ADVERTISEMENT

Mack = Crean

Blobby

Recruit
Mar 21, 2015
Mack's team was loaded at Xavier when he took over from Miller. Since then (starting with his third year at Xavier), here's the conference record in the A-10 and new Big East:

2011-2012: 10-6
2012-2013: 9-7
2013-2014: 10-8
2014-2015: 9-9
2015-2016: 14-4
2016-2017: 9-9
6-year total: 61-43 (58%)

Tom Crean's Big 10 total over the past six years: 63-45 (58%)

Mack has one really good year and a bunch of mediocre ones with his own guys. If we're just talking about coaching success, I'd go with the guy who is 44-28 in the Pac-10 (61%) and who won the Mountain West four times in 6 years with a 72% conference winning %. That's sustained success. Having relationships with most of the high schools coaches in the state and an already signed McD AA from one of the state's best basketball pipelines is a big plus.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
Mack's team was loaded at Xavier when he took over from Miller. Since then (starting with his third year at Xavier), here's the conference record in the A-10 and new Big East:

Mack has one really good year and a bunch of mediocre ones with his own guys. If we're just talking about coaching success, I'd go with the guy who is 44-28 in the Pac-10 (61%) and who won the Mountain West four times in 6 years with a 72% conference winning %. That's sustained success. Having relationships with most of the high schools coaches in the state and an already signed McD AA from one of the state's best basketball pipelines is a big plus.

And this is why the Alford crowd is a complete joke.

First, you do know Mack lost his best player to injury and another starter......this year?

Second, THESE are his conference numbers....

09-10 14-2 1st
10-11 15-1 1st
11-12 10-6 3rd
12-13 9-7 6th
13-14 10-8 3rd
14-15 9-9 6th
15-16 14-4 2nd
16-17 9-9 7th
Win % .662

Mack has made the NCAA 7 years out of 8, has 3 Sweet 16s and a Elite 8.

He has almost made the NCAA as many times as Alford, gone farther, and has one less Sweet 16 in 8 years compared to Alfords 22 years.

Oh, and he didn't get to coach in the POWERFUL Mountain West....lol

Mack is twice the coach Alford is......

AND FOR THE LAST TIME......... HIGH SCHOOL COACHES DO NOT WANT ALFORD.

And if you want proof, go to TOS. I think the word was "stunned" with the feedback basketball people in the state gave in regards to Aflord.

Last edited:
Mack is way better than Crean. He lost his starting PG - who was deemed a first-round pick - and he's gotten further in March than Crean did with two lottery picks.

Next.

Mack is way better than Crean. He lost his starting PG - who was deemed a first-round pick - and he's gotten further in March than Crean did with two lottery picks.

Next.

No kidding.

Crean cries and cries and cries, "Hey, it's not my fault we sucked this year. I lost one of my best players (who wasn't playing that well anyway). Doesn't matter if I had my deepest team ever. Don't blame me."

Mack, on the other hand, got his team to the Elite 8 (and may go farther).

Also, I was listening to sports radio last night, not the game, and the two hosts kept talking about the brilliant play-calling of Mack. When has anyone ever said that about Crean?

Next.

Lame. In the NCAA tournament anything can happen. How many times does the best team actually win the NCAA tournament? 20%? This isn't the NBA where the best team almost always wins over a 7 game series.

Next.

Funny what a year makes. Last year XU should have been Final Four material and they choked to Wisconsin in the second round, with Mack roundly criticized for his coaching in that game. We have short memories around here, but that isn't surprising.

Funny what a year makes. Last year XU should have been Final Four material and they choked to Wisconsin in the second round, with Mack roundly criticized for his coaching in that game. We have short memories around here, but that isn't surprising.
Sounds similar except that Mack followed that bad year with an elite 8 run and maybe more....crean followed his awful coaching vs syracuse up with missing the NCAA tourney

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier

Next.
Injury excuses...just like Crean!! Mack just happened to beat Florida state and Arizona at the right time vs Crean winning his games against Carolina and Kansas outside the tournament. This is the type of short term thinking that got Tom his first extension. Give me more consistent winning with your own recruits...Marshall and Alford fit that best (assuming Donovan isn't coming), but only Alford is a lock to crush Indiana recruiting. Scott Drew also fits, but I think the assumption is that he's shady.

Sounds similar except that Mack followed that bad year with an elite 8 run and maybe more....crean followed his awful coaching vs syracuse up with missing the NCAA tourney

Nature of the tournament. They were also on the outside of even getting an invite until the Big East tournament. Anything can happen in the NCAA tournament. Great coaches go down early, great teams, cinderellas. This is why the NCAA tournament and judging how good or bad a coach is wildly ridiculous. Mick Cronin couldn't have said it better the other day.

And this is why the Alford crowd is a complete joke.

First, you do know Mack lost his best player to injury and another starter......this year?

Second, THESE are his conference numbers....

09-10 14-2 1st
10-11 15-1 1st
11-12 10-6 3rd
12-13 9-7 6th
13-14 10-8 3rd
14-15 9-9 6th
15-16 14-4 2nd
16-17 9-9 7th
Win % .662

Mack has made the NCAA 7 years out of 8, has 3 Sweet 16s and a Elite 8.

He has almost made the NCAA as many times as Alford, gone farther, and has one less Sweet 16 in 8 years compared to Alfords 22 years.

Oh, and he didn't get to coach in the POWERFUL Mountain West....lol

Mack is twice the coach Alford is......

AND FOR THE LAST TIME......... HIGH SCHOOL COACHES DO NOT WANT ALFORD.

And if you want proof, go to TOS. I think the word was "stunned" with the feedback basketball people in the state gave in regards to Aflord.
Giving Mack credit for those first two years is the kind of thinking that got Mike Davis his big deal and extension. Just facts. Last six years Mack = Crean

Giving Mack credit for those first two years is the kind of thinking that got Mike Davis his big deal and extension. Just facts. Last six years Mack = Crean

Again, Alford supporter having NO IDEA what they are talking about.

You do known Ben Howland left Alford 4 NBA players right? You do know that right? And he couldn't get past the Sweet 16 his first 2 years. And Alford was 15-17 LAST YEAR.

But Mack lost 2 staters this year and has gone farther than Alford.....

Just stop, seriously

Injury excuses...just like Crean!! Mack just happened to beat Florida state and Arizona at the right time vs Crean winning his games against Carolina and Kansas outside the tournament. This is the type of short term thinking that got Tom his first extension. Give me more consistent winning with your own recruits...Marshall and Alford fit that best (assuming Donovan isn't coming), but only Alford is a lock to crush Indiana recruiting. Scott Drew also fits, but I think the assumption is that he's shady.

And Alford failed to get to the Sweet 16 as a 3 seed twice.

It's a major miracle he made it this far lol

And again, you need to realize basketball people in this state don't like Alford and you keep ignoring it.

But continue on your merry way, Alford isn't getting the job Blob...have a nice day!!!

Reactions: JonesIndiana
And Alford failed to get to the Sweet 16 as a 3 seed twice.

It's a major miracle he made it this far lol

And again, you need to realize basketball people in this state don't like Alford and you keep ignoring it.

But continue on your merry way, Alford isn't getting the job Blob...have a nice day!!!
58%

Alford is not a "lock to crush Indiana recruiting."

Glass has been calling coaches all over the state and has been blown away at how many of them don't like Wonder Boy.

Reactions: calhoun26 and ams66
47%

:)

Hint: Someone's B10 winning %

Hey, think old Stevie boy gets past the Sweet 16 for this first time in 22 years?

Keep on keeping on Blob.....don't forget your Texas Tech hat tonight!!!

lol
Ancient history. Like looking at coach k's early years. This kind of thinking is what has brought us Davis, Sampson and Crean. I'll take the guy with the #2 class in the country and Indiana kid McD AA vs the guy who has never recruited an all American and who has won at 58%.

Ancient history. Like looking at coach k's early years. This kind of thinking is what has brought us Davis, Sampson and Crean. I'll take the guy with the #2 class in the country and Indiana kid McD AA vs the guy who has never recruited an all American and who has won at 58%.

47%

but only Alford is a lock to crush Indiana recruiting.

I've heard similar quotes on other threads and I'm curious what people are basing this upon. He's recruited 5 Indiana players in the last 10 years:

1 Five Star (Wilkes for next year)
0 Four Stars
2 Three Stars
1 Two Stars
1 Unrated

Wilkes is a tremendous get for him, but it's not like he's been yanking 5 & 4 star kids out of the state like Izzo, Pitino, Calapari, Matta, Coach K, & Roy Williams have in the past. Is this based on what you believe to be true about Alford or who you think he will surround himself with for assistant coaches? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to understand why so many posters are certain he's going to lock down the state.

You mean the same way Villanova choked to Wisconsin this year? It isn't choking to lose to a team like Wisconsin. It happens to a lot of teams. A coach with an NCAA title did this year what you blame Mack for doing last year. I'm not advocating Mack, but the absurdity of your statement.

Mack came back with a less talented team and made it to the Elite 8 with far more issues than IU had. Xavier lost 6 games in a row in February, but they pulled themselves together and are playing great. Crean loses one player and the team folds up with no rebound. We had the talent to come back like Xavier, but we just played worse.

Mack would not upset me. I would actually prefer him to Alford.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
No kidding.

Crean cries and cries and cries, "Hey, it's not my fault we sucked this year. I lost one of my best players (who wasn't playing that well anyway). Doesn't matter if I had my deepest team ever. Don't blame me."

Mack, on the other hand, got his team to the Elite 8 (and may go farther).

Also, I was listening to sports radio last night, not the game, and the two hosts kept talking about the brilliant play-calling of Mack. When has anyone ever said that about Crean?

You guys are right, Mack is way better then Crean. IU should get rid of Crean...

Oh wait.

Alford is not a "lock to crush Indiana recruiting."

Glass has been calling coaches all over the state and has been blown away at how many of them don't like Wonder Boy.
Not that I'm doubting you but, how in the world do you know that, Vegas?

I think the words used were "backlash" and "stunned" to describe in state basketball peoples opinion of Alford. Again, its on TOS. And its fact.

Going to be funny when Alford doesn't "crush" the state.....
If you consider it "fact" because you read it on another site, you should look in the mirror and laugh out loud. They (and you) have no idea what you're talking about. World's smartest fan base? Laughable.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
If you consider it "fact" because you read it on another site, you should look in the mirror and laugh out loud. They (and you) have no idea what you're talking about. World's smartest fan base? Laughable.

And you consider it fact Alford will lock down the state because you have a hard on for former players. I trust the insiders over there more than some middle aged white guy with a Texas Tech hat in his closet.... lol

But go ahead and think Alford will "crush" the state because you have a autographed mini ball..... lol

Hey.....I said I changed my mind and want Alford so Knight can have his way and burn this program to the ground.

Does Mack have big men drive into zones?

Did Mack switch defenses in mid possession for 3 months?

Did Mack switch everything with a 6' PG?

Crean is a special kind of coach and special in this instance isn't a compliment. There's no comparison.

apAee7G.gif

Somebody is sniffing something..

I don't consider it a "fact" just because I read it on there, I think it's real because Wonder Boy hasn't had many recruits from the state AND lots of people think there are more important things than just winning and would have a problem with a rapist-protector running the team.

The "idiots" are those that think no good player would ever leave the state if Wonder Boy were coach.

And you consider it fact Alford will lock down the state because you have a hard on for former players. I trust the insiders over there more than some middle aged white guy with a Texas Tech hat in his closet.... lol

But go ahead and think Alford will "crush" the state because you have a autographed mini ball..... lol

Hey.....I said I changed my mind and want Alford so Knight can have his way and burn this program to the ground.
I've made no such statements regarding Alford nor is he my preferred pick for the job. I'm just laughing that you believe any of those people should be considered "insiders". They've consistently shown themselves to be the opposite of that, and the people who've chosen to believe them are gullible, at best.

Does Mack have big men drive into zones?

Did Mack switch defenses in mid possession for 3 months?

Did Mack switch everything with a 6' PG?

Crean is a special kind of coach and special in this instance isn't a compliment. There's no comparison.

How's his Diet Coke game?

I've made no such statements regarding Alford nor is he my preferred pick for the job. I'm just laughing that you believe any of those people should be considered "insiders". They've consistently shown themselves to be the opposite of that, and the people who've chosen to believe them are gullible, at best.

Yeah....obviously posters on this site know better.....I agree!!!!

LOL

Give 2 examples were TOS was "opposite"?

Let me know if you need help.....

You mean the same way Villanova choked to Wisconsin this year? It isn't choking to lose to a team like Wisconsin. It happens to a lot of teams. A coach with an NCAA title did this year what you blame Mack for doing last year. I'm not advocating Mack, but the absurdity of your statement.

Mack came back with a less talented team and made it to the Elite 8 with far more issues than IU had. Xavier lost 6 games in a row in February, but they pulled themselves together and are playing great. Crean loses one player and the team folds up with no rebound. We had the talent to come back like Xavier, but we just played worse.

Mack would not upset me. I would actually prefer him to Alford.

Xavier choked last year to Wisconsin. And yes, Villanova did this year. Three missed free throws in the last 2 minutes, terrible execution when up by 7 late in the game. Yes, they both choked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT