ADVERTISEMENT

Life after Nate

Ghostridah

Senior
Sep 30, 2006
For IU football in my lifetime, there's always been "Hope".

First of all, here's hoping that Camion Patrick makes it to IU and can make an impact. Here's hoping some other guys "seize the opportunity" and step up to make big contributions at receiver. Here's hoping the line gives Nate protection and that he has a tremendous season.

But last season when he went out........ Well, we all saw what happened. So what happens when Nate graduates and moves on (hopefully to an NFL future)?

Well, a lot more HOPE and a lot of questions... There is no obvious choice waiting in the wings. No sure fire stud athlete in waiting. So in my mind, Coach Wilson and Coach Johns are very important. THE SYSTEM is going to have to work as well as the play calling. Putting whomever is out there in the best situation to succeed is key. All of IU's quarterbacks next yr have more mobility than Nate has shown. This will allow IU to run it's FULL COMPLIMENT of offense, including QB keeps on the read option and some triple option that they used during Tre's freshman season.

Options:

Zander Diamont: I caught a little bit of a show about Doug Flutie this last couple of days. NO.. I'm not saying Zander is or can be Doug Flutie. Flute was probably 5-9 and was smart, quick and had guts and panache... (for some of you young guys, you can look that up) Zander has moxie, guts and leadership skills.. Questions: Arm strength. Not a guy you want throwing to the flat on the wide side of the field. At least, not last season. Decision making. At times, Zander was overwhelmed and chucked it up there like it was flag football. But Zander also has something of an "IT" factor. Hard to describe. But Zander seems to have leadership skills, some guts, and a will to win. May be as good as the guys around him. But Zander will be fun to watch.

Danny Cameron: Bigger physically than Zander. The son of a coach he seems to be smart (on tape) and capable. Not elite arm strength, but that can be compensated for with quick reads, good decisions and accuracy. Moves well and could be a bit of a running threat. Or someone who can tuck it and get you a first down. If he's smart and doesn't make mistakes, he could be effective. Might be a bit of a guy who manages the game. On film he reminded me of a couple of the NW quarterbacks in the past who could do a lot of things well but nothing great and just won.

Austin King: A real unknown to most of us. Yes we've seen him on film. Pretty mobile w/o being elusive. Could be effective and at least a threat in the run game. Decent size and quick release. Unique throwing motion yet seems accurate. I actually preferred his film to Tommy Stevens b/c Stevens always looked to be shot putting many of his touch throws. Stevens obviously bigger and is a better runner. I think Austin can be an effective option for IU.

Donovan Hale: A real mystery. BIG, STRONG, ATHLETIC. Reminds me some of a kid who played at Purdue yrs ago. The kind of runner that db's go "ouch" when he turns it up field. Seems to have a big, raw arm and a lot of tools. For every Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, the world is full of "big strong athletes with big arms" who in the end couldn't play. Can he learn and master the nuances of the position? Is he more than a flame thrower? Can he play with touch? Will undoubtedly redshirt a yr to develop. Should be fun and interesting to watch.

Peyton Ramsey: Decent size, excellent runner and a guy with a quick release and seems to be able to make a variety of throws. Looks like he can anticipate and throw to spots. A nice guy to develop. More tools than many kids IU has recruited for the position in the past 25 yrs.

HUNTER JOHNSON: Yes, I know he's still in HS and everyone wants him. What's not to like as a QB?
In my mind, a better prospect than the guy going to Michigan. Can run. Can throw. Can throw a variety of throws. He'd look great at IU. Are you listening Hunter? vbg..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News