ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's is out and here's what they say.

E.Z.Rider

Aug 29, 2001
Oregon
They rank IU number 71 nationally, last in the B1G.

McCulley is our only All-Conference pick as a 2nd team WR.

Our recruiting class was ranked 16 in the B1G.

Last years team finished: 99 in total offense, 85 in total defense and tied for 101 in special teams.

Based on last years showing I guess we don't deserve any better.

Yes a couple special things were observed in the spring game … but not enough to guarantee 30.0+ ppg on offense.

Surprised James Evans doesn’t get more love as a standout punter … 101 in ST, with James punting is unexpected.

Defense was uneven last year… Spring game didn’t dis prove that.

I have no issue with those numbers,remember what happened a couple years ago when we started the season in the top 15?
Lower expectations means there is only one way to go….up.
I haven’t been this excited about the football season in a long time and I’ve been going to games for over 50 years.

I have no issue with those numbers,remember what happened a couple years ago when we started the season in the top 15?
I haven’t been this excited about the football season in a long time and I’ve been going to games for over 50 years.
Exactly. I want to keep expectation low because it hurts less if things go wrong.

Yeah, the last time I was excited was punt John Punt.

The rating service is playing it safe. It does not seem to weight the transfer class. Personally, I want expectations. I tired of feeling negative about IU football. I want the recruiting classes to see that we are trending up.

They rank IU number 71 nationally, last in the B1G.

McCulley is our only All-Conference pick as a 2nd team WR.

Our recruiting class was ranked 16 in the B1G.

Last years team finished: 99 in total offense, 85 in total defense and tied for 101 in special teams.

Based on last years showing I guess we don't deserve any better.
Has to be the easiest job in sports writing. Predicting Hoosier football. I bet I've read that article 35 times in the last 40 years.

I'm also pretty excited about the season, like a lot of others. But I'm going to try to focus on more granular things like tackling, blown coverages, etc... Rather than too much on wins and losses. Until anyone proves otherwise, we are still Indiana. And that hasn't often turned out well in the B10, more often than not, no matter who the coach has been.

This hire does have a little more of a "Coach Hep" feeling to it, in terms of just overall competence. Hopefully he can reset what IU football is this year, and build on that over the next couple years and build a successful program.

I'm also pretty excited about the season, like a lot of others. But I'm going to try to focus on more granular things like tackling, blown coverages, etc... Rather than too much on wins and losses. Until anyone proves otherwise, we are still Indiana. And that hasn't often turned out well in the B10, more often than not, no matter who the coach has been.

This hire does have a little more of a "Coach Hep" feeling to it, in terms of just overall competence. Hopefully he can reset what IU football is this year, and build on that over the next couple years and build a successful program.
I totally agree,trust me I know the history we are up against.
I would be elated with 6 wins and a bowl game given the favorable schedule I think that’s pretty reasonable expectations.

Bowl game is a pretty good "goal" to look towards as a fan base...But if we go 4-8, but look more solid doing it, not the end of the world.
I’d be surprised if we we don’t win 6 and get to a bowl. This guy is a hardass football coach with a solid no nonsense staff. Those JMU transfers he brought know they’ve gotta carry their coach’s water and I’m pretty confident they will.

I’d be surprised if we we don’t win 6 and get to a bowl. This guy is a hardass football coach with a solid no nonsense staff. Those JMU transfers he brought know they’ve gotta carry their coach’s water and I’m pretty confident they will.
One of the football rating mags., not sure which one, had JMU rated
higher than IU. I thought this rating was hilarious considering
IU has a bunch of the JMU's players.

The only thing that is going to change the perception of IU is to win some damn games.
Until that time they will continue to be perceived for what they are,the school with the worst winning percentage college football history..

Just correcting a fact. IU is not the team with the worst winning percentage. There are 8 teams with a worse percentage. IU has the most losses because they have been playing football longer than any of those others.

We need to stop thinking something bad will happen with IUFB as this staff has shown they win wherever they go. I am not afraid to dream big with this team and I hope they come through giving fans hope for the future.

We need to stop thinking something bad will happen with IUFB as this staff has shown they win wherever they go. I am not afraid to dream big with this team and I hope they come through giving fans hope for the future.
Also steadfastly believe when changes are called for Cignetti will make them on the fly when and however possible. Any not possible through the season will get priority immediately after. The nature of his personality exudes improvement. His ascension through the levels of his HCing history are the proof.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/her...-index-is-predicting-for-iu-football-in-2024/

Clearly, IU’s intangibles aren’t carrying a lot of weight. (Likely viewed as negatives). UCLA with a new coach. And, MD with a new QB, are early opportunities to change this narrative. We’ll see how good the new coaches are.

FPI says IU is the worst team in the 18-team Big Ten, and the 77th best team in the country. (5.3Wins)

Aug. 31 vs. Florida International (No. 132 overall — out of 134)
Sept. 7 vs. Western Illinois (FCS)
Sept. 14 at UCLA (No. 40 overall / No. 9 Big Ten)
Sept. 21 vs. Charlotte (No. 116 overall)
Sept. 28 vs. Maryland (No.
46 overall / No. 12 Big Ten)
Oct. 5 at Northwestern (No.
57 overall / No. 13 Big Ten)
Oct. 19 vs. Nebraska (No. 41 overall / No. 10 Big Ten)
Oct. 26 vs. Washington (No. 31 overall / No. 6 Big Ten)
Nov. 2 at Michigan State (No.
68 overall / No. 17 Big Ten)
Nov. 9 vs. Michigan (No. 12 overall / No. 4 Big Ten)
Nov. 23 at Ohio State (No. 4 overall / No. 2 Big Ten)
Nov. 30 vs. Purdue (No. 60 overall / No. 14 Big Ten)

Last edited:
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/her...-index-is-predicting-for-iu-football-in-2024/

Clearly, IU’s intangibles aren’t carrying a lot of weight. (Likely viewed as negatives). UCLA with a new coach. And, MD with a new QB be are early opportunities to change this narrative. We’ll see how good the new coaches are.

FPI says IU is the worst team in the 18-team Big Ten, and the 77th best team in the country. (5.3Wins)

Aug. 31 vs. Florida International (No. 132 overall — out of 134)
Sept. 7 vs. Western Illinois (FCS)
Sept. 14 at UCLA (No. 40 overall / No. 9 Big Ten)
Sept. 21 vs. Charlotte (No. 116 overall)
Sept. 28 vs. Maryland (No.
46 overall / No. 12 Big Ten)
Oct. 5 at Northwestern (No.
57 overall / No. 13 Big Ten)
Oct. 19 vs. Nebraska (No. 41 overall / No. 10 Big Ten)
Oct. 26 vs. Washington (No. 31 overall / No. 6 Big Ten)
Nov. 2 at Michigan State (No.
68 overall / No. 17 Big Ten)
Nov. 9 vs. Michigan (No. 12 overall / No. 4 Big Ten)
Nov. 23 at Ohio State (No. 4 overall / No. 2 Big Ten)
Nov. 30 vs. Purdue (No. 60 overall / No. 14 Big Ten)
IU can surprise a lot of teams in the B1G this year and I am sure they will.

IU can surprise a lot of teams in the B1G this year and I am sure they will.
Lindys has always been the worst of the bunch in several areas... Their only redeeming quality was always the incognito coaches comments but they were usually so generic that you had to wonder sometimes if they were making them up... (I think they're real)...

I'm one who believes we won't truly know what kind of TEAM we've actually got until right after the Washington game and that's a Full 7 games in...

Any magazines or website fronts pretending to prognosticate with any real accuracy at this point are just making stuff up without any real data to work with...

Should be an interesting season...

Here's my only solid data point:
Cignetti is a Winner, "Google It"... 😉🤣😎

I think we only play one team actually out on the west coast this year but that will tell us a lot about who we're going to be as a TEAM...
Agree, UCLA will be a true test as to how we measure up to BIG competition. I'm confident in Coach Cig & staff will pull the upset.

Agree, UCLA will be a true test as to how we measure up to BIG competition. I'm confident in Coach Cig & staff will pull the upset.
I'm thinking that will be the early big test while the results of the next 5 will really tell us whether we've actually got a special group or whether we're going to struggle to break .500 ...

Should be interesting...

Example intangibles…

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...nes-recognized-among-top-assistants-in-nation

We hired a team of coaches … not just a head coach. DC Bryant Haines was a Frank Broyles semifinalist. As highly regarded a hire as any in recent memory.

On a per-game basis in 2023, James Madison ranked first in the entire FBS in rushing yards allowed (61.5), 18th in points allowed (18.5), 29th in total yards allowed (328.6). The Dukes also ranked first in the nation with 114 tackles for loss and sixth with 45 sacks.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...-pat-kuntz-back-home-again-in-indiana-fooball

Pat believes in DTs shedding the block and go make the play.

I would rather be ranked last by every publication and finish in the top half than to be ranked in the top half by every publication and finish last. When you exceed expectations it feels good. When you massively fail at meeting expectations it is a major downer. I like earning respect on the field and not on paper.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT