ADVERTISEMENT

KU & Duke 3pt Shooting

Middawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2020
Abysmal.

Both teams combined to go 6/40 from 3 in the game last night.

What's it say about cbb that two of the best paid rosters currently, and for the past 30+ years can't throw it in the ocean from deep?

I'm all for bombing away from 3 if you"ve got the shooters to do so, but disagree with the notion a team like IU needs to vastly increase 3pt volume to keep up with the idea of "modern basketball."

Abysmal.

What's it say about cbb that two of the best paid rosters currently, and for the past 30+ years can't throw it in the ocean from deep?

I'm all for bombing away from 3 if you"ve got the shooters to do so, but disagree with the notion a team like IU needs to vastly increase 3pt volume to keep up with the idea of "modern basketball."
Just get quality looks and then make the shot. I thought MSU did a great job of moving the ball around and being patient for getting a higher percentage and/or open look. Did not watch the KU / Duke game. Too late for me.

Woke up and watched the last 10 minutes very frenetic, physical game. Shots were rushed but alot were open looks. Kansas also only made like 56% ft

Abysmal.

I agree with this and is why I've been reluctant to say we need to shoot more 3s. First, we have to have the guys that can make more 3s! Kopp, I've always believed was one of those guys, and he's showing it this year in early games. But, he's really the only guy on our roster I think could be looked at as a knock down guy. After that Bates, JHS, XJ, JG and maybe TG and RT move into the class of guys I don't think you want taking 3s unless they're open, stepping in to them and confident. Even with improved shooting I think this roster will always be inside-out style and I'm more concerned about the % than the #, even if that's not the trend in modern bball. Show you can make them first before you start putting up more! The good news is that last game we did make them! Hope it continues!

Reactions: kmathum
Abysmal.

Defense is the key. KU always plays defense. Slow you down on the defensive side and speed you up on offense. They play the mid range game well too. 8-10 threes made wins a lot of games.

Abysmal.

Kansas wasn't good from 3 last year either. But they were very efficient overall. Making 3's just makes it easier to be efficient, but they're obviously not necessary to be good.

I think we have a team, and now a system, where we'll be able to make enough of them to be really good. But we aren't going to look like North Carolina did late in the year last year, with respect to bombing 3's from everywhere.

Abysmal.

it's all about the analytics...at least that's what I've been told for several yrs now. Result is some rather unenjoyable tv viewing of marginal shooters taking shots that would have seen their asses on the bench yrs ago. The game has 'evolved'....I'm old...whatever.

Kansas wasn't good from 3 last year either. But they were very efficient overall. Making 3's just makes it easier to be efficient, but they're obviously not necessary to be good.

I think we have a team, and now a system, where we'll be able to make enough of them to be really good. But we aren't going to look like North Carolina did late in the year last year, with respect to bombing 3's from everywhere.
side note- UNC hasn't looked like a powerhouse so far this year. Not sure they deserve to be anywhere near #1 at this point. That ranking was based on their late season surge last year.

Abysmal.

Offenses need to have credible threats from deep, of course. But shot selection is so important. I see so many players taking well-defended treys that aren't in the flow of well-executed offense.

And the whole idea of it really ought to be to open up more and better opportunities in the paint.

Not everybody is Steph Curry. But lots of guys seem to think they are.

That’s what they hang their hat on. They keep shooting regardless. Teams like KU doesn’t feature it. IU will look very similar to last years KU team. Imho. Oh and KU didn’t take many but they are efficient enough.

side note- UNC hasn't looked like a powerhouse so far this year. Not sure they deserve to be anywhere near #1 at this point. That ranking was based on their late season surge last year.
Their talent is unquestionable. My guess, mostly based on how they turned it on last year, is they're going to be a team that "shows up" against the top teams, and struggles to stay engaged against the lower teams. They'll lose some games they shouldn't, but they'll be a very difficult team against the Dukes, IUs, etc... on their schedule. And then will be good in the tourney again at the end of the year.

Losing Manek hurts them quite a bit. But they'll figure out how to be successful with Nance filling that void, at some point.

Reactions: IU FAN IN W. NC

This is the correct take. Kansas was an average 3 point shooting team last year but had a few guys that could step up and make a 3 when needed. Kansas was the best team in the country in transition last year and feasted on turning over their opponent and capitalizing on the other end. I think there are a lot of similarities between last years Kansas team and this years IU team.

Just get quality looks and then make the shot. I thought MSU did a great job of moving the ball around and being patient for getting a higher percentage and/or open look. Did not watch the KU / Duke game. Too late for me.
You might have noticed that Hauser stepped into long 2-pt shots because that’s how he caught the ball in rhythm. Count me among those who would rather see an in-rhythm 18-foot shot than an off-balanced 22-footer. And yes, I’d like the analytics proponents to get off my lawn.

If teams against IU want to jack a bunch of 3s and are making around 30% or less, I'm all for it if IU's rebounding is on point and the transition game continues to develop and excel.

X or JHS getting a quick outlet in open court from our bigs who begin the push with a board and 1 or 2 dribbles can be a thing of beauty in the transition game and help to push the quick tempo we should be seeing.

Reactions: kkott
You might have noticed that Hauser stepped into long 2-pt shots because that’s how he caught the ball in rhythm. Count me among those who would rather see an in-rhythm 18-foot shot than an off-balanced 22-footer. And yes, I’d like the analytics proponents to get off my lawn.
I think it's all about who's doing the shooting and what they are comfortable with. Especially with the shorter shot clocks, I want a guy taking a shot he's comfortable with and confident in making, whether it's a 2, 12 or 22 footer.

Ironically I heard the Hornet's coach on an interview and he said far and away the most efficient offensive possession in the NBA is one that ends with getting to the foul line. Wouldn't have thought that.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think it's all about who's doing the shooting and what they are comfortable with. Especially with the shorter shot clocks, I want a guy taking a shot he's comfortable with and confident in making, whether it's a 2, 12 or 22 footer.

Ironically I heard the Hornet's coach on an interview and he said far and away the most efficient offensive possession in the NBA is one that ends with getting to the foul line. Wouldn't have thought that.
Three point play or just FTs? Suppose that would depend on how well your team shoots FTs to a certain extent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT