ADVERTISEMENT

McDonnell

Hoosier71

Senior
Mar 11, 2009
Saw where Louisville inked Dan McDonnell to a 10 year deal for a million per, making him the highest paid coach in college baseball. Apparently Texas was sniffing around.

Apart from being in a power baseball conference, what is Louisville doing that IU could be emulating? I know that Lemonis was the top assistant down there and is surely bringing some of what was learned there to IU baseball, but just curious if there is anything particular that Louisville has done to sustain the success and put them into a position where they can make that kind of huge investment into the program. Does IU lack anything still from a facility standpoint? Obviously scheduling needs to improve. Just curious as to thoughts from those out there that know more about this than I.

Reactions: Hoosier42
U of L does a very good job promoting all of their sports and baseball is no exception. IU has improved but can do more, IMO.

I believe that IU actually has an opportunity to surpass U of L in baseball. IU, Maryland, & OSU by virtue of location, southern most schools in a very northern league should dominate the B1G. Look at North Carolina this year in the ACC, better SOS & RPI than half the CWS participants but left out. The ACC is always going to be loaded and U of L will be in a fight every season.

The B1G schools are rolling in dough and the ability to spend relatively small dollars in baseball compared to football and basketball can make a big difference.

Obviously recent success helps and there are also older alums who help as well, Scott Rolen for the example.

A big advantage IU has is the very strong youth programs in central Indiana e.g. Indianabullsbaseball.org excellent facilities and training, and with the Bulls an Indiana only approach in constructing their teams. This could be a talent gold mine for IU.

My short term concerns are next season with a bunch of holes to fill, and who Purdue hires. Travis Jewett will surely take a head coaching job this year and he could be dangerous depending on where he lands. Long term the Sembower field days are gone!

Agree with everything said. I think that IU should really be the yearly standard of excellence in the Big Ten, based on location, local talent, and recent success. Obviously competing against southern and western schools will still be a bear. I just find myself wondering what specifically Louisville has going for them that has led to their sustained success.

Geographically, they are less than 100 miles further south, so climate would seem not to be a reason for the difference. They had a load of success before joining the ACC, so conference affiliation isn't a major factor. Having a great coach/staff seems to be a "unique" factor to their program.

Really hope that the athletic department continues to invest into the program infrastructure. New scoreboard/video screen and other amenities would be great.

Agree with everything said. I think that IU should really be the yearly standard of excellence in the Big Ten, based on location, local talent, and recent success. Obviously competing against southern and western schools will still be a bear. I just find myself wondering what specifically Louisville has going for them that has led to their sustained success.

Geographically, they are less than 100 miles further south, so climate would seem not to be a reason for the difference. They had a load of success before joining the ACC, so conference affiliation isn't a major factor. Having a great coach/staff seems to be a "unique" factor to their program.

Really hope that the athletic department continues to invest into the program infrastructure. New scoreboard/video screen and other amenities would be great.

It's pretty simple. You recruit top talent, have success on the field and in the postseason, and play in a premier confrence. UL has been doing that for 10-15 years, which makes recruiting easier for them.

I get that. Good coaching, good recruiting, and on-field success build off each other. Just curious whether there was anything else "needed" at IU to allow for that level of success. We'd all like to have a program like theirs...

I get that. Good coaching, good recruiting, and on-field success build off each other. Just curious whether there was anything else "needed" at IU to allow for that level of success. We'd all like to have a program like theirs...

What's needed is time. Time to recruit and develop that talent. What's also needed, the bottom half of the league to get at least competitive. The big is already disadvantaged having a short confrence season.

Reactions: funkyhoosier
Saw where Louisville inked Dan McDonnell to a 10 year deal for a million per, making him the highest paid coach in college baseball. Apparently Texas was sniffing around.

Apart from being in a power baseball conference, what is Louisville doing that IU could be emulating? I know that Lemonis was the top assistant down there and is surely bringing some of what was learned there to IU baseball, but just curious if there is anything particular that Louisville has done to sustain the success and put them into a position where they can make that kind of huge investment into the program. Does IU lack anything still from a facility standpoint? Obviously scheduling needs to improve. Just curious as to thoughts from those out there that know more about this than I.

First, Lemonis needs time to re-stock on recruiting. I hope he can get it done. Second, UL has a lot of money coming in locally because they have a lot of corporate $. It's the same way with all of their sports. Jurich, the AD, is phenomenal at his job.

Specific to baseball, they sell beer at games and don't charge admission. They get good attendance due to this. I would guess beer sales alone may pay for the contract, ha.

First, Lemonis needs time to re-stock on recruiting. I hope he can get it done. Second, UL has a lot of money coming in locally because they have a lot of corporate $. It's the same way with all of their sports. Jurich, the AD, is phenomenal at his job.

Specific to baseball, they sell beer at games and don't charge admission. They get good attendance due to this. I would guess beer sales alone may pay for the contract, ha.
We actually had better attendance than them last year. Not sure about this year.

But yes, UofL is the area's pro team. We're doing fine $$$ wise, but we just don't have the corporate resources they do.

That's what I've always heard regarding UofL athletics. I'm from that area, and have seen and heard about the corporate money that flows into UofL athletics from Yum!, Papa John's, and some of the health care providers in the area. Sort of seems like UofL is a bit unique in that sort of support, particularly compared to Big Ten schools. I've not even seen that type of sponsorship with Big Ten schools located in large metro areas, like Northwestern, Ohio State, and Minnesota (apart from TCF Bank Stadium). Interesting.

Lemonis clearly needs time to do his thing. It's just that when you see the factors that all seem to stack in IU's favor in the Big Ten, you want to make sure that everything is there for the coaches/players to capitalize.

Reactions: RBB89

It's coming. Indiana just seems to be a handful of years behind UofL on these things.

UofL got their field upgraded to turf, a few years later Coach Smith gets IUs upgraded.

UofL made it to the CWS and then a few years later IU made it and actually beat UofL there.

The reason imo why UofL and IU are different as of right now is just the coaching change. If Smith stayed, there's no doubt in my mind we'd be ranked top 20 both years.

But I do think Indiana will get there under Lemonis. Just needs a few more recruiting classes to get what he's wanting. He's got great players coming in and with all the top notch travel ball organizations in the state to pick from (Lids Indiana Bulls, Indiana Prospects, Ironmen), in the words of Mike Davis, help is on the way. Lol.

Just curious. Regarding recruiting, is there any influence from sneaker/equipment manufacturers, like that is perceived in basketball? I'm not sure that Adidas is much of a player in baseball, but just curious. Obviously, it doesn't seem to have any ill effect on Louisville.

Recently have started following college baseball a bit closer, so apologies if this is a dumb question.

U of L does a very good job promoting all of their sports and baseball is no exception. IU has improved but can do more, IMO.

I believe that IU actually has an opportunity to surpass U of L in baseball. IU, Maryland, & OSU by virtue of location, southern most schools in a very northern league should dominate the B1G. Look at North Carolina this year in the ACC, better SOS & RPI than half the CWS participants but left out. The ACC is always going to be loaded and U of L will be in a fight every season.

It will never be a benefit to be in the Big Ten vs the ACC for a baseball school, no matter who gets left out of the NCAA tourney in a specific season. Fact is, Carolina got screwed and should have been in before a few of their own conference mates and several other schools nationally. The ACC was the best overall conference while the Big Ten was 7th overall. It's not even remotely close at this stage between the ACC/SEC and the Big Ten. They are miles ahead, the bottom half of the Big Ten is just really poor. The ACC had 3 national seeds and got 10 teams overall in the tourney, that's crazy.

I actually think Nebraska is positioned just as well if not better than Indiana or OSU despite getting pummeled by Oklahoma State today 6-0. Nebraska is the "sport" in town and they clearly have access to monies.

The Big Ten just isn't in the national "conversation" as a conference at this point-in-time. It took a 9th inning rally from OSU to keep the Big Ten from being swept yesterday. Maybe someday the conference will get a lot deeper but right now it simply isn't. Not a single Big Ten team had a chance of doing anything remotely exciting in the tourney.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling

Jurich >>>>>>>>>>> Fanboy

They have an AD that gets it. Glass is a lot like Tom Crean. He does just enough to make people think he's worth keeping around, but he never will get the department to the point of being top echelon.

Agree regarding Jurich/Glass. Jurich treats the AD at Louisville like the massive business that it is. I've always felt like Glass approaches his job as a fan, first and foremost. I appreciate the fact that he deeply cares, as an alum and fan, but I tend to believe that he lacks a certain business-first approach to the operation. Not sure exactly what the difference would be within IU's AD with such a business-oriented approach, though.

Agree regarding Jurich/Glass. Jurich treats the AD at Louisville like the massive business that it is. I've always felt like Glass approaches his job as a fan, first and foremost. I appreciate the fact that he deeply cares, as an alum and fan, but I tend to believe that he lacks a certain business-first approach to the operation. Not sure exactly what the difference would be within IU's AD with such a business-oriented approach, though.
Jurich has been very successful, especially in gaining donations and sponsorships, but also has a major prostitution scandal to deal with and there have been rumors of shadiness involving him for years. Glass is a lawyer, so he's not just some guy off the couch. What exactly is it that you want him to do? You said you like Lemonis (who came from UofL). We're massively upgrading multiple facilities. Glass has gotten like the 5 largest gifts in the history of the AD and has set donation records each of the past 3-4 years. He balanced the budget as soon as he got here, after being in the red for years. He's clearly put an emphasis on baseball, as the BKF project was underfunded when Greenspan was still here, and I believe Smith was making more money here than is he is at ASU. We've got or are about to add all the stuff that UofL has in terms of football facilities (other than them having a demand for more suites, although we are adding club seating), so he understands how important football is in terms of finances. He obviously increased the football staff's salaries as well.

Is it all the corporate sponsorships? Again, that's just not going to happen. Few schools are in UofL's unique situation. Glass is not perfect. I am curious, though, what exactly it is that he's not doing business wise that you want him to do.

Last edited:
They have an AD that gets it. Glass is a lot like Tom Crean. He does just enough to make people think he's worth keeping around, but he never will get the department to the point of being top echelon.
Louisville has 3 national championships as a school, all in basketball, 1 since Jurich got there. That may end up revoked since they kind of have this prostitution thing looming over them, under Jurich's watch.

But he "gets it."

Also, you never explained how Glass "bungled" the Lemonis hire, who came from Louisville.

I'm not meaning to take aim at Glass here. It's just a different approach to the job between Jurich and Glass. Clearly Glass is competent, as he was a major player in the sports facility scene in Indy prior to coming to IU. Like I said, I don't know that a different approach looks much different, at the end of the day. Jurich is acknowledged as one of the best in the business, but he certainly has not been perfect.

Louisville is in a unique situation by being the "pro team" of one of the largest, if not the largest, city in the country without a pro team. I'm certainly not expecting that for IU. It's just conversation for a slow time of year. What are areas of opportunity for IU to use/exploit to become the preeminent baseball program in the Big Ten. Lemonis seems to have recruiting trending in the right direction, from what I understand, good facilities are in place, and there is a definite increase in fan interest. What else can/should be done to improve our position? Just curious for any opinions.

Louisville has 3 national championships as a school, all in basketball, 1 since Jurich got there. That may end up revoked since they kind of have this prostitution thing looming over them, under Jurich's watch.

But he "gets it."

Also, you never explained how Glass "bungled" the Lemonis hire, who came from Louisville.
Why do you keep pointing out that Lemonis came from UL....You do know that he wasn't hired by Jurich, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT