ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Henderson

Battimi

Senior
Apr 26, 2002
I throw out Mitch Henderson name because my vote is too find the up-and-comer and not overpay for a known name. We have done that. It served a purpose at the time, but things should have been done differently.

Let's find the guy who gets the most from the least. Let's find the guy who has constrained resources but finds a way to recruit and win consistently. If that person or persons have Indiana ties - great. That would be all the better.

Mitch Henderson is from Indiana. He has a fantastic background and is young and resource constrained. He is worth a look.

I'm not in the Donovan and Alford camps. Donovan because it is too much money for a mercenary. Alford is Crean to me, but he is from Indiana and played at Indiana. However, from a coaching standpoint he strikes me as no better than TC. He record is there for everyone to see and same goes for Crean.

I throw out Mitch Henderson name because my vote is too find the up-and-comer and not overpay for a known name. We have done that. It served a purpose at the time, but things should have been done differently.

Let's find the guy who gets the most from the least. Let's find the guy who has constrained resources but finds a way to recruit and win consistently. If that person or persons have Indiana ties - great. That would be all the better.

Mitch Henderson is from Indiana. He has a fantastic background and is young and resource constrained. He is worth a look.

I'm not in the Donovan and Alford camps. Donovan because it is too much money for a mercenary. Alford is Crean to me, but he is from Indiana and played at Indiana. However, from a coaching standpoint he strikes me as no better than TC. He record is there for everyone to see and same goes for Crean.
A mercenary? What does that even mean? He was at Florida for 19 years. He's had 4 jobs in 28 years.

Why do we need to hire a guy who is resource constrained? I'd get it if it was the football program, but even that isn't so much resources (our facilities are becoming top notch) as reputation. How is the basketball program in any way "resource constrained?"

Also, there is a 0% chance that we hire that guy.

I think he is a good coach but he has yet to prove that he'd be able to do it in a stronger conference.

So, how much money does a coach have to be paid to be considered a mercenary? Would Henderson meet your definition of a mercenary?

So, how much money does a coach have to be paid to be considered a mercenary? Would Henderson meet your definition of a mercenary?
I would define mercenary as a highly paid coach with a proven high major/NBA track record that would have no existing ties or loyalty to the state or the university.

That could work out for us, but has not in the past.

A mercenary? What does that even mean? He was at Florida for 19 years. He's had 4 jobs in 28 years.

Why do we need to hire a guy who is resource constrained? I'd get it if it was the football program, but even that isn't so much resources (our facilities are becoming top notch) as reputation. How is the basketball program in any way "resource constrained?"

Also, there is a 0% chance that we hire that guy.
We are not resource constrained. I never said that. I believe that moving a guy up to Indiana that is resourced constrained results in having some real upside for both side. Knight was resourced constrained at Army, he was a Midwestern guy and took the IU job after 20 years of mediocrity.

Was Coach K a big time hire at Duke?

Was Brad Stevens a big time hire at Buter?

In order to restore the order of old IU you go with a proven winner...not an up and comer...Fred Glass said as much in his presser...IU will have the pick of the lot...from the NCAA...and the league...

I don't want to bargain shop for a coach and go through this again in a few years. I don't care what we pay the next coach as long as they win. Winning brings in revenue. We can afford an elite coach. There are costs in ticket sales, sponsors, registered apparel and other items to hire a cheap coach that allows the program to fail.

You seem to be hung up on what people earn. I suggest you should allow others to get paid based on the market and skill level.

I would define mercenary as a highly paid coach with a proven high major/NBA track record that would have no existing ties or loyalty to the state or the university.

That could work out for us, but has not in the past.
Ok . . . I am a bit surprised by your definition but its your definition so, thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT