Most disappointing NCAA tourney losses

Discussion in 'TheHoosier.com IU Hoop Forum' started by Chicago-bound Hoosier, Mar 31, 2020.

1. minneman

minneman Senior
    Expand Collapse

I can't believe no one has shown to be a "true fan" by answering with "all of them" as any "true fan" would. So that's my answer: All of them.

Seriously though, the losses from the early to mid '90s were the worst for me. (Notice I didn't specifically say '92 or '93 per the OP's instructions.)

Radio Zero likes this.
  2. Radio Zero

Radio Zero Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

“And when the sun comes up,
    I'll be on top.
    You be right down there,
    Lookin’ up,
    And I might wave
    Come up here.
    But I don't see you
    Wavin’ now.
    I'm way down here
    Wonderin’ how,
    I'm gonna get you,
    But I know now,
    I'll just cry,
    Cry, I’ll just cry ...”

3. TerhuneHoosierfan

Expand Collapse

You hit the nail squarely on the head, oc. They may have well just stood up cardboard cut outs of our players in that Pepperdine game. And the worst was yet to come a couple of seasons later when they got completely outplayed losing to Indiana State in the Classic. Royce Waltman could flat out coach and if I remember correctly, they had Nate Green, Menser, Renn and Djibril Kante on that team. Talented tough hard nosed players who were well coached and never gave up. I think ISU lost to Texas in the NCAA Tournament that year.

The 90's with the misfortune of the Henderson injury and the turmoil closing out the decade was the handwriting on the wall.

43 TerhuneHoosierfan, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  4. Birnk403

Birnk403 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Royce Waltman

5. TerhuneHoosierfan

Expand Collapse

Yeah, I typed "Waltman." Damn phone! Happens all the time with names. I should have checked the spelling. :mad: I'll go back and edit my post before more people begin to bust my ba**s. ;) I was introduced to Royce at a restaurant in Terre Haute. Very nice man.

6. Birnk403

Birnk403 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Very intense on the floor and at practice, but extremely nice off of it.

7. Wiedersehen

Wiedersehen Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

Lots of good ones on here but Syracuse in ‘14 is the most recent and therefore still stings the most for me. That team was national championship good. If only they had a coach.

8. TR32

TR32 All-American
    Expand Collapse

98. I thought they played fairly well but we're beaten by a slightly better team. Although Jake Voskul was really annoying.

9. IUNorth

IUNorth All-American
    Expand Collapse

89...I was 10 and I cried in the back seat of my dads Oldsmobile on our way home from dinner.

92...I embedded my dads commemorative 76’ Hoosiers coin in our basement wall (I thought it was lucky at that point.

94...I had to control my emotions. I was at a friends house watching with his parents.

late 90s...don’t remember where I was or how mad I was. I’m sure I was really mad most years. But there weren’t really any high expectations for the tournament until Vic/Cody’s teams.

12...I watched in a muted, glowing anger...with my youngest child sleeping in my arms (he was about 10 days old). I can vividly remember how horrid our defense was. And it was the beginning of my hatred of Crean’s focus on that side of the ball. We had many possessions in that game where we literally didn’t guard Kidd-Gilchrest. Number 2 pick in the ensuing draft MKG.

13...had about 50 family members up stairs for my youngest’s first birthday party. I’ll never forget how quiet they all were when I emerged from the basement. Made it exponentially worse. I actually think our defense is what lost us that game more than our inability to score on their zone. Creating any sort of transition opportunities with your defense was/is the key to beating the good Cuse zone teams. But watching Triche and MCW dominate us didn’t surprise me in the end. When I saw the draw the week before, I knew it was the worst S16 matchup we could have possibly had.

16...was so frustrating because UNC went OFF from the 3. Which was not their MO. I actually thought we played decent defense. They just shot out of their minds. And with their dominating interior play, there was no way we could handle it.

02...edited for that run. I was living in Iowa City. Almost got into a fight because of how loud I was yelling at my TV. Had an Iowa football player who lived in my apartment building come to my door after the Duke game. Needless to say I yelled into a pillow in the ensuing games. I remember nearly bursting a blood vessel when Davis decided to start pressing Maryland relatively late in the game. Right after Odle put us up 1. They got a layup and open 3. Game was basically over. Still one of the dumbest and least talked about coaching decisions I’ve ever seen. We had turned that game in our favor. Not saying we would have won. But we were never gonna press Steve Blake and Juan Dixon successfully. So dumb.

06...watched the loss to Gonzaga during my bachelor party. Didn’t get too mad. Knew we weren’t gonna stop Morrison or that team.

49 IUNorth, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020