ADVERTISEMENT

Last minute surprises?

kpbucks4454

Junior
Sep 8, 2004
Does anyone predict any last minute kabooms!? Several top prospects visiting this weekend.
Could we pick up one or two?

Reactions: RBB89
I will say though, I liked what he said.

"I will have to go to a prep school for a semester, then hopefully iufb will offer again in January. If they do I will be attending IU in 2018. I will always support Indiana and I hope my dawgs win big in Bloomington and I will forever be a part of #HoosierArmy17."

Good luck to him getting those grades right because that should be his primary focus. He will be better for it in the long run but something tells me IU will be back with an offer.

I will say though, I liked what he said.

"I will have to go to a prep school for a semester, then hopefully iufb will offer again in January. If they do I will be attending IU in 2018. I will always support Indiana and I hope my dawgs win big in Bloomington and I will forever be a part of #HoosierArmy17."

Good luck to him getting those grades right because that should be his primary focus. He will be better for it in the long run but something tells me IU will be back with an offer.

He has a chance to kick butt in the classroom and get back on track, even if he doesn't come here in the future. Hopefully he makes the best of it.

I went to a prep school after high school for one semester. Study hall five nights a week and everybody did a sixth night voluntarily. Studying became as competitive as sports. Almost everyone was prepping to get into West Point or the Naval Academy. All classic underachievers who's primary focus was sports in high school.

I finally learned study habits there that helped me immensely as an undergraduate. It was the hardest I ever worked in school. After that I went to New York for three years and then to Indiana for grad school. By the time I got to Bloomington I treated school like it was my job. Amazing what one can do with a little bit of effort. In high school I thought I just had to sit in my chair to absorb everything.

Going to a prep school is a great investment.

I went to a prep school after high school for one semester. Study hall five nights a week and everybody did a sixth night voluntarily. Studying became as competitive as sports. Almost everyone was prepping to get into West Point or the Naval Academy. All classic underachievers who's primary focus was sports in high school.

I finally learned study habits there that helped me immensely as an undergraduate. It was the hardest I ever worked in school. After that I went to New York for three years and then to Indiana for grad school. By the time I got to Bloomington I treated school like it was my job. Amazing what one can do with a little bit of effort. In high school I thought I just had to sit in my chair to absorb everything.

Going to a prep school is a great investment.

I'm not as familiar with what all goes into prep school but like you said, you get out what you put in. The question is always, will someone learn just how important/beneficial it is for them to commit fully to academics and allow sports to be their reward instead of the other way around.

I'm not as familiar with what all goes into prep school but like you said, you get out what you put in. The question is always, will someone learn just how important/beneficial it is for them to commit fully to academics and allow sports to be their reward instead of the other way around.

Study hall: 3-1/2 hours a night, no talking, two feet on the floor, sitting at your desk and no music. Your door is open and a proctor is walking the hall to monitor your behavior.

Does anyone predict any last minute kabooms!? Several top prospects visiting this weekend.
Could we pick up one or two?
Not last minute but 247 Sports is unanimous in predicting 3* db Raheem Layne will announce for IU. This is the prospect that recently de committed from Minnesota. Rated as a 3* recruit from Florida with surprisingly few offers....let's hope TA can work his magic and that Raheem is a hard worker and great listener.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Study hall: 3-1/2 hours a night, no talking, two feet on the floor, sitting at your desk and no music. Your door is open and a proctor is walking the hall to monitor your behavior.
Sounds more like prison! lol

Not last minute but 247 Sports is unanimous in predicting 3* db Raheem Layne will announce for IU. This is the prospect that recently de committed from Minnesota. Rated as a 3* recruit from Florida with surprisingly few offers....let's hope TA can work his magic and that Raheem is a hard worker and great listener.

Iowa, VT, Vandy, Wake, Minny is a pretty solid offer list

Very disappointing about Mullins. Hard to figure. My experience would make me believe he might not
Have known what he needed. When I was working with student-athletes, I would sit down with the student AND a parent and go over the math at the beginning of the semester in the Fall. Based on the test score we would know what gpa we needed. Then you "pad" the schedule with core courses and do the math. When mom and dad and junior knew exactly which classes needed to be a B or C and which non- core classes didn't matter, 99.9% of the time they responded. My guess is they didn't know what he specifically needed.
Of course, you have to know all the details. But usually if it's close, they make it. Good luck, Derrius. Hit the books. Make sure you know the requirements, exactly and hopefully see you Spring '18.
Ps. Welcome Raheem! Glad you are a Hoosier! Best of luck.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Very disappointing about Mullins. Hard to figure. My experience would make me believe he might not
Have known what he needed. When I was working with student-athletes, I would sit down with the student AND a parent and go over the math at the beginning of the semester in the Fall. Based on the test score we would know what gpa we needed. Then you "pad" the schedule with core courses and do the math. When mom and dad and junior knew exactly which classes needed to be a B or C and which non- core classes didn't matter, 99.9% of the time they responded. My guess is they didn't know what he specifically needed.
Of course, you have to know all the details. But usually if it's close, they make it. Good luck, Derrius. Hit the books. Make sure you know the requirements, exactly and hopefully see you Spring '18.
Ps. Welcome Raheem! Glad you are a Hoosier! Best of luck.
I wouldn't be so sure that he didn't know what he needed. The problem these days is that core course requirements are stringent and often leave little room for students to find electives to pad their gpa. This is especially true of students who neglected academics as freshmen and sophomores and find themselves not only locked into retaking required courses, but also woefully ill-prepared to succeed in upperclass courses they are required to complete as juniors and seniors. Many times they need A's and B's in higher level core courses and they are just not capable because they failed to master the basics earlier.

There is also a tendency among some students (and even their parents) to remain convinced that they can "pull this out" at the last minute or that someone will find a way to make an exception for them. I experienced this firsthand with an IU baseball recruit who ultimately wound up in juco (which is exactly where he needed to go to get his academic life in order and develop some self-discipline). He knew exactly what he needed to do as a senior as did his parents. He just could not make himself flip the switch and work at the level he had to after 11 years of academic neglect. He lacked fundamental knowledge and study habits. In a not-very-friendly conversation with his father who suddenly was panicked that junior had to have an A or B in my class ( along with several others) his senior year I pointed out that had he paid half as much attention to his son's academic career as his baseball career the past four years, junior wouldn't have been in this predicament.

With today's educational requirements there is far less wiggle room for students to load up on easy electives to boost that gpa in their senior year. Often their fate is already sealed when it comes to university admission, particularly if they need drastic improvement that requires A's or B's in most courses.

Sometimes failure is the best way to learn important lessons. The young man I spoke of spent two years in junior college before transferring to IU. It was without a doubt in his best interests to do so. Had he barely scraped by and qualified for admission and eligibility at IU as a freshman I have no doubt he would have continued his academic negligence and flunked out of the university before ever playing a game.

Good luck to Derrius and I hope he joins the Hoosiers as soon as he is able to be successful in the classroom, whenever that might be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT