ADVERTISEMENT

Looking back at IU football history

All fair points. The obvious solution is do whatever it takes to get butts in the seats at home to begin with.

#1 on the list (getting butts in the seats) is Win, so Fred is being penny-wise and pound foolish by not scratching and clawing in attempting to gain every competitive advantage possible for INDIANA football (in this case paying what it takes to have the maximum amount of home games possible)... The argument that it costs too much rings hollow given the $ coming in from the Big Ten these days...(in my opinion).

***Just speaking generally in regards to the how and why of our current approach to scheduling...***

Last edited:
Above I suggested we should never have an away game against a MAC or lower conference, unless it is in a recruiting hotbed. Here is some evidence of how another B10 team does it, a team many of us would like to see IU "look like" in the future, with regard to success.

Iowa pre-conference schedule from 2016 through 2020:
Miami Ohio Home
Iowa State Home
North Dakota State Home

Wyoming Home
Iowas State Away (P5 school)
North Texas Home

Northern Illinois Home
Iowa State Home
Northern Iowa Home

Miami Ohio Home
Iowa State Away
Middle Tenn. Home

Northern Iowa Home
Iowa State Home
Northern Illinois Home.

It does not appear Iowa leaves their stadium for games with MAC or lower teams. I understand they sell out, but, sell outs or not, it is all about how much you pay the other team that gets you home games without away games. To me, paying some extra to have home games as you build is money well spent.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
Above I suggested we should never have an away game against a MAC or lower conference, unless it is in a recruiting hotbed. Here is some evidence of how another B10 team does it, a team many of us would like to see IU "look like" in the future, with regard to success.

Iowa per-conference schedule from 2016 through 2020:
Miami Ohio Home
Iowa State Home
North Dakota State Home

Wyoming Home
Iowas State Away (P5 school)
North Texas Home

Northern Illinois Home
Iowa State Home
Northern Iowa Home

Miami Ohio Home
Iowa State Away
Middle Tenn. Home

Northern Iowa Home
Iowa State Home
Northern Illinois Home.

It does not appear Iowa leaves their stadium for games with MAC or lower teams. I understand they sell out, but, sell outs or not, it is all about how much you pay the other team that gets you home games without away games. To me, paying some extra to have home games as you build is money well spent.
Good post...I have a hard time coming to terms with the scheduling practices of Fred Glass.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
Cupcakes, Ord? Hardly. We beat Virginia and FIU last year. They were a combined 17-9, and won their bowl games.

FIU beat nobody significant in 2018 and lost to every decent team it played (MIami, IU, Marshall, UCF). That's if you consider us decent. Virginia and FIU beat 7-5 teams to win their bowls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT