ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Forward to a New, Modern Offense...

Purdue and IU proved one thing (again) this weekend....the old post-entry offense works well in the winter wrestling clinic known as the B1G conference, but leads to disaster come mid March. Adapt or die. It's basic Darwinism.
I wouldnt say that... TJD completely had his way with Miami.
It was the 2nd and even 3rd chance opportunities Miami had from off rebounding that was really the deciding factor in the game

100 percent agree. Just trying to find threads that are causing the uneven performances, and pull them.

Doesn't matter what us Monday Morning Coach/AD's think...I hope Woody will pull those threads and unravel everything here in the next few weeks. I can't fathom we'll have generational type talent like we had with TJD and JHS, next year, to carry us.
I am critical of JHS’s shooting, and wouldn’t at this point Include him in the same sentence as TJD, BUT when he banged the three threes down the stretch against Miami he looked like a different player and showed his shooting potential. Maybe he is just the kind of player that must be in certain frame of mind to play at a high level. He looked like a killer on those shots but it was too little too late.

They were just such darn nice looking shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
There might be something there with regards to the offense. Everything a basketball team does, has an effect on the overall performance.

I don't think our main problem was our offense though. While I definitely don't like the post entry, space and watch the bigs work, style that he implemented a lot of the time (openly disliked it). I think our inconsistent effort and focus is what limited us as a team, much more than the offense.

Having said that...there could be something there about the overall psychology on the rest of the team, when we just dump it down to TJD or Race most of the game. The lack of movement, the lack of focus on everyone contributing, could have dulled their intensity somehow. It could have infected other parts of our game. Maybe a more modern, spread out, all 5 guys handling and attacking on offense...will keep everyone more engaged, and they'll play harder and be more "in" the games mentally???!! Hope so. As that's an enormous concern for me right now with Woody's first two teams.
...kinda dulls that "edge and/or chip on the shoulder" frame of mind...certainly doesn't create it or even support it...something nature gave X a double dose of it...injuries Suck...

Reactions: Willdog7
The more I think about it, the more excited I get about what next year's team could look like. I know, right now, its likely we'll take a step back in terms of wins/losses, NCAA seeding, etc...

But I've been dying for a new style of play since half way through last season. Unless we end up getting someone, or a couple of players, similar to TJD and Race, in the portal...I can't imagine we won't look quite a lot different next year stylistically.

X and Trey will be mainstays in the backcourt. Malik will be the focal point at the 5.

Its the other two positions that should dramatically change what we look like, and how we play next year. I would be surprised if we don't get a starter level guy, maybe even two in the portal. So whoever that player, or players, end up being, will heavily influence all this.

But lets say Tamar and Kaleb take over the starting spots that Miller and Race left.

That team is A LOT quicker and more athletic than the one we started the 2nd half of the season.

X is a big part of that.

But replacing Miller and Race, both slower players laterally, and one of them just not being athletic in general...it should completely change how we look offensively and defensively.

I also have a feeling Jakai Newton is going to surprise some people, and be a main rotation guy for us next year. He's flying under the radar because of his injury this past year. But in the few games I watched of him, including the game that was on ESPN, he sure looked like a guy that has that "dog" mentality. He had the highlight block on the other teams stud. But beyond that, he was the only one that was able to stand that guy up defensively. And he did it multiple times. I've got a feeling he's gonna push for a starter level role.
Yes and the best he brings as you highlighted is attitude, edge, dog, shoulder chip or old fashioned fire. All which this team needs a double dose of. They'll be exposed to it with he and X if his waiver is successful.

Reactions: Willdog7
They said the same thing about Gunn and Banks so I would temper your expectations on Newman . They say the same thing every year about every frosh coming in but the reality is most frosh will not be big time rotation guys right away. I mean Bates looked great on video also. For that matter Peter Jurkin looked good of video dunking over 6'5 guys. Heck Malik was a 5 star and maybe played 10 minutes a game. We need portal guys ready to go from day one.
Never, ever thought PJ was worth an offer by top 40 program.

I didn't say those things, about those guys?...

And I think Banks should have played more than he did.

Newton looks different, to me. It takes an incredible amount of moxy to come into a game against arguably the best PG in the nation, and seek him out to guard him...and then largely shut him down while guarding him. And then also make a handful of tough shots too on the other end. And he had to know he was only going to get 1-2 minutes of playing time, when he went in, that night. So it says a lot about his ability to be ready to play as soon as he walks on the court.

We'll see. You never know until they go head to head with another high major. But I think he's going to be really, really good. Better than either Gunn or Banks.
Totally agree.

I am critical of JHS’s shooting, and wouldn’t at this point Include him in the same sentence as TJD, BUT when he banged the three threes down the stretch against Miami he looked like a different player and showed his shooting potential. Maybe he is just the kind of player that must be in certain frame of mind to play at a high level. He looked like a killer on those shots but it was too little too late.

Don't know why and it's not because I think negatively of Hood because I don't but when he shot the 3rd one I felt like he was auditioning for the upcoming NBA draft. Just my 3 cent thought at that moment.

I'll concede a point- yes the post-entry offense is yesteryear...but last night we got our asses kicked because we put forward a shit effort on defense and on the boards. That's what I find so frustrating....the loss comes down to points of emphasis that require grit and balls- defense and boards. Also their backcourt was a LOT quicker than ours. JHS and TG were getting schooled out front with their lack of lateral quickness, especially in the first 10 min of the game.
They were out of position….in too high of a guarding position.

Discipline, effort, execution...I think the fact that IU never boxed out was much more problematic than IU's offensive efficiency.
We were very good at what we did points in the paint. We just could not hit an outside shot.

The ugliness of the fourth shot supplanted the beauty of the first three.
We needed those three pointers when we had our five point lead, not in the final minutes of play when they prove meaningless.

damn I feel like a Purdue fan for what I'm about to say (and I'm an old RMK fan as well so this borders on blasphemy )....but would it hurt to throw an occasional zone D back at a team? Not to rely on it, but just to throw a new look at them every so often to take them out of their flow? Seems to work real damn good every time a team throws it at us. Just something to counterpunch a team when they are iso'ing our guards out front and taking them to the hole at will.

Figured if we need to shuffle the deck then why not shuffle all the cards.

Rip me if you want...I'm not a big zone D guy, but i also cringe and have Cuse 2013 flashbacks every time a team throws one at us.
Thought about bringing up using a zone for the same reasons during the game, but figured I'd get boo'd off the site.

4 from the portal minimum. Texas built a good team two years ago doing it.
Texas had Chris Beard two years ago- let’s see what Woody can get done- but don’t hold him against the standard of the best young college coach in the game- that’s not fair to any coach much less a 64 year old with NBA experience

We wil not make the tourny next year unless we have a portal miracle. The expectations will likely be pretty low.
Wouldn’t say miracle, but a very good portal nonetheless. Two of the right kind of players could do it with not one of them being over 6’8”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT