ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope????

What separates IU from other programs changing head coaches right now is that IU has whiffed repeatedly....that is not the case with UConn, UK, or Louisville for that matter. The sheer number of consecutive turkeys is a head scratcher....and that includes the current head coach.
It would help to do homework on who is being hired and make a better educated attempt. Archie ran Virginia's offensive and defensive system, which has gone extinct: turns out leaving 3-point shooters room to shoot isn't the best idea. Woodson was hired based on the Juwan Howard theory: that hasn't worked. If it isn't working after 3 years, move on. I don't think IU has been willing to open up the check book and get can't miss hires.

If other schools can do their homework and make good hires, then it can be done at IU. The management has been the issue. Other schools have good management, IU has not.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Total upgrade. I actually feared this hire as Pope is extremely smart, innovative, and many will underestimate him.

I fear he could be like Hurley who had less than a decade of college experience and only 2 NCAA appearances before UConn.

He will probably build it with 4 star shooters that stay, with the occasional 5 star and transfer. I am afraid he could build a program, not just a team like Wright, Drew, and now Hurley.

I'm also afraid May is that same type and IU missed out because Woody builds teams, not programs.
I hope you are wrong... on both accounts.

We should be rooting for Woodson to succeed in his mission to make IU an attractive destination for top talent because that includes attracting a great coach to take over after he retires. Brad Stevens didn’t want to do the work Woodson is doing right now, and taking crap from the fans along the way.

We should be rooting for Woodson to succeed in his mission to make IU an attractive destination for top talent because that includes attracting a great coach to take over after he retires. Brad Stevens didn’t want to do the work Woodson is doing right now, and taking crap from the fans along the way.

He’s getting $4.2M (3-4x his old salary) to spend a boatload of NIL and athletic dept budget on teams that play in front of packed crowds cheering despite their so-so results.

He’s in it for himself more than IU. And that is fine. He is not some saint and what he does won’t make much difference with the next coach unless he is especially good or bad — which looks unlikely.

IU will be in great position next year for the coaching carousel when Woody exits and these other big jobs are already filled this year.
Woody was always a bandaid. We knew it when he was hired. His shelf life was 3-5 years. It’s reached its expiration date.
IU should have no issue ponying up $7-8 million a year for a proven coach.
Isn’t that what UK thought and most here are laughing about? IU hired Woodson because they had exactly the same issue UK is having now.

Reactions: birdforbogey
He’s getting $4.2M (3-4x his old salary) to spend a boatload of NIL and athletic dept budget on teams that play in front of packed crowds cheering despite their so-so results.

He’s in it for himself more than IU. And that is fine. He is not some saint and what he does won’t make much difference with the next coach unless he is especially good or bad — which looks unlikely.
I disagree.

How about a really successful middle school coach?
Mr D?
mrd.jpg

The other day you said something like ..watch how a real program hires coaches, in reference to Kentucky ....

Well, I watched .. and I'm not impressed. lmao .......
At least Pope has college coaching experience and they are trying: more than I can say about IU. UK has had 3 coaches win a championship since IU last did: I'll have what they're having. UK's management runs circles around IU.

Pope is TBD. He does have college experience. Will be very interesting to see how he recruits with top 1 or 2 NIL at a non-Mormon school. He can buy a lot of players now.

The other day you said something like ..watch how a real program hires coaches, in reference to Kentucky ....

Well, I watched .. and I'm not impressed. lmao .......

Yeah, not an impressive hire for a program like UK. It more or less the same situation as Woodson in the sense that I doubt he'd even be considered had he not played ball there. On the other hand at least he's coached college ball previously, and he's only 51.

One never knows. He could end up doing very well. But it's not the sure thing people expected.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Yeah, not an impressive hire for a program like UK. It more or less the same situation as Woodson in the sense that I doubt he'd even be considered had he not played ball there. On the other hand at least he's coached college ball previously, and he's only 51.

One never knows. He could end up doing very well. But it's not the sure thing people expected.
If he doesn't work out, UK won't keep him around very long and will try again: they are committed to winning. IU kept Crean around for 9 years, Archie for 4, and Woody is going on year 4 after not meeting expectations: UK gets it, IU doesn't.

Dolson seems different, to me. With this new information, I don't think its too wild a guess to say Dolson just couldn't bring a big enough name to the table.

Everyone reasonable knows IU isn't getting a 'big name'.... whatever that means. That's like 5 or 6 names and no chance on any.

I would be happy with hiring someone at the Pope level.

Billy Donovan said he was 100% focused on the Bulls. Would that be his answer 2 weeks from now? I think Kentucky had a legitimate shot at him, just didn't want to wait the two weeks (which could have easily stretched out to 3). Blow a big chunk of the portal, possibly have a shit roster for next year, possibly they can't get a deal worked out AND they waited 2-3 weeks. A lot of risks there. SO, maybe BD doesn't get a new contract, goes into the broadcasting booth and is available NEXT year. Who knows. I would like to think that UK would have had their pick of Beard, Miller, Pearl. Maybe even Oats if they wanted to push it further and pony up the buyout. Hurley was always a long shot. I think those same names would be in play for IU as well this time next year if that situation arises.
I think if the Bulls flame out over the next 2 weeks, Donovan might have been interested. Unfortunately UK is losing their top signees, the portal recruiting season is wide open, and I don't think UK had the time to sit on their hands for several weeks waiting to for the end of the Bulls season. Just bad timing....kinda like IU and Brad Stevens 14 yrs ago. IMHO.

If he doesn't work out, UK won't keep him around very long and will try again: they are committed to winning. IU kept Crean around for 9 years, Archie for 4, and Woody is going on year 4 after not meeting expectations: UK gets it, IU doesn't.
fwiw - Love his offense. We'll see if it translates to players with bigger egos in a program with brighter lights...

The Louisville, Ohio State, and Kentucky hires give a very strong clue on a potential reason why Woody was retained. I know there's also the "Quinn stuff"...but when schools like UK and Louisville can't lure proven, no brainer, successful coaches...we aren't going to either. Makes me think Dolson tested the waters, and found what those schools just found...not many fish.
I think you’re on something. It seems like it’s a harder to hire college coaches these days. Duke, UNC, and Kentucky all hired alumni to replace Hall of Fame coaches.

Lmao

How far down the list was he? We heard Drew until he turned you down, then we heard Hurley until he turned you down, then you had runningcatfan or whatever claiming that Donovan was your guy, then Nate Oats, then Bruce Pearl ect...

I'm not not saying Pope won't be a good coach but how far down the list is he? 8th?
Hiring alumni seems to be working out pretty well for everyone

Lol. If UK is down to Pope, who the hell do you think IU can land? You don't think UK was opening the pocketbook? We can laugh at Pope to UK, but it's also ominous for us should we be looking next season.
There are good coaches and good Deacons in the Church. For whatever reason there aren’t many good coaches that are good Deacons in the Church. If they had been willing to recruit a good coach like Pearl, Beard, Sampson, etc then they likely would have gotten a coach with a much better coaching resume but with sins in their past.

Last edited:
Victorbmyboy-
You mentioned Oats wouldn’t move I believe. Does he like Alabama that much or is it his wife’s health or what?

Bobby Hurley gave him his college coaching start at Buffalo but he has surpassed Bobby’s results considerably.

Last edited:
Victorbmyboy-
You mentioned Oats wouldn’t move I believe. Does he like Alabama that much or is it his wife’s health or what?

Bobby Hurley gave him his college coaching start at Buffalo but he has surpassed Bobby’s results considerably.
It wasn’t oats as much as Drew and Hurley. Rumor is Oats might be in the middle of some private issues. Don’t know how true/false that is.

It wasn’t oats as much as Drew and Hurley. Rumor is Oats might be in the middle of some private issues. Don’t know how true/false that is.
Thanks-I think his wife was diagnosed a few years ago with Lymphatic Cancer and he considered not coaching further.

Isn’t that what UK thought and most here are laughing about? IU hired Woodson because they had exactly the same issue UK is having now.
Not exactly....UK hired a coach who has coached college players for 9 years...and has a winning record in both programs he's coached. IU does not have a college coach.

Reactions: IUgradman
Not exactly....UK hired a coach who has coached college players for 9 years...and has a winning record in both programs he's coached. IU does not have a college coach.
No, that IU can get a big name. UK thought that as well and many programs aren't as attractive as they used to be with the portal and NIL $$ at a coach's disposal.

No, that IU can get a big name. UK thought that as well and many programs aren't as attractive as they used to be with the portal and NIL $$ at a coach's disposal.
In fact it's almost more appealing right now to take the raise and stay put, Kentucky for example is an absolute death knell as a coach with the ridiculous expectations.

If you have one bad season or worse a bad stretch you're done and likely never going to get even a decent job for the rest of your career.

Reactions: IUgradman
In fact it's almost more appealing right now to take the raise and stay put, Kentucky for example is an absolute death knell as a coach with the ridiculous expectations.

If you have one bad season or worse a bad stretch you're done and likely never going to get even a decent job for the rest of your career.
What makes it worse is big donors like the crafts have to much control. Cal went after them protecting his players. NIL is making that worse. So not only do you have to play nice you must bow to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT