ADVERTISEMENT

MSU in at #9 seed

Missing my point, most of the P5 teams will not play a top 2-3 MM team--esp on the road. I heard Painter complaining about ISU being left out, but I doubt he will make the trip to Terre Haute to play them next year to give them a shot at a big OOC win. If the teams they say you have to beat to get in refuse to play you, what can you do?
You can play at Mackey. You can play in Indy etc.. neutral courts like Gonzaga did early. They talk like they don’t have options but that’s BS. When you are small there is no advantage for P5’s to play at your place. How did FAU and Gonzaga etc…get OOC games? I call BS on ISU and others.

Reactions: raar2
You can play at Mackey. You can play in Indy etc.. neutral courts like Gonzaga did early. They talk like they don’t have options but that’s BS. When you are small there is no advantage for P5’s to play at your place. How did FAU and Gonzaga etc…get OOC games? I call BS on ISU and others.
Gonzaga is no longer a traditional mid-major so they are looked at more like a traditional P5 opponent, FAU's big games were AFTER they went to the FF and returned everyone, so no real negative impact for scheduling them this year. And you COULD play at Mackey (or fill in team) BUT again they have to be willing to play you, and next year what is the upside for ANY decent P5 team to schedule ISU, if you win you "should" if you lose you have a loss to a MM who did not make the tourney this year--there is zero advantage to play them at home and less to play them on the road, so you keep hearing the OOC SoS argument against them, because they (or others) can not get the games the committee wants to see them get

Gonzaga is no longer a traditional mid-major so they are looked at more like a traditional P5 opponent, FAU's big games were AFTER they went to the FF and returned everyone, so no real negative impact for scheduling them this year. And you COULD play at Mackey (or fill in team) BUT again they have to be willing to play you, and next year what is the upside for ANY decent P5 team to schedule ISU, if you win you "should" if you lose you have a loss to a MM who did not make the tourney this year--there is zero advantage to play them at home and less to play them on the road, so you keep hearing the OOC SoS argument against them, because they (or others) can not get the games the committee wants to see them get
One other thing. We wouldn’t be arguing this if this year didn’t have 5 bid stealers. Thats unprecedented. Matter of fact only 3 total combined in the last 4 years. ISU would be in if that would’ve tracked. The committee even said it on live broadcast yesterday. So they were technically good enough.

Hey dummy. They beat ISU. ISU conference is even crappier. You also missed that the B1G was #2 conference in those same metrics. Bleeding hearts.
Well, we beat MSU, so we should be in as well, right? (No, of course not.)

Dummy, really? Nice try at debating. A bad MSU team at 19-14 (hell, IU beat them) doesn't deserve to be in. A number of teams are much better. BiG will go down first weekend (maybe PU survives).
The craziest thing thrown at me by Purdue fans in the past few days is this: "IU got beat by Nebraska! Nebraska!"

Uh, Nebraska beat Purdue by 16 points, but the Purdue fans that bombarded me apparently don't pay attention.

When the Nebraska bombs are falling in, Nebraska can advance far in this tournament. I am not a Hoiberg fan, but (sigh) he seems to be yet another Big Ten coach that we must contend with.

Crap teams cause upsets....which destroys brackets. Take that away...the "madness" goes with it.
So does the fake, money-driven "madness" that CBS (or whatever network) has already started marketing, basically telling us in advance that upsets, close scores, last-minute shots, injured players, etc. only happen in the NCAA Tourney.

If the NCAA were even more $erious, they'd start the college season around October 1, expand the scholarships to 18-20 and let all 340+ Div. 1 teams in the NCAA Tourney. Then, they could have all the upsets, close scores, last-minute shots, injured players, etc. that money can buy.

There are no "student-athletes" any more anyway.

There are no "student-athletes" any more anyway.
Perhaps not, but there is wide spectrum of programs. Not every program is at a level 10 insofar as NIL, and a mercenary mentality.

Look at MSU and then Indiana state.

College basketball has major issues, and I have to admit it id like to see it implode if it’s going to be like this.

In the meantime the bigger the Goliath (and the smaller the David)….well I know who I’m rooting for.

Well, we beat MSU, so we should be in as well, right? (No, of course not.)
So put the resumes of teams being considered together. Does ISU resume beat Michigan states? Hell no. Not even close. Does Indiana states resume beat IUs other than the net? No. It doesn’t. ISU played a terrible schedule.

Reactions: indiana ed
The craziest thing thrown at me by Purdue fans in the past few days is this: "IU got beat by Nebraska! Nebraska!"

Uh, Nebraska beat Purdue by 16 points, but the Purdue fans that bombarded me apparently don't pay attention.

When the Nebraska bombs are falling in, Nebraska can advance far in this tournament. I am not a Hoiberg fan, but (sigh) he seems to be yet another Big Ten coach that we must contend with.
Hoiberg wouldn’t have survived just about anywhere else.

Last edited:
So put the resumes of teams being considered together. Does ISU resume beat Michigan states? Hell no. Not even close. Does Indiana states resume beat IUs other than the net? No. It doesn’t. ISU played a terrible schedule.
Several yrs ago someone on the NCAA Committee was talking about why they picked someone over another program, and they mentioned the strength of the part of their schedule which the team controlled. In other words,

Argh … lost in cyberspace, too lazy to type again.

Bottom line, they do a good job of scheduling teams in that part of the schedule that they control, and that should count for something on selection Sunday. It’s not just SOS, it’s who you schedule outside of the games you have to play.

Crappy teams lucking in to automatic berths skews the tournament field. Pitino is pissed-St Johns at 32 NET didn’t make it. To fix need to eliminate some of the auto bids or expand the tournament field.
St Johns has only one win vs a tournament team and a few very ugly losses. MSU doesnt have a loss worse than Q2, thats important.

Who did ISU beat? They literally had a 300 non conference rating. It’s teams like ISU that shows the NET is a bad metric. It can be cheated. The Missouri valley is a one bid conference. ISU had their chance. So yeah it’s ridiculous to argue for them.
Going 1-4 in quad one games also didn’t help their cause.

St Johns has only one win vs a tournament team and a few very ugly losses. MSU doesnt have a loss worse than Q2, thats important.
Nope. Anybody can schedule a ton of chances then scrape by winning a couple. Izzo was terrible this year and he got in on name alone at Seton Hall's expense. Without a doubt, the fact Baylor had an off night was the only reason they got in this year. A parting 'thank you' from CBS.

Oh- to qualify my statement, I mean anyone, as in anyone except Indiana.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I would hate that.
Every single team in D1 has a chance to get in the tourney, win your conference tournament.
The tourney won’t be better by having the 111th, 119th etc teams play.
They are already playing and that’s the problem.

Heck, 290 is playing with a losing record. They squeezed by Howard #273 that was 16-16.

Last edited:
The question is what principles should be the basis of selection for the tournament. I am going with transparency and fairness. We have neither. If there are objective standards we will have both. The elimination of the selection committee‘s power for murky back room political negotiations will be difficult.

UK’s first game is #126 Oakland who did beat Detroit Mercy.

UK’s AD is actually on the committee this year. I am sure he is the very embodiment of fairness and transparency.

Last edited:
Why is Virginia in? That one is a lot worse than MSU
This is a very good question. It was due to some murky decision.

Why did IU receive a gift of a 4 seed last year? Maybe because we had an IU bro on the committee and so we got one win against Kent State.

Last edited:
Funny that this committee is staffed with AD’s whose programs, and so in turn themselves personally, can benefit from tourney selections and seedings and to expect fairness and transparency. They all have friends, and maybe even family, to consider in addition to their employer.

Last edited:
Montana State with a losing record and a NET of 208 has their championship hopes dashed in an OT heartbreaker by #279 Grambling. I do wish Grambling the best of luck vs PU. :). :)

Last edited:
Wait a second dummy. My argument is that MSU doesn't deserve it. Agree ISU's schedule didn't add up but at least they won!!

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT