ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers Poised To Meet Expecations

snowling

Hall of Famer
By: Ben Segelbaum
IUHoosiers.com

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. –
A week out from the Cream & Crimson game at Memorial Stadium, the linebackers position updates on the growth through spring practice and what they need to do before the fall.

"We've been happy thus far and understand that it's a process," Linebackers coach William Inge said. "We have a lot of new guys a lot of new faces and they're growing, learning with each practice. For us that's been the best thing about this process, seeing them grow and learn and make the plays you're supposed to make on the field."

Leading the linebackers in the 2017 campaign is senior Tegray Scales . Going into the season, Scales sits ninth on Indiana's career list with 33.5 tackles for loss. In his final go around, the expectations for the Hoosiers is soaring.

"Expectations are higher," Scales said. "We had a decent season as a defense last year, now we want to be Top-25. The level has risen, so now we are doing what we can to be a Top-25 defense."

Work will have to be put in to reach those expectations Scales and the rest of the defense has set for themselves but coaches recognize they are off to a great start.

"The main thing we always have to do just when it comes to us being on defense, we have to play with fanatical effort, take the football away, and make sure we're aggressive when it comes to making the short tackles," Inge said. "Those are the three things that we always look forward to whenever we go into a scrimmage or game like scenario."

Scales will play a big factor in reaching those expectations as he comes back from a season in which he became the first IU linebacker to earn All-America honors since 1987, led the country with 23.5 tackles for loss (69 yards), which ranks second on IU's all-time list, and 93 solo tackles.

"The best thing about him, he's really done a great job from a preparation standpoint and not just for him but making sure the group, the rest of the defense, and the rest of the team does a great job from a preparation standpoint," Inge said. "We've been very pleased with him thus far and we can't wait to see how the product looks as we get ready to hit the field coming up."

Although an All-American season, Scales, like everyone else, still takes this time to get better.

"Mostly focusing on takeaways," Scales said. "Attacking the ball with violence, harassing the ball and getting the ball out. I just control my effort, it's the only thing I can control, and hopefully it's contagious. Letting them see me fly around will hopefully affect them. We probably put in about half of our defense now and the rest of spring ball, I want to see our defense playing fast. That's what made us a great defense, is playing fast."

Videos within:
iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/4/6/football-linebackers-poised-to-meet-expecations.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT