ADVERTISEMENT

Movies - woke or conservative

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
An election blog I follow mentioned a website that rates movies by being woke or supportive of conservative values. In each pair of movies below is one woke and one conservative, guess which is which. I won't have answers until Friday. Most of them are, I suspect, pretty easy. But if my guesses are right, I can't figure out why the WWII movie is woke.

1. Inspired by Toys:
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Barbie

2. Disney:
Beauty and the Beast (2017 remake)
The Lion King

3. World War II:
Das Boot
Casablanca

4. Post-WWII American Conflicts:
Born on the Fourth of July
Argo

5. Starring Tom Hanks:
The Da Vinci Code
Forrest Gump

6. Black Protagonists:
Django Unchained
Black Panther

7. Westerns:
High Noon
Blazing Saddles

8. Directed by Mel Gibson:
The Passion of the Christ
Braveheart

9. Urban Corruption:
Chinatown
Robocop

10. Presidents:
Frost/Nixon
Lincoln

11. Amoral Tycoons:
The Wolf of Wall Street
Citizen Kane

12. Sci-Fi:
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

13. Supernatural:
Ghost
Ghostbusters

14. Indiana Jones:
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

15. James Cameron Ocean Movies:
The Abyss
Titanic

no-i-dont-think.gif

An election blog I follow mentioned a website that rates movies by being woke or supportive of conservative values. In each pair of movies below is one woke and one conservative, guess which is which. I won't have answers until Friday. Most of them are, I suspect, pretty easy. But if my guesses are right, I can't figure out why the WWII movie is woke.

1. Inspired by Toys:
Barbie

2. Disney:
The Lion King

3. World War II:
Das Boot
Casablanca

Argo

5. Starring Tom Hanks:
The Da Vinci Code
Forrest Gump

6. Black Protagonists:
Django Unchained
Black Panther

7. Westerns:
High Noon
Blazing Saddles

Braveheart

9. Urban Corruption:
Chinatown
Robocop

10. Presidents:
Frost/Nixon
Lincoln

11. Amoral Tycoons:
The Wolf of Wall Street
Citizen Kane

12. Sci-Fi:

13. Supernatural:
Ghost
Ghostbusters

14. Indiana Jones:

The Abyss
Titanic
sherlock holmes no GIF by BBC

So people don't want to guess, but I truly don't get what makes Das Boot (or Casablanca) "woke". Both are great movies, I don't see politics in either. In fact, in many of the movies listed I don't see politics. Blazing Saddles is anti-racism, is that really how we are defining "woke"?

Reactions: larsIU
So people don't want to guess, but I truly don't get what makes Das Boot (or Casablanca) "woke". Both are great movies, I don't see politics in either. In fact, in many of the movies listed I don't see politics. Blazing Saddles is anti-racism, is that really how we are defining "woke"?
Blazing Saddles is definitely not woke. That movie couldn’t be made today.

That’s why I said no thanks to this game. I don’t think the movies listed make much sense.

Re Das Boot, I guess you could stretch (ridiculously) and say that one of its premises is cultural relativism? Or that not all WW II German sailors were evil? I haven’t seen the film.

Blazing Saddles is definitely not woke. That movie couldn’t be made today.

That’s why I said no thanks to this game. I don’t think the movies listed make much sense.

Re Das Boot, I guess you could stretch (ridiculously) and say that one of its premises is cultural relativism? Or that not all WW II German sailors were evil? I haven’t seen the film.
I have seen a couple of people claim BS couldn’t be made today.
Why?

1. Inspired by Toys:
Barbie

2. Disney:
The Lion King

3. World War II:
Das Boot
Casablanca

Argo

5. Starring Tom Hanks:
The Da Vinci Code
Forrest Gump

6. Black Protagonists:
Django Unchained
Black Panther

7. Westerns:
High Noon
Blazing Saddles

Braveheart

9. Urban Corruption:
Chinatown
Robocop

10. Presidents:
Frost/Nixon
Lincoln

11. Amoral Tycoons:
The Wolf of Wall Street
Citizen Kane

12. Sci-Fi:

13. Supernatural:
Ghost
Ghostbusters

14. Indiana Jones:

The Abyss
Titanic
You won't have answers on Friday either.

Woke is anything a far right conservative doesn't agree with, and if it's not woke to you, then you're a RINO.

They need labels.

Woke is anything a far right conservative doesn't agree with, and if it's not woke to you, then you're a RINO.

They need labels.
You're saying "they" need lables, while using labels.

And you're wrong about what woke means.

Or is George Will a "far right conservative" too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Both scenes have the same purpose...to make the racist white guys look like total dumbasses.

"That movie couldn't be made today" is just a throw away argument that means nothing.
They'll take him down eventually...

Both scenes have the same purpose...to make the racist white guys look like total dumbasses.

"That movie couldn't be made today" is just a throw away argument that means nothing.
I think the notion that cultural mores change is an obvious one.

Mel Brooks agrees with me:

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
The problem for me is that “woke” and “conservative “ are not opposites.

Sorry bucko. Being left of some of the folks in here doesn't specifically make one left. Life isn't binary. Hoping we back to a point where politics isn't either (short of eventually having to cast a vote).
Based on posts you have made to this forum going back a decade or more, I don't think anyone would label you as anything other than left of center. I am right of center, probably further right than quite a few. Just own it. Saying, "I am in the middle" is usually jus a person making the claim to prove they are the "rational" person in the room (in their own mind).

Which is what you did. "I am above the fray laughing at all of you...." Sure you are...

Why can't people just watch a film and enjoy it instead of trying to find some hidden meaning?

I've watched Transformers and couldn't tell you one way if it was woke or conservative.

What I do know is it wasn't as good as the first Transformers film.

Based on posts you have made to this forum going back a decade or more, I don't think anyone would label you as anything other than left of center. I am right of center, probably further right than quite a few. Just own it. Saying, "I am in the middle" is usually jus a person making the claim to prove they are the "rational" person in the room (in their own mind).

Which is what you did. "I am above the fray laughing at all of you...." Sure you are...
Pretty sure he was saying people between far right and left. Like if far left is 1 and far right is 10… somewhere between 2-9. Like you’re probably an 8-9.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Pretty sure he was saying people between far right and left. Like if far left is 1 and far right is 10… somewhere between 2-9. Like you’re probably an 8-9.
You can't claim 2-9 is middle though.

Can I be honest, what are we measuring? Economically I am probably a 6 to 7. Socially I am like a 9 to 9.5. Either way I am fine with admitting I am not in the middle.

Let's hope not. I wish he'd do more stuff. I'd like to see him just direct a genre movie every couple of years while waiting for the next one he's writing.
He's only directing 10 movies and he's already done 9. He might product some stuff. Who knows.

• Sad
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT