ADVERTISEMENT

Lineup

biglewexpress

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2006
I've been struggling with this, as there are many options. But here's what I see. Offensively, this team can score. I don't think you have a everyday 1-6, but here's a lineup I really like.

1.Krupa LF
2.Miller 3b
3.Dedlow CF
4.Sowers RF
5.Lloyd 1b
6.Fineman C
7.Matheny DH
8.Butler 2b
9.Houston ss

I think Krupa/Eustace could be interchangeable. If Millers not ready you could slide Lloyd to 3b and Cangelosi at 1b. LHH: Eustace,Loeffler, Bradley. RHH: Stratten, Matheny, Cangelosi, Gorski, Kryzsko (pronounced like Crisco)

I've been struggling with this, as there are many options. But here's what I see. Offensively, this team can score. I don't think you have a everyday 1-6, but here's a lineup I really like.

1.Krupa LF
2.Miller 3b
3.Dedlow CF
4.Sowers RF
5.Lloyd 1b
6.Fineman C
7.Matheny DH
8.Butler 2b
9.Houston ss

I think Krupa/Eustace could be interchangeable. If Millers not ready you could slide Lloyd to 3b and Cangelosi at 1b. LHH: Eustace,Loeffler, Bradley. RHH: Stratten, Matheny, Cangelosi, Gorski, Kryzsko (pronounced like Crisco)

Two questions:

What's up with Miller?

You really don't see Cangelosi as an everyday guy?

IU looks to find relief for sophomore catcher
by Taylor Lehman

Then-freshman Ryan Fineman played in 23 Big Ten games in 2016, and the catcher started all of them.

That is a large load for any catcher, let alone a Big Ten catcher, and IU Coach Chris Lemonis said he knows that load needs to be reduced in order for Fineman to maximize his performance at the position.

That’s why Lemonis is working sophomore catcher Eric Hansen and freshman catcher Jake Matheny into the mix as well.

“We feel like we have three really capable catchers there,” Lemonis said. “Eric and Jake have been really good.”

In 2016, Fineman started 50 of IU’s 54 games and ultimately became an All-Big Ten Freshman Team selection. After his backup, former Hoosier Demetrius Webb, left the program during the season, Fineman played every inning the rest of the way.

The catcher finished second in the Big Ten in runners caught stealing and allowed the third-fewest stolen bases. At the plate, Fineman finished top-five on the team in hits, doubles, home runs and runs batted in.

The season’s statistical success was there for Fineman, but his average dropped considerably throughout the Big Ten schedule at the tail end of a 50-plus-game season.

He entered an early-April series against Purdue with a .315 batting average and ended the regular season in late May with a .268 average. In that stretch, Fineman collected just 24 hits in 105 at-bats.

Fineman was a pillar the Hoosiers could lean on as they finished third in the Big Ten, but Lemonis said he plans on using Matheny and Hansen to relieve Fineman before the pillar crumbles.

Matheny — son of former MLB catcher and current St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny — has come to Bloomington and impressed the coaching staff, Lemonis said.

The freshman out of St. Louis was ranked No. 430 in the nation and No. 3 in the state of Missouri, according to Perfect Game USA, and he studied Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina before arriving in Bloomington.

Lemonis said Matheny has hit five or six home runs in the last three weekends of scrimmages. The freshman caught the entire game for the Black team in IU’s last open scrimmage Sunday evening, while Fineman and Hansen split the Red team’s reps.

“Jake’s had a really good spring training,” Lemonis said about Matheny. “He’s had some good swings.”

At 5-foot-9 and 182 pounds, Hansen is the smallest of the three catchers and only had one at-bat in 2016. That’s all the experience the sophomore has in collegiate baseball.

However, Hansen was involved in all the drills at practice before Sunday’s scrimmage and helped prepare pitchers for the game just like the other two catchers.

The Homer Glen, Illinois, native, along with Matheny, will be a significant improvement over lacking a backup catcher entirely, like the Hoosiers did last season.

“We’re still developing defensively all the time, like all of them,” Lemonis said about his catchers. “But we really like our catching position right now. We’ve got three really capable guys.”

idsnews.com/article/2017/02/iu-looks-to-find-relief-for-sophomore-catcher

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: RBB89
Hoosiers working with experienced lineup, young pitchers in 2017
by Mike Miller

Chris Lemonis views his baseball team through two lenses.

Before him, there is an older, more mature lineup that features at least a couple of the Big Ten’s best bats. Then, there is also a pitching staff that, while appearing talented, lacks the experience featured in last season’s weekend rotation.

Getting both sides to blend together will be Indiana’s focus when the season begins on Friday night.

“I think it’s going to be an exciting season,” said Lemonis, now in his third season as Indiana’s coach. “This first weekend will be a lot of competition and everything going on. We set up our schedule to play some of the nation’s best and really test us. Our first couple weeks will be a good test of our ball club. I feel like we kind of have two different teams in some ways.”

Where last year’s strength was found on the mound, this year’s team should be anchored at the plate, where IU returns a trio of All-Big Ten caliber bats in Logan Sowers, Craig Dedelow and Luke Miller to the middle of its order.

Hitting was a struggle down the stretch last spring, when the Hoosiers batted .208 across the final 10 games and struck out 77 times during the final three weeks of action. Shortstop Brian Wilhite (graduated) is the only starter who doesn’t return in 2017, while All-Big Ten Freshmen team honorees Scotty Bradley (.257 average, 18 RBIs) and Ryan Fineman (.268 average, 25 RBIs) provide depth to the bottom half of the lineup.

“It’s awesome to not have to really rely on your first four or five hitters,” Sowers said. “We feel we have a really strong lineup, one through nine. We feel everyone has a chance to hit for power, get on base. We’re gonna steal some bags and hit for average, too. We have a really strong lineup and I’m really excited to see what we can do this year.”

Sowers and Dedelow are the headliners. The latter a 34th round selection of the Pittsburgh Pirates last June, and the former a junior slugger who earned the team’s most valuable player honors in 2016.

Sowers started 44 games as a sophomore, leading the Hoosiers in slugging (.466), on-base percentage (.377) and home runs (eight) — doing so while playing through a nagging wrist injury.

Dedelow, meanwhile, opted for a final year in Bloomington after the Pittsburgh Pirates picked him on the final day of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. Dedelow, a third-team All-Big Ten selection, tied for 11th in the league in doubles (16), while leading the Hoosiers with a .302 average.

“These guys have played a lot of baseball,” Lemonis said. “They’ve swung it really well to this point, and I think they’re at a point in their career where they’re ready to have big years. With good lineups and good offenses, you feed off each other so there are a lot of guys out there — the Alex Krupas, the Tony Butlers, the Luke Millers (and) we have a new player (JUCO infielder) Matt Lloyd, a very talented hitter who will jump into that mix that we’ll be able to put out a lineup with good depth and do some different things together.”

Defensively, too, IU should feel good about its middle infield. At second base, Butler became the first Hoosier to win the Rawlings Gold Glove award after fielding 203 chances without making an error.

Jeremy Houston, who D1Baseball.com projects as the Big Ten Freshman of the Year, will take over for Wilhite at shortstop.

“He’s really good defensively,” Lemonis said. “He just goes about his business a little bit different than some guys. To be able to put a guy out there that can play maybe the toughest position on the field at a high level is huge. He’ll have his ups and downs, but he’ll go out there and compete.”

That’s the same mindset Lemonis wants to see from his young arms.

Indiana lost its top two weekend starters, Kyle Hart (19th round, Boston Red Sox) and Caleb Baragar (9th round, San Francisco Giants). Sunday starter Evan Bell also graduated and signed a contract with the Chicago White Sox.

So the Hoosiers enter a new season with a completely new weekend staff.

Sophomore right-hander Jonathan Stiever, who appeared in 18 games last season, starting four, will get the opening night assignment in Friday’s contest with Gonzaga. Sophomore left-hander Tim Herrin, who made four relief appearances in 2016, will get the start Saturday against Duke, freshman left-hander Andrew Saalfrank will start Sunday’s rematch with Gonzaga and junior Brian Hobbie will close the weekend with a start on Monday against Oregon State.

“The experience is hard to replace sometimes,” Lemonis said, “but at some point, Kyle Hart was young. That’s the biggest side for us. A lot of our youth is in (the sophomore class). Jonathan Stiever pitched a lot last year, pitched a lot last summer. Pauly Milto. Timmy Herrin’s out there. He hasn’t pitched that much, but he pitched a full summer and has had a really good year for us getting back from the fall. Just getting them out there in real games and having success (will be most important). We’re excited about them.”

Although IU lost Bloomington South product Jake Kelzer to the Philadelphia Phillies in the 18th round of last June’s draft, there is still a bit of experience at the back end of the Hoosiers’ bullpen.

Late-inning situations will be split between juniors Luke Stephenson and B.J. Sabol and Milto, a sophomore.

“We just have a lot of young arms who will get out there and get a chance to throw,” Lemonis said.

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/

Go Hoosiers!

Millers had some minor bumps this fall and spring.

In short, no I don't see an everyday player.

Interesting......he hasn't developed the consistency I thought he would, but since he's played so much the past two years, I just kind of penciled him in. I guess if we have better options now, that's a good thing.

1.Krupa LF
2.Miller 3b
3.Dedlow CF
4.Sowers RF
5.Lloyd 1b
6.Fineman C
7.Matheny DH
8.Butler 2b
9.Houston ss

Interesting...

I like....

1. Eustace DH
2. Krupa LF
3. Dedelow CF
4. Sowers RF
5. Fineman C
6. Miller 3B
7. Lloyd 1B
8. Butler 2B
9. Houston SS

Interesting......he hasn't developed the consistency I thought he would, but since he's played so much the past two years, I just kind of penciled him in. I guess if we have better options now, that's a good thing.
He's a great kid, and he will get his opportunities, but Lloyd and Mathenys bats are just more advanced.

We watched a portion of Sunday's scrimmage. Miller roasted a ball into the right/center gap. The team feels bigger/stronger at the plate. What little we saw I was impressed with Stratten's two quality at bats. Watched Houston fly down the baseline on a sac bunt. The kid has some serious wheels. Saalfrank had a sharp bite into his off speed pitches and showed nice location. Big team overall with some serious speed. Can't wait for Friday!!!

IU slugger explains return to Bloomington
by Taylor Lehman

Craig Dedelow was IU’s best hitter during the 2016 season.

The senior outfielder led the Hoosiers in seven statistical batting categories, finished second on the team in three more categories, and played and started all 56 games.

In those 56 games, Dedelow recorded at least one hit in 42 of them and was the only Hoosier batter to finish the season with a batting average better than .300.

The Munster, Indiana, native was consistent in the second spot of the IU lineup during a season when pitching was the strength of the team.

The Pittsburgh Pirates took notice.

Dedelow was drafted in the 34th round of the 2016 MLB Draft by the Pirates, but the then-junior did not sign a professional contract. He stayed in Bloomington.

“It was mostly, ‘Am I ready to start my professional career?’” Dedelow said. “Some parts of me felt like I was.”

The outfielder had come a long way since his freshman season in 2014, when he played just 36 games with a .232 batting average and a 16-12 hit-strikeout ratio.

In the last two seasons, Dedelow became a household name for the casual IU baseball fan. He and the other IU sluggers represent the post-2013 College World Series era — an era of a team with batters drawn to Bloomington for the reputation left behind by Chicago Cubs star and former Hoosier Kyle Schwarber.

Dedelow was one of those batters, and being drafted by the Pirates proved his value to the Hoosiers and showed the potential he had to increase that value after another season in Bloomington. The senior said he recognized that and decided he needed more preparation for the pros.

“Being in the weight room and being a lot more physical is a big thing for me,” Dedelow said. “Not playing summer ball this summer and staying in Bloomington and being able to workout with our strength coach and actually have a program day-by-day — that was a big part for me.”

Statistically, it’s not difficult to recognize why Dedelow would want to improve before signing a professional contract. After recording career highs in batting average at .325, hits with 76, runs with 40, home runs with 7 and slugging percentage at .496 in 2015, he fell just shy of all those marks in 2016.

That doesn’t mean he had a down season. It means he didn’t improve statistically the way many collegiate athletes like to before going pro.

“Overall, I didn’t feel like my whole self was there ready to make the decision, and if I wasn’t 100 percent bought into it, then it just wasn’t the right time,” Dedelow said.

Junior outfielder Logan Sowers — who led the team in home runs with 8 and slugging percentage at .466 in 2016 — said he heard Dedelow actually had signed with the Pirates before the real news broke after the draft.

“When I heard that I was like, ‘Good for him, but that kind of hurts us,’” Sowers, laughing, said. “Then the other news came out that he actually didn’t sign, and I was extremely happy.”

Sowers also noted Dedelow’s abilities in the field in addition to his batting. Dedelow has committed just 11 errors in three seasons, but for Sowers and most IU baseball fans and coaches, Dedelow makes the biggest difference at the plate.

“The guy’s hit over .300 the last two years,” Sowers said. “Just a solid guy in the middle of the lineup. It just helps us a ton.”

idsnews.com/article/2017/02/iu-slugger-explains-return-to-bloomington

Go Hoosiers!

Two questions:

What's up with Miller?

You really don't see Cangelosi as an everyday guy?
In the intrasquad games, Miller has been hitting but not running afterwards....not even going to first. And I see Cangie as the everyday 1B. I guess I'm missing something there.

IU lineup has wealth of talent for 2017
by Spencer Davis

Despite posting a team batting average of .257 — its lowest mark in more than 30 years — in 2016, IU baseball players and coaches said they are confident the talent in its deep lineup will allow that number to rise this season.

IU Coach Chris Lemonis said he will have a tough decision to make regarding the leadoff spotand listed senior outfielder Alex Krupa, junior outfielder Laren Eustace and freshman infielder Jeremy Houston as potential table setters.

Lemonis named Houston the team’s starting shortstop Monday and said he is impressed with the Chicago native’s ability to play arguably the toughest position on the field at a high level.

“Our lineup is going to have some real depth to it,and when you’ll be able to put your freshman down there and let him hit in that part of the lineup,it’s key,” Lemonis said. “He’s a freshman,and it’s hard to put too much into freshmen,but he’s a good one.”

When Krupa and senior infielder Tony Butler were producing well last season, the team succeeded. Senior outfielder Craig Dedelow said he believes their bright stretches were just a glimpse of what the Hoosiers can be this year.

After strong campaigns in 2015 and 2016, which culminated in a 2016 MLB draft selection by the Pittsburgh Pirates, Dedelow is back in Bloomingtonhyperlink: idsnews.com/article/2017/02/iu-slugger-explains-return-to-bloomington for his final season and will hold down the middle of IU’s lineup along with junior outfielder Logan Sowers. Lemonis said having the duo in the lineup will be key for the offense as a whole.

“These guys have played a lot of baseball,and they’ve swung it really well to this point,” Lemonis said. “I think that they are at a point in their career where they are ready to have big years.”

Sowers said the game has slowed down for him now after seeing even more college pitching during the summer and said he’s confident he will rebound from the hand injury he suffered last season.

The junior said he has noticed clear jumps and improvements in the play of last year’s freshmen. Now that they are more experienced,they have a good idea of what this season is going to be like, Sowers said.

“We feel like we have a really strong lineup one through nine,” Sowers said. “We feel like everyone has a chance to hit for some power, get on base, steal some bags and hit for average too.”

Lemonis used the versatility of Luke Miller last season. The then-freshman bounced around from position to position. In order to maximize the production and number of at-bats for Miller in his sophomore season, IU’s third-year coach announced the utility man will see more permanent play at third base in 2017.

Perhaps the position with the largest increase in depth is the catcher spot. Last season, then-freshman Ryan Fineman started 23 of IU’s 24 Big Ten games behind the plate for the Hoosiers. Sophomore Eric Hansen and freshman Jake Matheny will provide Fineman with much-needed rest as they fill in for him throughout the season.

“We feel like we have three really capable catchers right there,” Lemonis said. “We’re still developing defensively all the time but we like our catching position right now.”

idsnews.com/article/2017/02/iu-lineup-has-wealth-of-talent-for-2017

Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT