ADVERTISEMENT

More on the NIL mess I found interesting... From today's IBJ.

jsenleo

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2003
A few excerpts and quotes on the NCAA's proposed mandatory disclosure rules that I found interesting...

..... For some, the plan looks like an overstep by the Indianapolis-based NCAA and power conferences that will eventually lead them back to court. “Honest question here for those in the #NIL space, as well as all fans of sports: WHY should a college athlete be required to submit, for approval by the NCAA (or any other group) an NIL deal over $600 (as proposed by the NCAA)?” Russell White, the head of The Collective Association, posted on social media.

.... Other legal experts see ample precedent in professional sports leagues to support the attempt to regulate NIL. "The idea that there’s going to be a whole lot of litigation around this disclosure requirement, to me, was not completely well thought out,” said Jay Ezelle, an Alabama attorney who has been involved in NCAA cases and antitrust lawsuits.

.... Sports law attorney Mit Winter said disclosure isn’t as problematic as rules that target what the NCAA deems to be boosters and the difficulty in determining fair-market value.

And finally,
..... Gabe Feldman, a sports law professor at Tulane, said it is common for pro leagues to regulate outside sources of income for athletes to prevent circumvention of salary caps and luxury taxes by teams. “Now the big difference is, obviously, the pro sports rules are collectively bargained. These are not. So there will there will be no antitrust immunity for these cases,” Feldman said.

Here's a link to the whole article... probably a pay wall.
IBJ - NIL Article from 8-2-2024

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Why not just have the players form a players association so that they can negotiate terms?

Seems like a better option then just letting players get whatever they want.
Which would need to be, more or less, a union. Since college sports is basically made up of a bunch of independently run associations and schools, the problem with that is, not every school or player could legally be required to join .... creating a whole 'nuther bag 'o poop to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT