ADVERTISEMENT

Looking like Peyton will get to go out on top....

I guess that settles it then...

Mannings' 4 SBs and #1 spot in every statistical category = GOAT

Elway and Marino wish they were that good. Montana, the former GOAT, even acknowledges it.

Plus he doesn't cheat (in locker room, on the field, with his pregnant gf, etc) so on top of being the best NFL player of all time, he may also be the greatest human of all time. How many of you sent a hand-written note to a teacher, former boss, loved-one, fan dying of cancer, etc. lately?

The Peyton Manning Children's Hospital should be renamed the GOAT Hospital.

0fa3bb26359daaf92e5eab4cd735eca76585a41fad87cc64fcd9ead857dd42e8_large

Reactions: UTFO
Ugh it's been so long since I've had this argument but in Peyton's peak he played in a dome, surrounded by studs on offense, on a horrible defensive team in a pussy division. He also got very favorable rules changed because of who he was and his whining (which has led to the qb statistical explosion). That pissed me off and its like all baseball stadiums moving the fences in 50 feet and then celebrating the power stats when all the records get shattered. Peyton usered in the era of quarterback over protection and receivers not being able to be touched without a penalty.

Brady played in an outdoor stadium on the east coast on a team that was more balanced but relied on scrap heap receivers and running back by committees. Also, Belicheat didn't win anything until Brady got there. He was fired from Cleveland and was struggling with Bledsoe ( who was a very talented qb physically. A #1 or #2 pick I can't remember). Bledsoe gets his ribs crushed, Brady comes in an immediately goes on a winning streak and wins at a sustained level over a longer period of time than probably any qb in the history of the game. When Brady had an elite receiving weapon...he threw for 50;TDs and lost one game.

That being said, for me personally I'd choose Montana in his prime. He was so clutch and cool under pressure. I watched the part where all of the living past MVPs were announced and they could barely fit the amount of Super Bowl MVP titles under Joe's name.

And now that being said....Aaron Rodger's has a real chance to be the GOAT when he's done from both success and statistical measures. Throw in the fact that he replaced a beloved legend (one who didn't want to leave) and that he plays in a tough division in an outdoor stadium in the north and yeah, he deserves some respect.

Brady had more rules changed for him than Peyton ever dreamed about.

Your argument is incomplete to say the least.

Jeebus....

You can't see the forest through your bifocals.

I'm merely suggesting that Manning isn't a slam dunk Greatest Of All Time, much less top 5. There are so many great qbs. Yes, Manning is one of them, but I'm not anointing him as the best.

He's a slam dunk top 5. You can argue 2-3 other guys pretty well against him for GOAT, but he's a no-brainer top 5.

What possible argument would you have to put Favre, Elway, Marino or Unitas ahead of Manning? It used to be SBs, but none of them have more.

Montana & Brady certainly have argument for GOAT that could trump Manning. Nobody else does.

I guess that settles it then...

Mannings' 4 SBs and #1 spot in every statistical category = GOAT

Elway and Marino wish they were that good. Montana, the former GOAT, even acknowledges it.

Plus he doesn't cheat (in locker room, on the field, with his pregnant gf, etc) so on top of being the best NFL player of all time, he may also be the greatest human of all time. How many of you sent a hand-written note to a teacher, former boss, loved-one, fan dying of cancer, etc. lately?

The Peyton Manning Children's Hospital should be renamed the GOAT Hospital.

G.G.P.O.A.T. - Greatest GOAT Post Of All Time

Reactions: MillerTime
He's a slam dunk top 5. You can argue 2-3 other guys pretty well against him for GOAT, but he's a no-brainer top 5.

What possible argument would you have to put Favre, Elway, Marino or Unitas ahead of Manning? It used to be SBs, but none of them have more.

Montana & Brady certainly have argument for GOAT that could trump Manning. Nobody else does.
I was a little too far out over my skis there....He's top 5; I was just being argumentative.

Peyton Manning: the greatest in NFL history
They all enter the NFL with hyperventilated hype, as saviors for woebegone franchises who have lost their way, towering symbols of hope and a better and brighter tomorrow. It is why they are the very first ones to walk across the stage to shake hands with the commissioner and hold up their new jersey for the photo op they had been dreaming about since they were boys.

Some of them, however, go by the name of JaMarcus Russell. Some of them go by the name of Tim Couch. Some of them go by the name of David Carr.

Only one of them goes by the name of Peyton Manning.

He has made the right call, the most agonizing call of his life, by walking away from the game he loves, the dogged chess matches with Bill Belichick, the generational rivalry with Tom Brady, the endlessly chasing of perfection throwing to Marvin Harrison after practice, the camaraderie with Jeff Saturday, the deceptive hand gestures at the line of scrimmage, the barking of “Omaha,” the desperate, arduous rehab from four neck-fusion surgeries that he refused to let sack him, this last Super comeback from plantar fascia in his 39-year-old left foot.

Thanks for the memories, Peyton.

Go drink all the Budweiser you want before leading or owning a new franchise without a football in your hand.

You leave your last rodeo riding off into the sunset as the Greatest of All Time.

For these reasons: He was the five-time league MVP and the only man to quarterback two franchises to Super Bowl championships; he is the oldest quarterback to win a Super Bowl; he won more games (200) than any quarterback; he threw a record 539 TD passes, a record 71,940 passing yards; he appeared in four Super Bowls with four different coaches, and Belichick was forever standing between him and the Lombardi Trophy. And more than any quarterback, he changed the game.

That was Brady on Facebook after the news of Manning’s retirement broke Sunday morning.

“Peyton was everything we thought he was and even more — for our team & community. What an AMAZING career & we’re thankful he was a Bronco!!”

That was John Elway on Twitter.

Manning goes out after his 18th season in No. 18 more like Derek Jeter, thankfully, than Willie Mays. But mostly like Elway.

Elway walked away from the chance at a threepeat in 1999, even after Mike Shanahan and Pat Bowlen practically begged him to return. Manning had no such luxury. Elway was handing the keys to his kingdom to Brock Osweiler, and the last thing Elway wanted was to be remembered as was the man who released Peyton Manning.

So Manning did Elway a favor, a $19 million favor, and more importantly, did himself a favor. No one wanted to see him attempt to remain forever young learning a new system for new coaches with a new team, a 40-year-old quarterback who might have been subjected to the same beatings his father, Archie, endured all those years with the Saints.

“Peyton’s competitive fire and love of the game made him a legendary player who thrilled fans for a generation. He has served as a great representative of the NFL both on the field and in his community. We are forever grateful for Peyton’s unmatched contributions to the game and know that his success will continue in the next phase of his life.”

That was Roger Goodell.

Former Colts GM Bill Polian drafted Manning over Ryan Leaf in 1998.

“A friend of mine said there were no happy endings in sports, and he’s probably right, there are far more sad endings than happy ones,” Polian said days before Super Bowl 50. “I’m praying that this is a happy one for him.”

Peyton Manning says goodbye officially Monday.

Says goodbye to a football addiction the likes of Belichick and Brady, Bill Parcells and Vince Lombardi, would have understood. Winning wasn’t everything, but it wasn’t the only thing either. Football was everything, and football was the only thing.

“Few have left their marks on a sport as Peyton Manning has. Simply put, he revolutionized NFL football. Peyton energized it as had no one before him, he made it more fun for our fans, and made the game better.”

That was Colts owner Jim Irsay in a statement.

Peyton’s Place: On top of Mountpassmore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT