ADVERTISEMENT

Madison Norris Enters Transfer Portal

It's harsh, but if we can try to mostly lose those who just are not cracking the field, it does help open up spots for the next recruiting class. Wish him well, just not sure he's been able to add or keep on the weight.

Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious he wasn't able to make much of an impression. Never heard anything about him cracking the rotation, not even mentions from the practice squad, that I recall.

He for whatever reason just couldn’t put on weight (only like 10 lbs in 2 years). A 214 lbs DE doesn’t have much chance of cracking the rotation.

It's harsh, but if we can try to mostly lose those who just are not cracking the field, it does help open up spots for the next recruiting class. Wish him well, just not sure he's been able to add or keep on the weight.
Absolutely wish him the best in his future endeavors!

It's not harsh, it just happens with the nature of sports. I brought it up a while back, but if Morgan Ellison doesn't get in trouble & Cole doesn't tear his ACL, do we see Stevie emerge in 2018? I'd guess probably not. And if Sampson still comes to IU, do we ever really get to see Stevie featured? Again, I'd say probably not. So if you follow that logic, but for a two events, we could be seeing Stevie at LB right now, or he could be in the transfer portal with the conventional wisdom being that it didn't pan out.

As for Madison, he probably just saw the writing on the wall with where he was in the depth chart with the commits they've got already this year.

It make me wonder what the percentage split is on the guys who want to play vs the guys who want to play for IU? By that I mean, some kids just want to be able to play because they like playing and don't want to be scout team for four years. Can't fault them for that. But there are other kids who want to put on the jersey more than anything and be a part of the team. I think we see that more often with IU-BB than FB, but still there have to be some. Then, I guess, there's a 3rd group that has no realistic NFL aspirations and want the IU diploma.

End of the day, this transfer doesn't sting because we never got to see him perform and, sad to say, it does feel good to open up another scholarship on what looks to be a small class again.

I've got to wonder if something wasn't amiss with this situation. How can you only add 17 pounds in 2 years of a top-flight training program? Heck, I remember adding 20 pounds my freshman year alone. :) It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and how much of an impact he makes. At that weight, he's going to have trouble at virtually any level. I think he'd have trouble in the MIC.

I've got to wonder if something wasn't amiss with this situation. How can you only add 17 pounds in 2 years of a top-flight training program? Heck, I remember adding 20 pounds my freshman year alone. :) It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and how much of an impact he makes. At that weight, he's going to have trouble at virtually any level. I think he'd have trouble in the MIC.

Speaking of putting weight on, does anyone have any insight on how Cameron Williams has been doing on that front? His recruiting profile had him at 6'3" & 205 coming out of high school. I'm sure he was ranked a 4* for a reason (athleticism & nose for the ball), but I was curious on how he's been able to build into a B1G body. And if he has trouble adding weight, is he athletic enough to try and make a move to Husky? Safety?

Well that's a bummer to hear, but as many have mentioned, he just never put on the required bulk to play at this level. He was also a standout track star in HS and he has speed to burn. Too bad they couldn't find another spot for him where he could contribute. Good luck Mr. Norris.

Definitely something amiss with the weight gain. Maybe the guy had some unusually high metabolism but it’s very rare for somebody not to gain weight if put on a diet that promotes it. I see him staying in the Midwest but perhaps a smaller school.

I wonder if he maybe makes a jump to track as he was a pretty elite hurdler in HS.

He for whatever reason just couldn’t put on weight (only like 10 lbs in 2 years). A 214 lbs DE doesn’t have much chance of cracking the rotation.
I always thought you put him somewhere else if he can't put on enough weight, but obviously that just wasn't in the cards. Track and Field might be his calling.

Last edited:
I really hope that staff uses this scholarship on a grad transfer. You can't have enough 5th year seniors. Who gets to see the transfer portal? Is it published anywhere?
I'm all in on that, although I'd add that unless they can find a real, immediate difference maker with a grad transfer, it'd be a great chance to try and pull in what would be a quality 3rd string backup QB. IU gets more cushion in its QB room. Some kid looking to legit take advantage of a free year of grad school from a great school gets a jump start into that. I'd start with kids who started at MAC schools or other G5 schools this past season.

There is a transfer portal list floating around on the internet that tracks the ones that are known/released on the internet. But I only think the schools get to see the real McCoy.

As busy & interesting as the portal has become, I hope Rivals begins a national transfer portal we can access on Indiana Rivals
Well it needs to be categorized & organized better than what it is on 247. There are just WAY too many players to list them top to bottom from QB's on down, the way they have it listed. Frankly, there are way too many players transferring period, imo. This is like a 2nd High School recruitment at this point, it's out of control.

Last edited:
Well it needs to be categorized & organized better than what it is on 247. There's just WAY too many players to list them top to bottom from QB's on down, the way they have it listed. Frankly, there's way too many players transferring period, imo. This is like a 2nd High School recruitment at this point, it's out of control.

I've heard some actually alarming stats that something like 1 of every 5 (or even 10?) kids who put name in actually end up somewhere else? As in could end up as scholarship casualties who leave a school, find no new home and then what? Some of the kids are not making good choices, maybe off bad advice, and there is definitely a lot who I bet get washed away. Take Norris, probably a great kid, he's athletic, but what major D1 school is hunting for a 215lb DE who hasn't cracked top 3 at IU? If he has hands, what about use his speed at TE? LB? Or should be be focused on track?

IndyIUfan, you are on the right track. I referenced here not long ago that for every 100 kids in the portal, there were only 30 available scholarships out there at that time. Thus 70% of kids end up staying put, walking on somewhere, moving down a level or not playing.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't believe the weight they wanted him to gain was the usual freshmen 15.

If you go through each school in the Big Ten in the 247 list, you see that 5-10 names per school in the portal is pretty standard issue.
You have some outliers like Maryland with 20 kids entering the portal but is to be expected with new coaches.
Then, you have some oddball situations like Aron Cruickshank from Wisconsin who got quite a bit of playing time up there, scored a kickoff return TD in the Rose Bowl, and he transferred to Rutgers. He’s from NY and so some of these guys get homesick.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT