ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the runs scored against us through seven games...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
There is a marked improvement. We are 3-4 through seven games and we were 2-5 at this point last season against similar competition with the opening series with Clemson and three games against good competition in the Round Rock Classic in Texas. Here are the runs given up for the 2022 season and this season through seven games:

2022 - 57 runs given up through seven games with 51 runs earned.

2023 - 32 runs given up through seven games with 26 runs earned.

The team ERA through seven games so far is 3.97. I know you can get into trouble comparing stats, but that's all we have to go by right now, and considering our opening opponents this year, it hopefully bodes well going forward.

I noticed that Bothwell did not get into any of the games this weekend, so I wonder if that was a coach's decision since he didn't get off to a good start against Auburn and lasted just 2.1 IP as the starter. Maybe he tweaked something in that game.

Was wondering same about bothwell and thinking that we would see him used in relief with Sinnard and seti starts Sun and sat. I’m optimistic with pitching so far and bats have to start producing given predominantly weak contact in games this weekend.

Reactions: ptrich
We can do the 3 "S's" on the weekend.
Seiler, Seti and Sinnard! LOL
They certainly pitched well enough to win games, but with the exception of yesterday, we just couldn't come through with the clutch hits when needed. Texas got off to a slow start on opening weekend, but they are still a highly regarded program.

Our slumping hitters will come around. I know that Mathison, Ellis and even Colopy will get it going. I feel that we have too many good hitters on this team to have a sub par season. If the pitchers keep up their good work we will win a lot of games. I am disappointed in Levy so far but I am pulling for him and all the pitching crew to be much better this season. It is easy for me to be an arm chair decision maker. I am a big fan of IU Baseball and I can let my emotions run wild once in a while, LOL. I need to keep in mind that we are dealing with 18-23 year old student athletes and not seasoned professionals. So you all are encouraged to keep me in check if I get to sounding a bit harsh on this board. VBG.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: ptrich
With the B1G season beginning to start, I thought I would update this with totals through 21 games. In the non-conference season up to yesterday's game, IU's team ERA is at 4.62 which is 3rd in the B1G with Iowa leading at 3.96. Again, you have to take into consideration the differences in the schedule strengths around the league.

Here are the numbers on total runs scored and total earned runs through 21 games from 2022 to 2023. I also added BBs and HBP (hit batters) which were two areas we struggled with last season.

2022 - 151 runs given up through 21 games with 138 runs earned. BBs at 87 and HBP 31.

2023 - 111 runs given up through 21 games with 93 runs earned. BBs at 88 and HBP 23.

Obviously, the walks are about the same with the hit batters with some improvement, and if my memory is correct those numbers got significantly worse as the season progressed last year in the conference part of the season. There is a significant difference in the runs scored and runs earned.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT