ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland 2024

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Going into the '23/24 season I thought Maryland was overrated in the pre-season predictions. They simply had no depth, as evidenced by the pt Jordan Geronimo received. They actually were worse than I expected because highly-regarded swing freshman Harris-Smith had a rough go, especially in the first 2/3 of the year.

This year's team has the same overall look, with star transfer Gillespie taking over from J. Young, and highly-rated freshman Queen being the 2nd big man in place of Donta Scott; however, I like this roster better as it is deeper, and the outside shooting should be improved.

Here's the likely rotational players:

--6'1" Jakobi Gillespi (TR)
--6'4" Seltan Miguel (TR)
--6'9" Julian Reese (TR)
--6'5" Deshawn Harris-Smith
--6'4" Rodney Rice (TR)
--6'10" Derek Queen (FR)
--6'9" Tafara Gapare (TR)
--6'6" Jordan Geronimo
--6'5" Jahari Long

6'3" Chance Stephens is a Soph RS who transferred from Loyola Maramount and had some decent #s there as a freshman. I'm not sure why he red-shirted last year, so he might compete for pt. 6'4" Malachi Palmer is a freshman rated in the 120s in the '24 class.

My thoughts: I know Young was everything to them last year, but I think Gillespie will be at least as good this year. His #s at Belmont last year were outstanding, and his game may have more balance to it than did Young's. The first 4 guys look like sure starters. Rice would seem the most likely 5th starter at the beginning of the season. Queen was a top 10-15 rated recruit; given IU's involvement with him I watched him play on TV. As I recall they were playing IMG Academy. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be; regardless, he's he's a huge recruit for MD. He did look to me to be a low post center....not sure if he and Reece can play together a lot. Bottom line....MD has a little more depth going into this year, with 6 guys looking starter ready. Gapare & Geronimo are ok as depth pieces, but depth is still not a strength. Harris-Smith has to be a lot better this year than last for them to be BT contenders. They look like a 6-7 place BT team unless he breaks out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT