ADVERTISEMENT

Louisiana lol

Yes it matters. There are numerous subjects and majors that I think are beyond stupid and a waste of time. However, I don’t think I have the right to dictate my opinions and beliefs on everyone else. I advocate for a baseline curriculum and be very lenient outside of that.
what if snake handling, or flat Earth, or Evolution isn't real, is clearly something they consider as part of their base curriculum, with at least as much importance/weight as literature, history, civics, or math?

what if snake handling, or flat Earth, or Evolution isn't real, is clearly something they consider as part of their base curriculum, with at least as much importance/weight as literature, history, civics, or math?
wait...the earth isn't flat?

jj

First of all, in about 1980 IIRC, the Supreme Court already ruled against the posting of the Ten Commandments in schools or other public places. Sure, it was a split vote, and like Roe ,could get overturned now. But that is a pretty hefty precedent to just ignore, and it cannot (I don't think) be logically farmed out to the idea of letting individual states decide, being without question a Constitutional (Federal level) dispute.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
All great societies fall due to greed, sexual immorality, and maltreatment of the less fortunate. You can argue the specific reasons but all fall from internal rot. Following the 10 commandments ain’t a bad idea no matter your belief system

Technically it just says encouraged (if your quote is accurate).

They also said there is separation of church and state and were pretty clear about that despite some GOP politicians thinking otherwise. That seems to go opposite of your conclusion.

And decades (if not centuries) of precedent says public funds don't go to private schools. The definition of private schools is they are not public or publicly funded. The whole purpose was so they didn't have to abide by the rules and regulations that public schools have to follow.
You misuse the separation background. My quote is accurate inasmuch as its a cut and paste from the Ordinance. "Separation of church and state" is nowhere to be found in the 1st Amendment, Its a phrase written by Thomas Jefferson in one of the letters sent back and forth between Jefferson and The Minister of the Danbury, Connecticut, Baptists in which they discussed the issue. At the time that the Bill of Rights was ratified, December 13, 1791, at least 3 of the states had laws on the books requiring the state to support specific religious denominations. Remember, as ratified, the Constitution applied - except where stated otherwise in the body of the document - to the Federal Government only.

Last edited:
All great societies fall due to greed, sexual immorality, and maltreatment of the less fortunate. You can argue the specific reasons but all fall from internal rot. Following the 10 commandments ain’t a bad idea no matter your belief system
It's not one size fits all.

You can certainly say that, for many Commandments, they are basically a statement of desired morality. A Cultural compact, perhaps standing aside from religion: Don't steal, don't kill, don't lie, don't covet others possessions, don't commit adultery, and do honor your parents.

But other commandments are clearly enforcing specific religious practices and are inherently problematic: such as instructions to make no graven image, to have no Gods before me (the one Lord, thy God), to keep the Sabbath Day holy...

How is it a drain on public school systems? The money follows the child, correct?
A large segment of the families benefiting from the vouchers did not previously enroll their children in the public school system. Now they are receiving financial benefits from the state whereas before they paid the full tuition out of pocket. 800 million in increased costs.

As long as they are meeting the state requirements, I wouldn’t care. If people want to send their kids to a school that is 10 hours long and the last 4 hours they teach queer studies and that boys can be girls and girls can be boys, have at it. Unfortunately, there are some dumb people in the world, but those idiots shouldn’t restrict the ability of the rest of us to freely choose where to send our children to school.

A large segment of the families benefiting from the vouchers did not previously enroll their children in the public school system. Now they are receiving financial benefits from the state whereas before they paid the full tuition out of pocket. 800 million in increased costs.
They aren’t receiving financial benefits. The money is just following what school they attend now. Why do you think schools should get money to educate a child that doesn’t attend that school?

Reactions: DANC
You misuse the separation background. My quote is accurate inasmuch as its a cut and paste from the Ordinance. "Separation of church and state" is nowhere to be found in the 1st Amendment, Its a phrase written by Thomas Jefferson in one of the letters sent back and forth between Jefferson and The Minister of the Danbury, Connecticut, Baptists in which they discussed the issue. At the time that the Bill of Rights was ratified, December 13, 1791, at least 3 of the states had laws on the books requirinng the state to support specific religious donominations. Remember, as ratified, the Constitution applied - except where stated otherwise in the body of the document - to the Federal Government only.

Ladoga, hope you agree we do have freedom of religion along with the right not to accept any particular religion.

To make this possible, governments are obligated not to promote any single religious faith. To this extent there is sorta a separation of church and state as the Jefferson quote suggests.

Often wish Israel took our approach and didn't think of itself as a Jewish State, just as we aren't really a Christian State.

Judaism is a beautiful religion, and Jews are special people in my view. I can see them living alongside Palestinians over time with past conflicts slowly but surely disappearing. It is easy to dwell on differences such as religion while ignoring all the ideas and traits common to all humans.

They aren’t receiving financial benefits. The money is just following what school they attend now. Why do you think schools should get money to educate a child that doesn’t attend that school?
If I paid $20,000 in tuition for my child to attend a private school and now the state provides me a voucher to reduce my costs, I'm receiving financial benefits. Pretty simple.

If I paid $20,000 in tuition for my child to attend a private school and now the state provides me a voucher to reduce my costs, I'm receiving financial benefits. Pretty simple.
Every child gets a school voucher and a set amount of money. It goes to whatever school they choose to attend. You aren’t receiving any more financial benefits than every other parent.

Every child gets a school voucher and a set amount of money. It goes to whatever school they choose to attend. You aren’t receiving any more financial benefits than every other parent.
If you prefer sports over visiting the park, should you get an NFL voucher? If Mozart in the Park doesn't it do it for you, maybe you're eligible for a Springsteen voucher?

Public school is public school, and it's paid for by public funds. If you want to send your kid to private school, good for you, but that's not what public funds are for.

If you prefer sports over visiting the park, should you get an NFL voucher? If Mozart in the Park doesn't it do it for you, maybe you're eligible for a Springsteen voucher?

Public school is public school, and it's paid for by public funds. If you want to send your kid to private school, good for you, but that's not what public funds are for.
It’s taxpayer money and states get to decide where the money can be spent. In Indiana it follows the kid to whatever school they choose.

Just came naturally to you.
Liberalism comes naturally to those not motivated by fear and/or anxiety. We also tend to have more empathy and respond better to change. There's been more than one study that points to this. We're wired different ..

Not that one way of thinking is better or worse. Some people like exploring outside the cave damn the lions, others consider the dangers and pitfalls and decide to stay in it.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/abs/10.1098/rstb.2011.0268#aff-1

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18801995/

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(11)00289-2

The same reasons we have always had them. A majority of Indiana kids still attend public schools.
We actually were looking for the old school, Indiana public school teachings when we opted out of $25k/year Dallas private K-8's and moved up here. First couple years were great, but the TDS eventually got the best of the Bloomington Debs...Covid finished them off.

Had a teacher of ours (that moved to Dallas suburbs, ironically), tell my wife that we should home school our daughter, because she has a target on her back.

And she was kinda moderate. 😄

It doesn't stop there.

Read this article about private schools in Arizona - https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/19/politics/arizona-private-school-vouchers-invs/index.html. I think it is a similar setup to the crap going on in Indiana.

Could you imagine the outrage if liberals created a private school based on brainwashing kids into the liberal way of thinking and then sent public funds to it?
Why would libs do that when the public schools are already doing it?

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs
Indiana's own Kurt Vonnegut had a great quote about conservatives and their long-standing fight to put the 10 Commandments in public buildings. Vonnegut was a self-described "Christ-loving atheist" who felt that many conservative Christians weren't actually interested in the caring-for-your-fellow-man messaging Jesus taught:

“For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes (Matthew 5). But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course, that's Moses, not Jesus. I haven't heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere. 'Blessed are the merciful' in a courtroom? 'Blessed are the peacemakers' in the Pentagon? Give me a break!”​

Man the left really hates Jews these days. We’re just trying to get one thing in schools!

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark and ulrey
No, at least in grade schools, never. Not age appropriate. But how is a a gay pride flag establishing any religion? It's just a red herring.

A St Louis Cardinals flag would offend me.

Liberalism comes naturally to those not motivated by fear and/or anxiety. We also tend to have more empathy and respond better to change. There's been more than one study that points to this. We're wired different ..

Not that one way of thinking is better or worse. Some people like exploring outside the cave damn the lions, others consider the dangers and pitfalls and decide to stay in it.

Dumb.

Reactions: stollcpa

None of what you linked supports what you said in your post.

Reactions: ulrey

And when that empathy needs to be put into practical use liberals clam up just like anyone. Look up any man on the street interviews during (fill in the blank) protest. All of a sudden they can't house those immigrants or throw a 20 spot to them. But damn can they sign a petition and cheer on someone else to pay for it!

And when that empathy needs to be put into practical use liberals clam up just like anyone. Look up any man on the street interviews during (fill in the blank) protest. All of a sudden they can't house those immigrants or throw a 20 spot to them. But damn can they sign a petition and cheer on someone else to pay for it!

so similar to people that claim to be pro life but really don't care about anyone once they're born ;)

so similar to people that claim to be pro life but really don't care about anyone once they're born ;)

Here in Indiana the Pub legislative super majority is raising the stipends for foster parents and for parents willing to adopt.

Here in Indiana the Pub legislative super majority is raising the stipends for foster parents and for parents willing to adopt.

That's a start...although guessing it's just trying to keep up with the rising costs for raising a kid.

You misuse the separation background. My quote is accurate inasmuch as its a cut and paste from the Ordinance. "Separation of church and state" is nowhere to be found in the 1st Amendment, Its a phrase written by Thomas Jefferson in one of the letters sent back and forth between Jefferson and The Minister of the Danbury, Connecticut, Baptists in which they discussed the issue. At the time that the Bill of Rights was ratified, December 13, 1791, at least 3 of the states had laws on the books requiring the state to support specific religious denominations. Remember, as ratified, the Constitution applied - except where stated otherwise in the body of the document - to the Federal Government only.
Virginia, Connecticut and Rhode Island, right?

That's a start...although guessing it's just trying to keep up with the rising costs for raising a kid.

State. government agency also spends money monitoring the foster parent homes to make sure the kids are being treated according to established rules.

Technically it just says encouraged (if your quote is accurate).

They also said there is separation of church and state and were pretty clear about that despite some GOP politicians thinking otherwise. That seems to go opposite of your conclusion.

And decades (if not centuries) of precedent says public funds don't go to private schools. The definition of private schools is they are not public or publicly funded. The whole purpose was so they didn't have to abide by the rules and regulations that public schools have to follow.
Our Founders spoke of God as the Creator. So if you believe in a Creator and believe Him to be a moral agent who wants truth and justice for people then this enhances society. On the other hand those who do not believe in God the Creator believe they are the gods of their lives. What does that do to society? Well, look at the state of things today. Are we better off with less God and thought of Him? Wasn't it Richard Dawkins an atheist who admitted that Christianity was good for society? The bottom line for me is believing in God is humbling. If one believes they are the god of their own lives then it promotes pride.
I would say Alabama is just trying to preserve a peaceful society. They aren't trying to hurt anyone or infringe upon anyone's rights. They are just seeing the way society is degrading and trying to do something about it.

Our Founders spoke of God as the Creator. So if you believe in a Creator and believe Him to be a moral agent who wants truth and justice for people then this enhances society. On the other hand those who do not believe in God the Creator believe they are the gods of their lives. What does that do to society? Well, look at the state of things today. Are we better off with less God and thought of Him? Wasn't it Richard Dawkins an atheist who admitted that Christianity was good for society? The bottom line for me is believing in God is humbling. If one believes they are the god of their own lives then it promotes pride.
I would say Alabama is just trying to preserve a peaceful society. They aren't trying to hurt anyone or infringe upon anyone's rights. They are just seeing the way society is degrading and trying to do something about it.
Religion has positive teachings but no religion should be propped up or enforced by the government. We accept all religions or those that don't follow a religion

those who do not believe in God the Creator believe they are the gods of their lives.
81rNRG8p9XL.jpg

...Alabama is just trying to preserve a peaceful society. They aren't trying to hurt anyone or infringe upon anyone's rights. They are just seeing the way society is degrading and trying to do something about it.
How would you feel about all schools being required to post the code of Hammurabi? Much guidance there, with regard to enforcing behaviors that are good for society. it first established the idea of innocent until proven guilty. If even promotes a lot of eye-for-an-eye justice.

But , no. That's unacceptable. They are specifically trying to spread a Christian Nationalist ideology, one that would make the founding fathers CRINGE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT