ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope????

IU will be in great position next year for the coaching carousel when Woody exits and these other big jobs are already filled this year.
Woody was always a bandaid. We knew it when he was hired. His shelf life was 3-5 years. It’s reached its expiration date.
IU should have no issue ponying up $7-8 million a year for a proven coach.

Lol. If UK is down to Pope, who the hell do you think IU can land? You don't think UK was opening the pocketbook? We can laugh at Pope to UK, but it's also ominous for us should we be looking next season.

The Louisville, Ohio State, and Kentucky hires give a very strong clue on a potential reason why Woody was retained. I know there's also the "Quinn stuff"...but when schools like UK and Louisville can't lure proven, no brainer, successful coaches...we aren't going to either. Makes me think Dolson tested the waters, and found what those schools just found...not many fish.

I don't know if that played into any decisions, but it's certainly a good reason for people to temper their expectations.

The Louisville, Ohio State, and Kentucky hires give a very strong clue on a potential reason why Woody was retained. I know there's also the "Quinn stuff"...but when schools like UK and Louisville can't lure proven, no brainer, successful coaches...we aren't going to either. Makes me think Dolson tested the waters, and found what those schools just found...not many fish.
Maybe.

The overall track record from the decision makers at IU for the last 25 years indicates we have our own internal problems.

UK could have got Bruce or Beard or Miller or maybe Billy D (if they waited). Mitch wanted Pope.

A proven D1 coach will be tough for IU to get too. We will have to identify the right up and coming coach when the time comes.

Lol. If UK is down to Pope, who the hell do you think IU can land? You don't think UK was opening the pocketbook? We can laugh at Pope to UK, but it's also ominous for us should we be looking next season.
Totally agree with this one. Some IU fans are delusional about the coaches that would want to come here. The list of top tier names isn't a long one......

Maybe.

The overall track record from the decision makers at IU for the last 25 years indicates we have our own internal problems.
Dolson seems different, to me. With this new information, I don't think its too wild a guess to say Dolson just couldn't bring a big enough name to the table.

Reactions: Indyhorn
I think it's difficult to lure someone like a Drew, who has a good thing going at Baylor, to a program with crazy expectations, a rabid fanbase with a short fuse, and various internal dysfunctions to sort out. It requires one helluva leap of faith or a coach with a big name who knows his clock may be winding down at his present location. Much easier to throw a bunch of money in front of someone like Pope who wants to jump up a level into the big leagues. The expectations at UK and IU are enormous, and Lville program has been a dumpster fire for several years.

It's comical to think UK fans could convince themselves that they could buy Hurley, who is presently sitting on top of the world. Going to UK, while the $$ would be there, would actually be a half step backwards for him.

As for our own coaching issues....let's check back in next February. At that point...we'll all know...hopefully. It does appear CMW is making progress in filling the the talent vacuum. But getting a patchwork team to gel, and play winning basketball, the evidence is not so strong in his favor. Hurley pulled it off this year like a jedi master, but with a more perimeter-wing-focused team. Plus Hurley appears to know what he's doing.

And Brad isn't ever coming back to this mess. I think he's smart enough to know better...and now he's rich enough too. He jumped on that last ship with Gandolf and Frodo years ago.

Dolson seems different, to me. With this new information, I don't think its too wild a guess to say Dolson just couldn't bring a big enough name to the table.

He's 0-1 on basketball hires so far. Who would you consider a big enough name, and why would they come here? The names UK was throwing around...Beard, Donovan, Oats, Pearl...seem like the same ones people here tossed about. If UK can't land those guys, IU isn't.

One problem is that coaches can win anywhere now. You don't need to be at one of the historically significant schools to win in college basketball any longer.

Could be. Or his next bball hire may be Cig like — bring a whole proven system, staff, and some xfers/recruits. Probably won’t be from as small of a school as JMU, but it would be from a smaller program.

I would guess Scott has coaches he keeps in touch with so he has a relationship with them when the time comes.

I would like the next coach to have some college basketball experience. Aside from that, Dolson and Co. need identify the next Hurley-like up and comer (of course the coach won’t be that good but you get it) and hire them.

We can hire a good coach at IU. It’s possible.

Reactions: asindc
Except that a coach a bunch of people say we could have had went to Michigan.

Except that a coach a bunch of people say we could have had went to Michigan.
I'm far from sold on May as any sort of can't miss type coach. Outside the Final Four run year, his resume isn't all that impressive. And I think his follow up year this past year, didn't have much of a "proving it" type feel.

Reactions: asindc
I'm far from sold on May as any sort of can't miss type coach. Outside the Final Four run year, his resume isn't all that impressive. And I think his follow up year this past year, didn't have much of a "proving it" type feel.
I think May will be strong. But haven't followed him enough to have much behind that.
'Program building' in the portal and NIL era is still evolving. I think signs look good that Dusty May will be one who will navigate it well.
Our miss, that's what happens when you make a weak hire, you have to live with it for quite a few years. We'd have been better off with an 'interim' hire.

Last edited:
This doesn’t make much sense to me. We know who and what Coach Woodson is as a coach. Why not take a stab at someone that could be a good to great coach? I’d rather see what Shrewsberry or Schertz can do at IU than watch another season of what we just witnessed.

Could be. Or his next bball hire may be Cig like — bring a whole proven system, staff, and some xfers/recruits. Probably won’t be from as small of a school as JMU, but it would be from a smaller program.

I would guess Scott has coaches he keeps in touch with so he has a relationship with them when the time comes.

I would like the next coach to have some college basketball experience. Aside from that, Dolson and Co. need identify the next Hurley-like up and comer (of course the coach won’t be that good but you get it) and hire them.

We can hire a good coach at IU. It’s possible.
I agree, it's possible, by identifying an up and comer and spinning the wheel. Sometimes you get Danny Hurley, sometimes you get Bobby Hurley (or Archie Miller) but that's how you do it.

I'm glad we finally have tangible evidence to prove that IU cannot simply run out and grab whatever coach we want. Few, Oats, Drew, Donovan, lolz. Those guys have roots, money, and good programs. They don't need IU or UK or the money and headaches that follow.

Billy Donovan said he was 100% focused on the Bulls. Would that be his answer 2 weeks from now? I think Kentucky had a legitimate shot at him, just didn't want to wait the two weeks (which could have easily stretched out to 3). Blow a big chunk of the portal, possibly have a shit roster for next year, possibly they can't get a deal worked out AND they waited 2-3 weeks. A lot of risks there. SO, maybe BD doesn't get a new contract, goes into the broadcasting booth and is available NEXT year. Who knows. I would like to think that UK would have had their pick of Beard, Miller, Pearl. Maybe even Oats if they wanted to push it further and pony up the buyout. Hurley was always a long shot. I think those same names would be in play for IU as well this time next year if that situation arises.

Pope might prove to be an excellent hire but right now it doesn't move the needle. Would be like IU hiring Kieth Smart or Steve Alford. Maybe those would have worked out but wouldn't have made a lot of noise on announcement day.

That's probably what people said about Archie Miller vs Tom Crean.
Agree. But I’d rather try to find the “right” guy and take the risk of another Archie than watch another season of the “wrong” guy leading the program. We know Coach Woodson is the wrong guy at this point. Schrewsberry or someone else could turn out to be great.

I agree, it's possible, by identifying an up and comer and spinning the wheel. Sometimes you get Danny Hurley, sometimes you get Bobby Hurley (or Archie Miller) but that's how you do it.

I'm glad we finally have tangible evidence to prove that IU cannot simply run out and grab whatever coach we want. Few, Oats, Drew, Donovan, lolz. Those guys have roots, money, and good programs. They don't need IU or UK or the money and headaches that follow.
Not many people think we can "run out and grab whatever coach we want". Maybe a few, but they're irrelevant.

We also have tangible evidence other programs hire good coaches that compete for conference titles and make tourney runs.

A good AD should be able to figure out what makes a coach successful, what is unique (good and bad) about IU, and how they would do here. It's not a total crapshoot. We missed this with Archie, a guy/personality that worked at Dayton's program, but not here. With the Woody hire IU lost their mind.

Scott could get the next hire right, assuming it's his call and there isn't meddling from whoever is at the BoT, donors, etc. I'd prefer an AD with more experience, but a Scott has been here a while and I would think has learned quite a bit. May as well be optimistic.

He’s going to have the same issues at Michigan the last coach had. Coaching aside he’s a bit handicapped in the portal era.

He is the current BYU coach pending his move to UK. He played at UK under Rick Pitino.
The name sounded familiar. When I saw he was at BYU I thought that UK may have decided to go legit. Being reminded he played at UK I can now assume he is knowledgeable in cheating and what the boosters do for the players. TBH, I'm not sure the NCAA cares about team that cheat.

The name sounded familiar. When I saw he was at BYU I thought that UK may have decided to go legit. Being reminded he played at UK I can now assume he is knowledgeable in cheating and what the boosters do for the players. TBH, I'm not sure the NCAA cares about team that cheat.

Everyone's getting paid. Is cheating even a thing any longer?

IU is going to have to hire someone from a non power 5 conference. Nate Oats came from Buffalo. Danny Hurley came from Rhode Island. There are good coaches at that level.

He’s going to have the same issues at Michigan the last coach had. Coaching aside he’s a bit handicapped in the portal era.
They'll have enough NIL, although he's already campaigning for donations.

I think 'it's Michigan' will work just fine as an added sweetener to keep players. He'll probably have some good players who care about the school almost as much as the NBA, and if you can coach those guys up they make a solid foundation.

We'll see. But I'll wager very solid success.

Everyone's getting paid. Is cheating even a thing any longer?
Only if tampering and talking with guys even while they are on a roster elsewhere is cheating. That seems rampant.

But, if it's NIL, how can you prevent someone not associated with a school to talk with other school players, at any time. about a future business relationship?
I don't think you can. But some coaches will be shadier and involved with that.

I was aware of him. I wondered if he might be a candidate at IU after they fired Miller, but I figured we probably wouldn't be able to hire a Mormon away from BYU. And I figured IU also might not want to.
IU is going to have to hire someone from a non power 5 conference. Nate Oats came from Buffalo. Danny Hurley came from Rhode Island. There are good coaches at that level.

I wonder if Rhode Island's current coach is available.

This could work. I'm optimistic Dolson can understand what the right sort of candidate would look like. He knows this hire is probably coming in one to three years and he is probably preparing.

No idea if he can coach at the level uk fans expect. He will get the support. He will have the funds and amenities. My guess is if they buy talented players they will have a chance to win. But that's what Cal did for years. So unless the results differ at the end of the season, what have they really gained?

This is basically what we tried with Miller. The success stories are great, but it seems as if the failures are more common. I do agree that this is what most schools need to do. Luring coaches who are already successful with big programs usually doesn't happen.

This is basically what we tried with Miller. The success stories are great, but it seems as if the failures are more common. I do agree that this is what most schools need to do. Luring coaches who are already successful with big programs usually doesn't happen.
What separates IU from other programs changing head coaches right now is that IU has whiffed repeatedly....that is not the case with UConn, UK, or Louisville for that matter. The sheer number of consecutive turkeys is a head scratcher....and that includes the current head coach.

They'll have enough NIL, although he's already campaigning for donations.

I think 'it's Michigan' will work just fine as an added sweetener to keep players. He'll probably have some good players who care about the school almost as much as the NBA, and if you can coach those guys up they make a solid foundation.

We'll see. But I'll wager very solid success.
Their transfer academically. No older than sophomore credits transfer. Doesn’t matter how good the institution you transfer from is either. So either a freshman/sophomore or grad transfer. Thats tough actually. Had nothing much to do with NIL. So if a senior/junior wants Michigan then they will give up credits. Not many willing to do that.

We have struggled with every hiring source: internal promotion, P5, mid-major, and NBA.

Wherever we hire from next, there will be examples that cause concern.

Their transfer academically. No older than sophomore credits transfer. Doesn’t matter how good the institution you transfer from is either. So either a freshman/sophomore or grad transfer. Thats tough actually. Had nothing much to do with NIL. So if a senior/junior wants Michigan then they will give up credits. Not many willing to do that.
I didn't realize that. Thought the transfer issue was only about qualifying academically. Thanks.

Doesn't sound like enough to break his plans, but that is a limiter. He can still go after two year players just fine and they have more years left.

I didn't realize that. Thought the transfer issue was only about qualifying academically. Thanks.

Doesn't sound like enough to break his plans, but that is a limiter. He can still go after two year players just fine and they have more years left.
The other issue is many kids have junior/senior credits while having 2 years eligibility. That has been an issue with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT