ADVERTISEMENT

Live chat for IUWBB vs. Iowa 2pm 2-26

I think they did. I was traveling when the game was on and watched it in fast forward which sometimes makes me lose details, but I thought they inbounded and called a timeout and that's how it advanced to half court, no? I wanted to go back and watch that ending too.

Something I'd love to hear Moren explain is why she doesn't put players on the lane on FTs. If she pulls them there, they get a free run at at shot, but with only 1.5 seconds, a contested rebound takes away even more time and if it gets tipped, that's the game. Seems like I heard an announcer say she does that because she feels like you so rarely get the rebound and are more likely to pick up a foul, but if you do get the rebound, or in this case even contest it, it's a huge payoff. Not sure I think that's a good strategy. Love to hear her explain.
Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with a men's game, but I thought they didn't have any timeouts for almost the last 4 minutes.

I didn't get advancing the ball for the timeout, but I just chalked it up to some crazy rule that allows that in the last 2 minutes or something. The NBA has so many stupid rules like that, I can't keep up.

I, too, don't get advancing the ball like that - makes no sense and was probably put in the NBA for entertainment purposes.

I also wish the men's game would go to quarters.

Under no circumstances can Clarke touch the ball there. None.

Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with a men's game, but I thought they didn't have any timeouts for almost the last 4 minutes.

I didn't get advancing the ball for the timeout, but I just chalked it up to some crazy rule that allows that in the last 2 minutes or something. The NBA has so many stupid rules like that, I can't keep up.

I, too, don't get advancing the ball like that - makes no sense and was probably put in the NBA for entertainment purposes.

I also wish the men's game would go to quarters.
I rewatched and they took a timeout after Holme's 2nd made FT and then that gives them an extra 50' of court real estate for some reason. Seems like then every time you take a timeout, you should be able to inbounds anywhere you want within 50' of where you had the ball. Why should a timeout after a made basket be worth more? Just kidding, but I think it's a dumb rule. I'd say definitely put in to "make it more entertaining". If that's the goal, has no one thought of topless games? Yes, I'm a cad.

Reactions: DANC
I rewatched and they took a timeout after Holme's 2nd made FT and then that gives them an extra 50' of court real estate for some reason. Seems like then every time you take a timeout, you should be able to inbounds anywhere you want within 50' of where you had the ball. Why should a timeout after a made basket be worth more? Just kidding, but I think it's a dumb rule. I'd say definitely put in to "make it more entertaining". If that's the goal, has no one thought of topless games? Yes, I'm a cad.
lol I like the way you think! But are you sure you'd want to see the Purdue center topless? I bet I have bigger man-boobs....

I must have been thinking of another game. So, missing the 2nd FT might not have mattered, although if they didn't get possession immediately, time would have run out.

All of the discussion about made or missed second free throw strategy and how IU should have defended Clark is moot. That was about as blatant a travel as I've seen, even considering I occasionally watch NBA games. The ref should've had some guts and integrity and called it. Last I checked, you are required to dribble the ball every so often in the sport of basketball, but what do I know? It makes for super exciting highlights on ESPN, featuring their golden child coming through in the clutch.

All of the discussion about made or missed second free throw strategy and how IU should have defended Clark is moot. That was about as blatant a travel as I've seen, even considering I occasionally watch NBA games. The ref should've had some guts and integrity and called it. Last I checked, you are required to dribble the ball every so often in the sport of basketball, but what do I know? It makes for super exciting highlights on ESPN, featuring their golden child coming through in the clutch.
The funny thing is, I don't recall the announcers saying anything about that, but they dissected that Holmes had walked on the previous play where she got the foul. In replay you could see that she shuffled her feet a bit, but there was some contact too and she didn't change her foot position. I didn't think it was something they generally call at all.

The funny thing is, I don't recall the announcers saying anything about that, but they dissected that Holmes had walked on the previous play where she got the foul. In replay you could see that she shuffled her feet a bit, but there was some contact too and she didn't change her foot position. I didn't think it was something they generally call at all.
She catches the ball that's thrown a bit behind her, plants the right foot, takes a step and plants the left as she starts squaring up and then plants the right to go up. Honest question, is that not a travel? Is that some kind of gathering rule?

She catches the ball that's thrown a bit behind her, plants the right foot, takes a step and plants the left as she starts squaring up and then plants the right to go up. Honest question, is that not a travel? Is that some kind of gathering rule?

I didn't notice it at the time, but in replay it looks like 3 (or even 4) steps to me now. I think it was just that from appearance it seemed she caught it and got into her shot as soon as she could, but with her momentum and body turn, it took an extra step to do it. Watching it yesterday I didn't notice this as a travel, nor the prior possession when the commentators actually said (and I think replayed) that Holmes had traveled. She did move her feet, but it looked to me kind of similar that she was gathering herself and turning and with some contact, she did move her feet, but didn't take a step, which is why I don't think it was called. Neither "looked like a travel" to me while watching or to the refs I guess.

The refs were never going to call a travel there. All IU had to do was deny her the ball. Garzon should have been on the inbounder or a secondary defender on Clarke.

Holmes obviously should've chucked that sucker at the center of the rim as hard as she could've. It would've bounced off like a rocket, been tipped, and game over. The coaches screwed up there but oh well. It won't matter.

The refs were never going to call a travel there. All IU had to do was deny her the ball. Garzon should have been on the inbounder or a secondary defender on Clarke.
You always, always, ALWAYS guard the in-bound pass.

Ask Knight after the Nick Anderson shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Holmes obviously should've chucked that sucker at the center of the rim as hard as she could've. It would've bounced off like a rocket, been tipped, and game over. The coaches screwed up there but oh well. It won't matter.

This was my thinking as well. But then something never practiced can go sideways. Was it this season Trey chucked it and missed the rim?

Seems so simple for the shooter to bounce it off the rim hard enough it bounces back to them.

This was my thinking as well. But then something never practiced can go sideways. Was it this season Trey chucked it and missed the rim?

Seems so simple for the shooter to bounce it off the rim hard enough it bounces back to them.
I think that's what Loyer did for PU with about a minute and a half to go last Saturday. He sunk the first one and then clanked the ball off the back of rim and it bounced back towards him. Good thing Trey (?) was quicker to the ball and got the rebound.

Last edited:
Easier said than done. Most times I have seen it tried, the shooter missed the rim or it went in anyways. You NEVER practice missing the shot!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT