ADVERTISEMENT

Mercer upset about no fans allowed this weekend...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Here's a really interesting article I just saw today, and I can't blame him for being upset.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Here's a really interesting article I just saw today, and I can't blame him for being upset.

The no fans has been, and is now more so, ridiculous. This weekend is on the University IMO even more than Marion County.

The B1G has hurt baseball across the conference this year. Blocking the third paid assistant, prohibiting OOC games, etc. This approach has perhaps hurt Indiana slightly more given the way Mercer wants to approach the pre-conference season and mid-week games especially given the make up of this year’s team. However, those things are out of control of the team and coaches. The entire team, including coaches, has had a disappointing year IMO. I HOPE I AM WRONG, but I don’t see this team making the field of 64, and before the season started I believed they would make it easily and quite possibly advance.

Reactions: Seyton
The no fans has been, and is now more so, ridiculous. This weekend is on the University IMO even more than Marion County.

The B1G has hurt baseball across the conference this year. Blocking the third paid assistant, prohibiting OOC games, etc. This approach has perhaps hurt Indiana slightly more given the way Mercer wants to approach the pre-conference season and mid-week games especially given the make up of this year’s team. However, those things are out of control of the team and coaches. The entire team, including coaches, has had a disappointing year IMO. I HOPE I AM WRONG, but I don’t see this team making the field of 64, and before the season started I believed they would make it easily and quite possibly advance.

I'm related to a team member, so I've seen quite a few games this year. I definitely think the no fans policy has affected this team negatively. There is no home field advantage at all. It is all very weird. I hope Mercer doesn't just leave and tell IU to stick it at this point.

The NCAA has announced that there can be 100 percent capacity for the postseason in both baseball and softball; however, that doesn't override local restrictions in place. I'm seeing more and more schools, even at this late date, loosening their restrictions for outdoor sports, and they are following the science that the chances of catching the virus outdoors are quite slim. It's all moot after this weekend, and it's pretty much too late for them to change things at IU. Sometimes I think the powers that be have dug in their heels on this subject, and they just don't like critics challenging their authority or power over people, and they were not going to change their decision no matter what. That's just my own personal feeling on it. Here's part of a tweet that I saw:

IT’S OFFICIAL: The
@NCAA
announces local and state guidelines will guide capacity limits in the baseball and softball postseasons. 100 percent will be allowed. Also, masks and distancing will NOT be required at the ballparks.

Reactions: Seyton
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT