ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State hit with NCAA sanctions: Tutor took exams for football, basketball players

Im just waiting for LSU, Kansas, Arizona... good god how long is this going to take when there is direct evidence of arranging payments.

Sorry- not trying to hi-jack your thread. Mississippi State is....well, I can't think of any players from that school but it doesn't matter because Ben Howland is a cheater and now he should be Sampsoned if he was involved.

Im just waiting for LSU, Kansas, Arizona... good god how long is this going to take when there is direct evidence of arranging payments.
So far these "little" schools that have been hit hard were the self-reporting ones. Perhaps the process is just not as advanced in the case of the big fish.

Sorry- not trying to hi-jack your thread. Mississippi State is....well, I can't think of any players from that school but it doesn't matter because Ben Howland is a cheater and now he should be Sampsoned if he was involved.
Arizona, LSU and the Jayhawks, what the heck is the hold up?

"The university and enforcement staff worked together to determine appropriate Level I-mitigated penalties for the university by using Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines.

"Those penalties, which do not include postseason bans for either sport, are listed below."

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...alties-john-cohen-mark-keenum-msu/2041804001/
Let's see if I've got this right. Mississippi St. gets penalties for a tutor taking tests but UNC gets nothing for letting people take bogus classes and probably getting an A for it? Sounds so fair to me. The moral of the story: Just bypass tudors because I guess you don't need a tutor for a bogus class. Wow. The equity of it ll.

Let's see if I've got this right. Mississippi St. gets penalties for a tutor taking tests but UNC gets nothing for letting people take bogus classes and probably getting an A for it? Sounds so fair to me. The moral of the story: Just bypass tudors because I guess you don't need a tutor for a bogus class. Wow. The equity of it ll.
Pretty much nailed it,

F*** the NCAA they're a joke.

Reactions: BigMobe
North Carolina had Athletes taking bogus classes for years so the NCAA penalizes Miss. State. Meanwhile 'Ol Roy says, Aw shucks I didn't know that was happening, and then rakes in the best player in the nation Cole Anthony. NCAA infractions committee is a joke.
When is Bill Self going to be fired for paying players?

Last edited:
North Carolina proved that when scandal brews you fight the NCAA with everything you have. You never self report. IU essentially asked to have its program gutted.
First of all I thought IU was crazy to hire Sampson. His track record should have been a hint. It hurt the program. The sh$$ we are seeing now with these major programs though makes Sampson look like a choir boy in comparison. How can these programs continue to get major recruits and not be held accountable for all the violations? UNC should have gotten nailed. Arizona too. Kansas allegedly offered Zion big bucks but he ends up at Duke? I'd love to hear what Bob Knight thinks of all this. Yes, and I'm a Purdue fan.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Doesn't matter if you violate rules if you don't self report and are N.Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona
What rules did each of those schools violate, when, what were the NCAA allegations and rulings, and what was the NCAA’s rationale for not punishing them?

Face it, the “don’t self report” babble has always been complete nonsense.

North Carolina proved that when scandal brews you fight the NCAA with everything you have. You never self report. IU essentially asked to have its program gutted.

Gents...I covered this before.

UNC was indeed a university and an academic scandal that benefitted the basketball program and other marginal students. A stain on their reputation.

It was not however an NCAA violation. I don't like it more than anyone else, but it is the truth.

I understand the self-reporting discussion, but that is...a different discussion.

Gents...I covered this before.

UNC was indeed a university and an academic scandal that benefitted the basketball program and other marginal students. A stain on their reputation.

It was not however an NCAA violation. I don't like it more than anyone else, but it is the truth.

I understand the self-reporting discussion, but that is...a different discussion.
Isn't something that illegally benefits the basketball program an NCAA violation?

Nothing is going to happen to arizona or kansas. To big to fail.

Isn't something that illegally benefits the basketball program an NCAA violation?
It benefitted certain students throughout the university, not just athletes. Should Purdue have been punished for the special curriculum put in place for Glen Robinson?

It benefitted certain students throughout the university, not just athletes. Should Purdue have been punished for the special curriculum put in place for Glen Robinson?
It might have kept basketball players eligible. That should be a violation. It was a bogus class. Defend UNC all you want. And Bob Knight would certainly agree. Alford got suspended a game for posing fully clothed for a charity calendar. I find if significantly worse than that. And UNC got NOTHING!

It might have kept basketball players eligible. That should be a violation. It was a bogus class. Defend UNC all you want. And Bob Knight would certainly agree. Alford got suspended a game for posing fully clothed for a charity calendar. I find if significantly worse than that. And UNC got NOTHING!
Every school, with very few exceptions, has classes that keep athletes eligible. Better be careful if you want the NCAA deciding what is and isn’t acceptable. If you do that, why wouldn’t you govern admissions, too?

We all might believe this should be the case, particularly since they were fake classes. But since they were available to all students...it is beyond the NCAA purview. So what we have is a university academic scandal that put a stain on UNC's reputation. And yes, some athletes "benefitted". We don't know if the players would have been ineligible without the classes...but it doesn't matter anyway, for the reasons already mentioned.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

As silly as it sounds; #12 posing for the Goo Phoo Boo calendar was a direct NCAA violation.

The irony was classic however, as he was suspended for the KY game and it was not lost on Knight.

I don't disagree but note that the link above says the offense was committed when "a former part-time MSU athletics department tutor took exams and completed assignments" for 10 football and basketball players. In other words, a member of the athletic department was definitely involved in the Mississippi State violation, but there is no sign that this violation benefited non-athletes in the general student body.

In contrast, the NCAA dodged taking action against NCU specifically because the bogus classes etc. were made available to the entire student population.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...th-carolina-scandal-ncaa-violations-sanctions

Still seems illogical and disgraceful to me, but that seems to be the difference in the twisted minds of the NCAA quasi-enforcers.

"The university and enforcement staff worked together to determine appropriate Level I-mitigated penalties for the university by using Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines.

"Those penalties, which do not include postseason bans for either sport, are listed below."

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...alties-john-cohen-mark-keenum-msu/2041804001/
What is worse, taking an exam in a legit class or having players take classes that are nothing ie North Carolina?

I don't disagree but note that the link above says the offense was committed when "a former part-time MSU athletics department tutor took exams and completed assignments" for 10 football and basketball players. In other words, a member of the athletic department was definitely involved in the Mississippi State violation, but there is no sign that this violation benefited non-athletes in the general student body.

In contrast, the NCAA dodged taking action against NCU specifically because the bogus classes etc. were made available to the entire student population.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...th-carolina-scandal-ncaa-violations-sanctions

Still seems illogical and disgraceful to me, but that seems to be the difference in the twisted minds of the NCAA quasi-enforcers.
UNC smartly made the classes available to all students, but the intent of the bogus "paper" classes was obvious.

I saw a doc in which it was stated that nearly half of the students who took those fake classes were athletes. What percentage of the UNC student body are athletes?

UNC smartly made the classes available to all students, but the intent of the bogus "paper" classes was obvious.

I saw a doc in which it was stated that nearly half of the students who took those fake classes were athletes. What percentage of the UNC student body are athletes?
So UNC is better at cheating to not get caught than Miss St.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT