ADVERTISEMENT

Martell eligible immediately

at Miami Fla,from Ohio State.Whats the holdup on Tuttle?
I would assume either he doesn't have the legal representation. Since both Fields and Martell did. Or, simply the NCAA could give a rats behind what happens at Indiana. I'd hope that it's just because the lawyers ( since he wouldn't have one) aren't breathing down the NCAA necks. Based on those two cases I do assume that Tuttle be declared eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I hope you are right on Tuttle, but who knows with NCAA decisions. They aren't known for common sense or logic.
I really believe in Tuttle to make all the throws needed at the big ten level. What has me wondering is his athletic ability to maneuver out of the pocket. When looking at the film from when he was a senior he looked nimble and fast. Just not as fast as Penix. I am super excited to see who comes out as the winner from this group. If they pick right I really believe we can elevate this team to new heights.

I really believe in Tuttle to make all the throws needed at the big ten level. What has me wondering is his athletic ability to maneuver out of the pocket. When looking at the film from when he was a senior he looked nimble and fast. Just not as fast as Penix. I am super excited to see who comes out as the winner from this group. If they pick right I really believe we can elevate this team to new heights.
Penix is the guy...He showed brilliance last year. If the receiving crew wouldn't have lost so may balls in the penn state game we go bowling last year.

Penix is the guy...He showed brilliance last year. If the receiving crew wouldn't have lost so may balls in the penn state game we go bowling last year.
I do believe if the receivers kept a hold of some of those easy catchable balls and Harris not fumbling we would have been bowling.

Penix might be the guy but I want Tuttle as the backup.

If he is ruled ineligible, Glass should grow some balls and sue the NCAA.
I am really interested to see what the NCAA does. But, I am also really interested to see Tuttle in action for the Spring game. That will be the first time many of us will get a good glimpse at him. I know I'm planning on going

I would assume either he doesn't have the legal representation. Since both Fields and Martell did. Or, simply the NCAA could give a rats behind what happens at Indiana. I'd hope that it's just because the lawyers ( since he wouldn't have one) aren't breathing down the NCAA necks. Based on those two cases I do assume that Tuttle be declared eligible.
I'm just guessing here but I have to think he has legal representation. If I'm transferring I'm getting a lawyer. The other thing is how many guys that went to IU and are practicing law would do it at N/C?

I'm just guessing here but I have to think he has legal representation. If I'm transferring I'm getting a lawyer. The other thing is how many guys that went to IU and are practicing law would do it at N/C?
I don't think any alum could represent him in this matter - especially not any that donate to the athletic department. That would be skating on some very thin ice in terms of providing benefits to a player. The ad and its legal staff could represent the university in a dispute over eligibility (and probably will if necessary - like Fitzgerald's case) but having a booster providing free legal counsel to a player probably crosses a line.

I took that into account too. Just makes me wonder why it's taking him so long to figure out. Figured that would be a reason as to why. Regarding the IU alums who would help I wonder what type of lawyer you'd need to have to combat the NCAA. I'm sure some regular divorce lawyer wouldn't cut it in this case.

After reading an article about IU's death penalty sentence back in 1960, I have no faith in the NCAA to help IU in anything pertaining to sports. It was sickening how the Big Ten, who suspended Dickens for the 57 season (for recruiting violations) and the NCAA stuck it to us. The article told of the NCAA really wanting to make an example out of us. Our fellow BiG buddies chimed right in and tried to force IU to comply with the sanctions and considered kicking us out of the league. What a bunch of friends. The only thing that kept us in was that we bent over and agreed to the ruling and our Admin wanted to put it all behind them (No pun intended). The recruiting rules were broken by all the schools but they said IU wasn't slick enough to keep it under wraps. The article also stated that we had over 100,(IIRC) people willing to stand up and report cheating in their recruitment from fellow B1G schools if the Big Ten voted us out. They were ready to blow the B1G out of the water if necessary. The Big Ten backed off.

I had always heard that Woody Hayes and Phil Dickens got into it. OSU and Meet Chicken were spearheading the efforts to put little ole IU in its place, especially after IU and Dickens beat Michigan in 58' and 59', plus they tied ole Woody in 59'. Photo evidence showed that our RB got the ball over the goal line, the refs were too Chicken to call a TD,which left us in a tie.
Woody vowed to never loose or tie IU again as long as he was coach. He never did.

I hope that they give us a favorable ruling but why should they unless IU can put some sort of heat on the case. They have to turn some cases down so as to make it look like they still have power and control over Collegiate Athletic matters. In other words, IU loses again, I'm afraid.

I am not saying that IU has been a Choir Boy throughout their sports history, but neither has any other school. We have just ruffled enough feathers over the years to give us a bad name and a black eye, in which we can never seem to get rid of.

Sorry for the rant, I am jumping off the Soap Box now. VBG

After reading an article about IU's death penalty sentence back in 1960, I have no faith in the NCAA to help IU in anything pertaining to sports. It was sickening how the Big Ten, who suspended Dickens for the 57 season (for recruiting violations) and the NCAA stuck it to us. The article told of the NCAA really wanting to make an example out of us. Our fellow BiG buddies chimed right in and tried to force IU to comply with the sanctions and considered kicking us out of the league. What a bunch of friends. The only thing that kept us in was that we bent over and agreed to the ruling and our Admin wanted to put it all behind them (No pun intended). The recruiting rules were broken by all the schools but they said IU wasn't slick enough to keep it under wraps. The article also stated that we had over 100,(IIRC) people willing to stand up and report cheating in their recruitment from fellow B1G schools if the Big Ten voted us out. They were ready to blow the B1G out of the water if necessary. The Big Ten backed off.

I had always heard that Woody Hayes and Phil Dickens got into it. OSU and Meet Chicken were spearheading the efforts to put little ole IU in its place, especially after IU and Dickens beat Michigan in 58' and 59', plus they tied ole Woody in 59'. Photo evidence showed that our RB got the ball over the goal line, the refs were too Chicken to call a TD,which left us in a tie.
Woody vowed to never loose or tie IU again as long as he was coach. He never did.

I hope that they give us a favorable ruling but why should they unless IU can put some sort of heat on the case. They have to turn some cases down so as to make it look like they still have power and control over Collegiate Athletic matters. In other words, IU loses again, I'm afraid.

I am not saying that IU has been a Choir Boy throughout their sports history, but neither has any other school. We have just ruffled enough feathers over the years to give us a bad name and a black eye, in which we can never seem to get rid of.

Sorry for the rant, I am jumping off the Soap Box now. VBG

I have never understood why all of IU's sports were penalized if football was the only culprit, and why IU would go along with that ruling that especially cost possible championship success for basketball and swimming. I have never heard any other penalty where a school had all of its sports teams not allowed to have any postseason play.

I am really interested to see what the NCAA does. But, I am also really interested to see Tuttle in action for the Spring game. That will be the first time many of us will get a good glimpse at him. I know I'm planning on going

The NCAA ruled today that Tuttle will be eligible in 2021. The indicated that normally a player would sit one year but since it is IU, they had to tack on an extra year and slap us with a financial penalty as well.

Fred asked if there was anything the university could self-report to perhaps negate the eligibility all together.

The NCAA ruled today that Tuttle will be eligible in 2021. The indicated that normally a player would sit one year but since it is IU, they had to tack on an extra year and slap us with a financial penalty as well.

Fred asked if there was anything the university could self-report to perhaps negate the eligibility all together.
Yikes! Good thing this isn't actually true! That would be terrible

Reactions: IUXC68
It would just add to the litany of perplexing, no logic decisions by the weasels at NCAA...

Patterson ole Miss to UM?? Immediately eligible. Fields, who PLAYED IN 10 GAMES AT UGA LAST YR?? Immediate eligibility. Martell transfers (don't recall how many games he played in) BECAUSE Fields comes in...immediate eligibility.

Tuttle... Leaves Utah early on without ever seeing the field?? Uh, son, you went where again?? Oh, Indiana?? Well...I just don't think so. If you are lucky, we MAY let you play NEXT SEASON!!!

NEXT?!?!

I really don't understand the paranoia about the NCAA and it's hatred for Indiana. I totally understand as it pertains to Big Ten football officials...but this seems over the top.

Reactions: bang63
I really don't understand the paranoia about the NCAA and it's hatred for Indiana. I totally understand as it pertains to Big Ten football officials...but this seems over the top.
I don't think it's hatred, I think it's apathy. They couldn't care less about us, & I'm sure those big name schools pressure the hell out of the NCAA to get their kids eligible, they have pull & power due to the weight of their programs, boosters, etc. We don't, if it were basketball, we'd be one of the haves. That's just the way it works.

That actually is a good question at this point. Did he not transfer before Martell. & Fields? This is typical of IU football! You'd almost expect a ruling of ineligibility due to some obscure, never before seen testicality.
Just remember TD Roof made it through this process last year!

I don't think it's hatred, I think it's apathy. They couldn't care less about us, & I'm sure those big name schools pressure the hell out of the NCAA to get their kids eligible, they have pull & power due to the weight of their programs, boosters, etc. We don't, if it were basketball, we'd be one of the haves. That's just the way it works.
Tuttle's on the roster and he's on campus, participating in spring practice and competing for the job. Obviously the NCAA's ultimate decision is critically important for IU football, but the fact that they haven't decided yet doesn't have any impact now. I'm certain we'll know before the start of fall ball.

Tuttle's on the roster and he's on campus, participating in spring practice and competing for the job. Obviously the NCAA's ultimate decision is critically important for IU football, but the fact that they haven't decided yet doesn't have any impact now. I'm certain we'll know before the start of fall ball.

The question is why don't we know now? Players that started the process later already have their answer. Looks like if you are transfering to a big name school you move to the front of the line, does it not? Total BS.

The question is why don't we know now? Players that started the process later already have their answer. Looks like if you are transfering to a big name school you move to the front of the line, does it not? Total BS.
Not necessarily. Every case is different. The standard is "documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student athlete." I'm not arguing the merits of their waiver requests, but Martell experienced coaching staff turnover at Ohio State and Fields was subjected to racial slurs at Georgia which received a lot of attention and media coverage. Maybe these were easier calls for the NCAA than Tuttle's case, and they deal with the low-hanging fruit first. Good legal representation doesn't hurt either. In any event, and as I said previously, as long as we get the favorable call, I don't care when it happens as long as it's before Aug 1.

Loser mentality

? Yeah, thanx for that. All of that goes without saying, except for the no impact now part. I''m sure the team is well aware of that fact that the NCAA's decision is taking far longer than some other similar cases. That can have an impact, not to mention the potential impact of knowing Tuttle could be the guy in '19, vs. not knowing if he can/will have a shot to be the guy. He is, after all. a top 200 ranked 4* QB with a 4* arm in a program that has NEVER had such a QB. The program needs to know if he'll be eligible or not. & yes, of course he/they will prepare as if he will be eligible, but it just ain't the same as actually knowing. All of those things matter, slightly maybe, not critical perhaps, but for the future of the team, they do matter.

Last edited:
? Yeah, thanx for that. All of that goes without saying, except or the no impact now part. I''m sure the team is well aware of that fact that the NCAA's decision is taking far longer than some other similar cases. That can have an impact, not to mention the potential impact of knowing Tuttle could be the guy in '19, vs. not knowing if he can/will have a shot to be the guy. He is, after all. a top 200 ranked 4* QB with a 4* arm in a program that has NEVER had such a QB. The program needs to know if he'll be eligible or not. & yes, of course he/they will prepare as if he will be eligible, but it just ain't the same as actually knowing. All of those things matter, slightly maybe, not critical perhaps, but for the future of the team, they do matter.
I guess you didn't read my more recent post in this thread.

If you've got evidence that the delay in the decision on Tuttle is simply a function of the NCAA's disregard or disrespect for IU, have at it. Otherwise it's baseless speculation.

I guess you didn't read my more recent post in this thread.

If you've got evidence that the delay in the decision on Tuttle is simply a function of the NCAA's disregard or disrespect for IU, have at it. Otherwise it's baseless speculation.
??? What's it matter why it's delayed? As far as IU being disregarded, well, the proof is in the pudding. A history of IU being disregarded, is evidence of IU being disregarded. You want E-mails or recorded conversations? It's no secret that elite programs get dibs in these things.

Reactions: indy1203
??? What's it matter why it's delayed? As far as IU being disregarded, well, the proof is in the pudding. A history of IU being disregarded, is evidence of IU being disregarded. You want E-mails or recorded conversations? It's no secret that elite programs get dibs in these things.
The NCAA is big on examples being made. The NCAA
is a fraud.

Reactions: mk23
Has anyone ever gone to court over child support, custody, etc.? Everyone is told to arrive at a specific time. The cases with attorneys present are always adjudicated first. Everyone else sits quietly and waits until called. I imagine the NCAA transfer cases are handled in the same manner: those with attorneys get priority.

Or maybe if Penix hadn't overthrown the receiver on that back shoulder pass in the end zone we go bowling.

The problem is without Tuttle IU's QB situation is dire. Add in that Penix won't be cleared until June 1 and he is sure to be rusty with his timing on passes. With Tuttle and Penix IU has a better shot at having quality QBs if an injury occurs or worse if two QBs get hurt. The issue isn't if Penix has the talent but if IU will have enough depth at QB.

Has anyone ever gone to court over child support, custody, etc.? Everyone is told to arrive at a specific time. The cases with attorneys present are always adjudicated first. Everyone else sits quietly and waits until called. I imagine the NCAA transfer cases are handled in the same manner: those with attorneys get priority.
Except with the NCAA......the unfit parent gets custody of the kid!

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article228141464.html

Here is a story that claims to have the reasoning behind Martell’s departure from Ohio State being a convincing argument to the NCAA for immediate eligibility at Miami.

Throughout most of these threads about Tuttle, I haven’t heard anything of substance regarding the reasoning he is using to make his case.

I also might offer one bit of information about the Shea Patterson transfer to Michigan in 2018. Patterson was one of six (ultimately seven) Ole Miss players that sought transfers after Ole Miss was penalized for Hugh Freeze’s misdeeds. All of the players used the same (aggressive) attorney who, through threat of litigation, created the prospect of an additional public relations nightmare for the NCAA. Ole Miss and Michigan worked with the NCAA to create a template for the transfers that would avoid the public airing of several loads of dirty laundry (and further nightmares for Ole Miss).

While Patterson and Michigan were the most publicized beneficiaries, the same template was utilized to grant immediate eligibility at Houston, Nebraska, Georgia starch, Central Florida, Alabama-Birmingham and eventually Florida.

The announcement of eligibility took place after most of these schools had concluded spring practice (but eligibility did not impact spring participation).

Now that the genie is out of the bottle, the floodgates have opened with any and all perceived slights being used to justify immediate eligibility.

In the case of Patterson, Michigan initial support was withdrawn for a much more tempered position. I’d think that IU is going to be careful in its application in support of Tuttle using the “goose/gander” line of reasoning. But I’ve been wondering if the Tuttle family has hired Tom Wise (Patterson’s attorney) and what the argument is against his treatment in SLC. But in reading the argument, one can reasonably find potential similarities to the Martell case (Utah no longer wanted Tuttle, even though he had essentially quit & it serves no purpose for Utah to block the transfer using similar goose/gander logic).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT