ADVERTISEMENT

MSU in at #9 seed

Hey dummy. They beat ISU. ISU conference is even crappier. You also missed that the B1G was #2 conference in those same metrics. Bleeding hearts.
I watched some of ISU’s tournament game they lost and I was not impressed. I think IU would’ve beaten them at the end of the season.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
I watched some of ISU’s tournament game they lost and I was not impressed. I think IU would’ve beaten them at the end of the season.
They would’ve gotten in but it’s a year they had 5 bids stolen. That tells you how crappy the lower seed teams are. Everyone loves Avila but when I watched him he’s the last guy down the court.

Hey dummy. They beat ISU. ISU conference is even crappier. You also missed that the B1G was #2 conference in those same metrics. Bleeding hearts.
And IU beat MSU, I guess they should have gotten in too, huh? I would much rather watch a 28-6 ISU team over a 19-14 team that finished 9th in the conference,,, that's what makes March Madness special. Now-a-days, pretty much nothing is special about "college" basketball. Oh well.

Dummy, really? Nice try at debating. A bad MSU team at 19-14 (hell, IU beat them) doesn't deserve to be in. A number of teams are much better. BiG will go down first weekend (maybe PU survives).

Reactions: raar2 and Stuffshot
So you think MSU deserved to get in?
They did more than ISU...

The bubble this year was so bad though, not a lot of griping going on for teams that missed out...like there is most seasons.

Crappy teams lucking in to automatic berths skews the tournament field. Pitino is pissed-St Johns at 32 NET didn’t make it. To fix need to eliminate some of the auto bids or expand the tournament field.

So......now this program is reduced to American Party Rental? Kids come to IU for a year...not because of the school....or the coach....strictly for the cash? And that is college basketball? Well, damm....at least IU has a pro coach with decades of experience working those trade deadlines. Can't shoot a lick...but we can nail down those money bags for bodies. Maybe he's the right guy after all.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Dummy, really? Nice try at debating. A bad MSU team at 19-14 (hell, IU beat them) doesn't deserve to be in. A number of teams are much better. BiG will go down first weekend (maybe PU survives).
Who did ISU beat? They literally had a 300 non conference rating. It’s teams like ISU that shows the NET is a bad metric. It can be cheated. The Missouri valley is a one bid conference. ISU had their chance. So yeah it’s ridiculous to argue for them.

Reactions: Middawg
Crappy teams lucking in to automatic berths skews the tournament field. Pitino is pissed-St Johns at 32 NET didn’t make it. To fix need to eliminate some of the auto bids or expand the tournament field.
Eliminating auto-bids would be an atrocious move and would completely kill programs from bottom-tier conferences like the NEC (Like FDU, don't forget), the SWAC, and the MEAC, not to mention being completely and totally unfair to their players. It would probably make it totally unfeasible and pointless for them to even remain at the D1 level.

Those schools would never sniff an at-large bid, even if they went undefeated or had one loss in the regular season, and it would make recruiting and player retention even harder for them because they wouldn't even be able to sell even the vaguest chance at going to the tourney with a good year. And their athletic programs tanking hurts the small colleges in these conferences way more than struggling sports teams hurt larger flagship schools from bigger conferences in terms of admissions and marketing.

Eliminating auto-bids would be an atrocious move and would completely kill programs from bottom-tier conferences like the NEC (Like FDU, don't forget), the SWAC, and the MEAC, not to mention being completely and totally unfair to their players. It would probably make it totally unfeasible and pointless for them to even remain at the D1 level.

Those schools would never sniff an at-large bid, even if they went undefeated or had one loss in the regular season, and it would make recruiting and player retention even harder for them because they wouldn't even be able to sell even the vaguest chance at going to the tourney with a good year. And their athletic programs tanking hurts the small colleges in these conferences way more than struggling sports teams hurt larger flagship schools from bigger conferences in terms of admissions and marketing.
Could just award autos to regular season and not conference tourney winners. I am just pointing out why so many crap teams taking up space in field with 68 spots.

Reactions: dayhr11
Could just award autos to regular season and not conference tourney winners. I am just pointing out why so many crap teams taking up space in field with 68 spots.
Crap teams cause upsets....which destroys brackets. Take that away...the "madness" goes with it.

That’s rare though. This year is unprecedented. I saw a graphic that they had 3 bid stealers in the 4 years prior combined. Most years the regular season champ almost always wins their tournaments. No reason to play conference tournaments if you award the regular season champs.

In any field there are lesser rated teams that can upset heavily favored teams.

I believe that was RMK’s position-Why have a tournament.

Any time you have auto bids and a limited field you will have crap teams occupying slots at the expense of teams that have much better results over the course of the season.

In any field there are lesser rated teams that can upset heavily favored teams.

I believe that was RMK’s position-Why have a tournament.

Any time you have auto bids and a limited field you will have crap teams occupying slots at the expense of teams that have much better results over the course of the season.
It Is implicit in how the tourney selection is structured.

Illinois is the only B1G team that is built to be FF worthy, in my opinion. They get lazy defensively, but they have the athleticism and talent to beat anyone. Purdue is still going to struggle at the guard position and there are teams that’ll deny the entry pass to Edey and cause massive fits and turnovers.

Illinois is the only B1G team that is built to be FF worthy, in my opinion. They get lazy defensively, but they have the athleticism and talent to beat anyone. Purdue is still going to struggle at the guard position and there are teams that’ll deny the entry pass to Edey and cause massive fits and turnovers.
Not to mention some refs might dare to call, gasp, fouls on Edey!

Who did ISU beat? They literally had a 300 non conference rating. It’s teams like ISU that shows the NET is a bad metric. It can be cheated. The Missouri valley is a one bid conference. ISU had their chance. So yeah it’s ridiculous to argue for them.
This is part of the problem, most top-level P5 teams will not play a lot of the mid-major teams--and definitely not on the road. The committee tells them to schedule better, but it takes 2 to schedule and if the top teams refuse to play them, how do they improve their schedule?

The P5 monopoly on spots if based on manipulation of scheduling, they do not play those teams who could be could enough to beat them as a MM, so those teams do not get the top-level wins and do not get into the tournament, why, because of the SoS. I forget who it was a few years ago that was left out because the committee said they did not have any good wins, the coach or AD was like we called the top 30 plus teams from the previous year and no one would play us!

This is part of the problem, most top-level P5 teams will not play a lot of the mid-major teams--and definitely not on the road. The committee tells them to schedule better, but it takes 2 to schedule and if the top teams refuse to play them, how do they improve their schedule?

The P5 monopoly on spots if based on manipulation of scheduling, they do not play those teams who could be could enough to beat them as a MM, so those teams do not get the top-level wins and do not get into the tournament, why, because of the SoS. I forget who it was a few years ago that was left out because the committee said they did not have any good wins, the coach or AD was like we called the top 30 plus teams from the previous year and no one would play us!
But in what world is the top 2 MVC better than a Michigan state or a ST. John’s? Is a road win at Drake the same as a road win at Purdue? According to the Net it is but I’d rather play at Drake. The P5 is better from 1-6 than ISU. Maybe even 1-9. The P5 should take precedence over these other leagues. The MVC is and always been a one bid league for the most part. Don’t get me wrong the 5 bid stealers hurt ISU more than anything else. Also, how did FAU get those ooc teams like Arizona etc. to play them. How about Gonzaga? I don’t buy it. The reason those teams don’t play a tougher ooc is because they don’t want to. The NET is clearly broken and this ISU and St. John’s snubbing shows it. ISU should never be in the top 50 with a schedule like that.

But in what world is the top 2 MVC better than a Michigan state or a ST. John’s? Is a road win at Drake the same as a road win at Purdue? According to the Net it is but I’d rather play at Drake. The P5 is better from 1-6 than ISU. Maybe even 1-9. The P5 should take precedence over these other leagues. The MVC is and always been a one bid league for the most part. Don’t get me wrong the 5 bid stealers hurt ISU more than anything else. Also, how did FAU get those ooc teams like Arizona etc. to play them. How about Gonzaga? I don’t buy it. The reason those teams don’t play a tougher ooc is because they don’t want to. The NET is clearly broken and this ISU and St. John’s snubbing shows it. ISU should never be in the top 50 with a schedule like that.
Missing my point, most of the P5 teams will not play a top 2-3 MM team--esp on the road. I heard Painter complaining about ISU being left out, but I doubt he will make the trip to Terre Haute to play them next year to give them a shot at a big OOC win. If the teams they say you have to beat to get in refuse to play you, what can you do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT