ADVERTISEMENT

Matta coaching Buckeyes in 2017-18

Good,all the more reason for IU to move forward this year and be the highest profile opening out there. I'd not want to have our coaching position open when OSU and a program like UNC or Duke is open too.

Another reason why waiting a year to remove Tom Crean is a bad decision and would show no forward thinking by this Athletic Department.

But it's the "Indiana" thing to do, so who knows...

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
Good,all the more reason for IU to move forward this year and be the highest profile opening out there. I'd not want to have our coaching position open when OSU and a program like UNC or Duke is open too.

Why not?

Every good coach in America would take the IU position over any of those other programs.

Exactly

Why would he be fired?

This year broke a string of 11 straight seasons with 10 plus conference wins. Was .500 in the league in his worse season prior to this one.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt.
I thoroughly agree - but there had been comments on here regarding his status in Columbus. This eliminates any doubt.

I thoroughly agree - but there had been comments on here regarding his status in Columbus. This eliminates any doubt.
The only speculation I saw that had any credibility (IMO) was that Matta would retire of his own accord due to his bad back, and that Archie was waiting in the wings.

From what I've seen recently, he doesn't appear to be nearly as crippled up as he once was. Didn't he have surgery? Am I remembering that correctly?

Why would he be fired?

This year broke a string of 11 straight seasons with 10 plus conference wins. Was .500 in the league in his worse season prior to this one.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

It wasn't all talk of him being fired. Matta has a bad back and some rumors coming out of Ohio were they he was considering retirement.
I have no idea how true they were, but they were out there.

We will draw more excitement from coaches than OSU ever will. Duke and UNC would be a different situation. Duke might struggle when K retires like UNC did but unlike IU they won't wait 9 years to fix that problem.

If Archie truly has no interest in N.C. State, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to land him.

I'll be sick to my stomach if he leaves Dayton this off-season for someone other than IU.

Reactions: brebelle3
If Archie truly has no interest in N.C. State, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to land him.

I'll be sick to my stomach if he leaves Dayton this off-season for someone other than IU.
It was stated on another board last night that Archie believes Ohio St is the best job in the big ten. Not my opinion just what someone who knows him stated.

I didn't think Matta was in danger of being fired. I live in Ohio and I don't think most OSU fans have any idea what kind of season they're having. It's all about football and if the basketball team happens to be good too some might notice that. Matta has been very good at OSU even if the fans don't always notice and one very bad season shouldn't have gotten him fired. He deserves to stay. If he decided to retire then I would think that OSU would be the main competition for Archie Miller. I think this increases the odds that Archie ends up here but Donovan is my first choice.

Reactions: kkott
We will draw more excitement from coaches than OSU ever will. Duke and UNC would be a different situation. Duke might struggle when K retires like UNC did but unlike IU they won't wait 9 years to fix that problem.

Don't be so sure. OSU is a bigger school in a bigger state, and has the benefit of being a football first school, meaning the bball coach won't take the heat if you have a bad season (see Mr Bing's post below). Also, Columbus is a bigger town... airport, shopping, restaurants, clubs, etc... This might be very important to the significant other.

It was stated on another board last night that Archie believes Ohio St is the best job in the big ten. Not my opinion just what someone who knows him stated.

Wasn't IU Matta's dream job? So if Archie winds up at IU then it all evens out, right?

There has never been any doubt about Thad Matta leaving OSU. I mean, heck, I'm sure someone posted something on a message board about Tom Brady being too old to win another SuperBowl somewhere. Doesn't mean it creates "doubt".

Matta is a big time winner.

This is great news for IU.

Matta is done. He can't recruit anymore, he's not working nearly as hard as the elite coaches who get the top players, so he's forced to get meddling 3 and 4-star guys. That would be fine, but none of his players get better. He's had 2 or 3 straight classes of guys who come in and are no better their Senior year as they were as Freshman/Sophomores.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT