ADVERTISEMENT

Mullins Announcing 10/23

Announcement is at 6pm ET. Final 3 are IU, UNC, and UCONN.

Unfortunately, no tweeted graphic with dragons, lions, lava, fire, and Irish bars of gold to dissect.

Potentially some dissectable hints from this post. UNC ball has a good handle. UCONN ball is a ball. And wearing #24 on the IU jersey seems like a good sign. If you take 24 minus the number of PU national titles, then you still have 24. So many things to consider...

Potentially some dissectable hints from this post. UNC ball has a good handle. UCONN ball is a ball. And wearing #24 on the IU jersey seems like a good sign. If you take 24 minus the number of PU national titles, then you still have 24. So many things to consider...

Ha. Well we are the centered and largest jersey…

Ha. Well we are the centered and largest jersey…
Good catch. My barber growing up was a big Bob Knight and IU fan and had his shop decked out in IU stuff. His last name was Moon and there's a pretty big moon in the background of the graphic too. The stars might be aligning.

At what point do the schools actually know? I think they've had a good idea since he cut his list.
Probably each recruitment is different. But it seems like right before most big announcements, everyone ends up knowing right before the actual announcement. Leads me to believe that usually happens because the players are telling the coaching staffs their decision, and then it leaks from there.

So I'd say "most" of them that have decision dates announced a head of time like Mullins, they don't tell the staffs until right before the announcement. If history repeats itself, we'll know his decision 15 minutes or so before he announces it publically.

If Mullins picks IU that just buys Woodson more time. Ugh.
Getting Mullins would be great for IU, no matter what it means for Woodson.

But if this years team lays an egg, I gotta think Woody would be out no matter what Mullins decides. And vice versa, if this years team is good, Mullins going elsewhere will have no impact on Woodson's standing.

In short, Woody being around or not is based on how this team plays. He's already proven he can get talent. He needs to prove he can coach them up.

Reactions: asindc and edub72
All Mullins has to do is talk to McNeeley and he is Storrs bound.
hopefully CMW and staff learned their lesson. These modern era iphone kids need constant stroking, tweets, follows, likes....emojis.....along with a shit ton of nil dollars.

meanwhile, circa fall 1983....

"Hello, Coach, this is Steve Alford"
"Hi Alford, what's the word?"
"Coach, I've decided I'm coming to play at IU"
"Sounds good Alford. Have a great Senior year. I'll see you in August. Be prepared to work your ass off. And tell your old man I said hello, and make sure he teaches you some defense this year. Otherwise, you are not starting for me. Ever."

"Will do coach. See you in August. Thanks"

Reactions: TR32
hopefully CMW and staff learned their lesson. These modern era iphone kids need constant stroking, tweets, follows, likes....emojis.....along with a shit ton of nil dollars.

"Sounds good Alford. Have a great Senior year. I'll see you in August. Be prepared to work your ass off. And tell your old man I said hello, and make sure he teaches you some defense this year. Otherwise, you are not starting for me. Ever."

Fully believe the communications thing was wildly overblown. McNeely was on record as late as the last couple weeks of the regular season talking about things he and the staff were discussing.

The program was in an awful spot at that time, however. There were rampant talks of player defections and Woodson losing his job.

I strongly suspect it was 2 things. Mgbako's draft status falling, and him likely being back (that wasn't likely when McNeely committed). And then all the uncertainty with the program at the time.

And then once he started having doubts and questions, I'm sure Woodson didn't take it all that well.

All just guesses, but pretty strong ones I think.

Hopefully Braylon has a similar excitement about IU bball as Liam did when he committed orginally. And then hopefully this season keeps him excited about coming to Bloomington.

Fully believe the communications thing was wildly overblown. McNeely was on record as late as the last couple weeks of the regular season talking about things he and the staff were discussing.

The program was in an awful spot at that time, however. There were rampant talks of player defections and Woodson losing his job.

I strongly suspect it was 2 things. Mgbako's draft status falling, and him likely being back (that wasn't likely when McNeely committed). And then all the uncertainty with the program at the time.

And then once he started having doubts and questions, I'm sure Woodson didn't take it all that well.

All just guesses, but pretty strong ones I think.

Hopefully Braylon has a similar excitement about IU bball as Liam did when he committed orginally. And then hopefully this season keeps him excited about coming to Bloomington.
winning does tend to cure most ills.

I am in my 50's and don't much about emoji's. In fact when I first heard of them I started scratching under my arms because it sounded like a condition.

NoW we wait for the first crystal ball and then we wait SOME MORE.

But if this years team lays an egg, I gotta think Woody would be out no matter what Mullins decides. And vice versa, if this years team is good, Mullins going elsewhere will have no impact on Woodson's standing.

In short, Woody being around or not is based on how this team plays. He's already proven he can get talent. He needs to prove he can coach them up.
Depends on what that egg is. I can’t see him being fired if he makes the tournament, even if the wheels totally come off and we vastly underachieve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT