ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Drafts … Glasser and Yoho

I think I’d sign were I Yoho … I think Glasser should try for a higher round next year.

I think I’d sign were I Yoho … I think Glasser should try for a higher round next year.
Glasser is out of eligibility. He will have some difficulty getting near the slot value of his selection since he has no leverage being out of eligibility. Yoho on the other hand has the option of heading to Arkansas if he doesn't like the bonus offer from the team that drafted him, so he has some leverage. Maybe he was heading to Arkansas anyway.

The draft finished just a little while ago with the last three rounds loaded with pitchers, and many of those players in those rounds will return to campus unless they are out of eligibility, and the high school players in those rounds will probably show up on campus hoping to improve on their draft standing down the road. With most of IU's key players ineligible for the draft, the draft didn't have any impact on IU. Wiggins, the highest ranked IU recruit coming out of high school, was also not drafted.

Ellis, Jessee, and Whalen who entered the portal were not drafted also.

Last edited:
A total of 30 B1G players were drafted. Here is a complete list of those players. Needless to say, there will probably be some on this list that elect to return to school.

Note: OF Keaton Anthony was one of the Iowa players that was suspended over the gambling issue and did not play again for the Hawkeyes. He will sign as a free agent with the Phillies after not being drafted. Many felt he would go fairly high in the draft before the gambling issue surfaced. Iowa also lost redshirt junior RHP Will Christoperson who will sign with the Angels as a free agent. The Hawkeyes easily led the B1G in team ERA this past season, but lost three pitchers to the draft. They still have two weekend starters back in Brecht and Morgan.

2023 MLB DRAFT
NAMEBIG TEN SCHOOLPOSITIONROUNDPICKMLB TEAM
Matt ShawMarylandSS113Chicago Cubs
Brice MatthewsNebraskaSS128Houston Astros
Ryan LaskoRutgersOF241Oakland Athletics
Mitch JebbMichigan StateSS242Pittsburgh Pirates
Max AndersonNebraska2B245Detroit Tigers
Brock VradenburgMichigan State1B378Miami Marlins
Isaiah CoupetOhio StateLHP4109Colorado Rockies
Emmett OlsonNebraskaLHP4110Miami Marlins
Connor O'HalloranMichiganLHP5157Toronto Blue Jays
Jay HarryPenn StateSS6177Minnesota Twins
Luke ShligerMarylandC6180San Francisco Giants
Jason SavacoolMarylandRHP6185St. Louis Cardinals
Jack WenningerIllinoisRHP6186New York Mets
George KlassenMinnesotaRHP6193Philadelphia Phillies
Jared SimpsonIowaLHP8225Washington Nationals
Brett BatemanMinnesotaOF8236Chicago Cubs
Craig YohoIndianaRHP8242Milwaukee Brewers
Nick LorussoMaryland3B9276New York Mets
Riley GowensIllinoisRHP9279Atlanta Braves
Phillip GlasserIndianaSS10285Washington Nationals
Jace KaminskaNebraskaRHP10292Colorado Rockies
Drew ConoverRutgersRHP11316Oakland Athletics
Ty LangenbergIowaRHP11327Minnesota Twins
Bryan BroeckerMichigan StateC13393Tampa Bay Rays
Nigel BelgraveMarylandRHP15443Miami Marlins
Josh TimmermanOhio StateRHP16482Milwaukee Brewers
Kade KernOhio StateOF17519Atlanta Braves
Daniel OuderkirkPenn StateRHP18547Seattle Mariners
Nick DeanMarylandRHP19566Chicago Cubs
Tommy KaneMarylandLHP19570San Francisco Giants

Not sure what the deal was with Andrew Wiggins. He was listed at one time a top 100 recruit and I thought I saw a revised list that had him in a list of top 250 prospects. Was very surprised that he went undrafted. Hopefully that means he will not sign as an undrafted free agent with someone and we will get to see him in an IU uniform.

Not sure what the deal was with Andrew Wiggins. He was listed at one time a top 100 recruit and I thought I saw a revised list that had him in a list of top 250 prospects. Was very surprised that he went undrafted. Hopefully that means he will not sign as an undrafted free agent with someone and we will get to see him in an IU uniform.
Could it be that he had talked to scouts and said something to the effect of, "if i'm not drafted by round n, don't bother after round n." Just a guess at a possibility. If not, then hopefully that fuels his fire by not getting drafted.

Before the draft, I saw one list of the top 100 high school players eligible for the draft and Wiggins was 35th in that ranking. I can't remember where I saw that list since there are several out there. Wiggins now has a chance to excel for IU much like Taylor. IU has been pretty fortunate of late to get top talent on campus.

Could it be that he had talked to scouts and said something to the effect of, "if i'm not drafted by round n, don't bother after round n." Just a guess at a possibility. If not, then hopefully that fuels his fire by not getting drafted.
You are probably right a major part of the draft is how is it that they can sign the player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT