ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota - 4 Key Stats

Tasmanian Devil

All-American
May 27, 2010
As I talked about in the Romeo Langford ... thread, there are 4 key stats I look at in relation to how the team I'm rooting for performs. Let's take a look at tonight's game against Minnesota.

Formatted: FGA / effFG % / FTA / FT% (OR / TO)

IU 75 / 39.3 / 18/ 83.3 / (20 / 14)

Minn 62 / 43.5 / 28 / 75.0 / (13 / 12)

A surprise we lost? Not really.

As I talked about in the Romeo Langford ... thread, there are 4 key stats I look at in relation to how the team I'm rooting for performs. Let's take a look at tonight's game against Minnesota.

Formatted: FGA / effFG % / FTA / FT% (OR / TO)

IU 75 / 39.3 / 18/ 83.3 / (20 / 14)

Minn 62 / 43.5 / 28 / 75.0 / (13 / 12)

A surprise we lost? Not really.

You have 7 more offensive rebounds and lose by a point? That's a little surprising.
Iu has lost some close games and I think with Hartman and OG they are probably wins.
Yes, they weren't playing well before OG went down but losing Hartman was huge. He was a spark plug that could elevate the team. If Crean is back he'd be a damn fool not to bring him back.
I've never thought that highly of Crean as iu's coach but it would've been asking a lot of any coach to overcome the loss of 2 very significant players.
I quit knocking Crean after Purdue's 2 letdowns in the Big Dance. No room to talk there.
Again I hope he's back.

You have 7 more offensive rebounds and lose by a point? That's a little surprising.
Iu has lost some close games and I think with Hartman and OG they are probably wins.
Again I hope he's back.
Your observation validates a point I've long made about teams coached by Crean.

Crean's system is over-reliant on offensive success (ie: shooting the basketball). But when shots aren't falling, they too often lose because of an inability to execute well other parts of the game - which is the whole point of these stats.

You can't give away possessions like his teams do (historically, 1 in 5 ends in TO's) and have a weak defense yet expect to win - and win big - on a consistent basis. Those issues were there last year, but with Yogi and Troy you had enough individual offensive skill to mask them somewhat.

We know why you want him back. If I were in your shoes I'd feel the same way.

Reactions: BigMobe and thoops7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT