ADVERTISEMENT

Kokomo’s Andrew Barker Commits to IU

His highlights at the Purdue camp look good; one particular catch was a circus catch. Looks to be very undervalued.

That being said, is Cignetti not targeting any of the state's top 20 recruits?

Did you think Cig was lying when he said he doesn't look at stars and relies on his and his staffs own evaluations?

Also, we had Burrus and Hall on campus this weekend for their officials, two highly touted kids in state.

I just find it odd that we seemingly lack a presence regarding Rivals top recruits in the state. The big TE who is I believe the 3rd ranked prospect in the state, has committed to Miami...Cignetti's offense would seem to be a major draw for a kid such as this??

If Cignetti can win consistently with below the radar recruits, he's a whale of a coach.

Class is currently #48 in the country with 2 kids that it appears has not been fully evaluated yet.
A top 50 class in his first full year on the job would be a pretty good class.
I’m not disagreeing with this post. The new factors are the rev share of at least $7.5M (importantly our athletic dept can afford it) and our improved NIL — two things we didn’t have historically. I’m hoping this gives us a competitive advantage vs many teams outside the B1G and SEC, and a few in those conferences. Hopefully we can make a leap vs our historical recruiting levels with our improved payroll for players.

And of course rankings aren’t everything, but they are a decent directional look or broad estimate of a recruiting class.

Last edited:
I just find it odd that we seemingly lack a presence regarding Rivals top recruits in the state. The big TE who is I believe the 3rd ranked prospect in the state, has committed to Miami...Cignetti's offense would seem to be a major draw for a kid such as this??

If Cignetti can win consistently with below the radar recruits, he's a whale of a coach.

I think people put way to much emphasis on getting in-state kids.

I could care less where he gets kids as long as he's getting kids that want to be here and can help us win. He's winning battles against SEC and ACC schools for kids in their own backyard.

I would argue we've done much better with the kids we get from the south then from who we've gotten in-state, even the highly ranked kids.

What battles has he won so far against the SEC schools? I see a few maybe. Most of our recruits have MAC/Sun Belt level offers.

Now, I do like our class and recruits. I just don't see us beating teams out for many higher rated (i.e. offered) kids. Which with what Cig says is a good NIL war chest and other support, is a bit concerning.

I really like Barker though! Get in on some of these guys early.

Welcome to the Hoosiers!

And the 'class' will probably change significantly by signing day, with 'commits' leaving us and other 'commits' leaving other schools and coming to us.

But, seems like that staff is getting early commits from under the radar guys, and I really like that approach. More likely to sign, and more stay a couple years I believe. They all look to have nice potential.

What battles has he won so far against the SEC schools? I see a few maybe. Most of our recruits have MAC/Sun Belt level offers.

Now, I do like our class and recruits. I just don't see us beating teams out for many higher rated (i.e. offered) kids. Which with what Cig says is a good NIL war chest and other support, is a bit concerning.

I really like Barker though! Get in on some of these guys early.

Welcome to the Hoosiers!

Smith - numerous offers from SEC and ACC schools, was committed to Pitt

Farmer - beat out Cincinnati, who had him in for an official visit

Hall - had numerous SEC and ACC offers

Cuono - had SEC, ACC and Big Ten offers

Bell - had offers from SEC and ACC, was committed to LSU at one time

Baldwin - numerous SEC and ACC offers

Thiry - offer from Texas Tech

Bonds - had offers from numerous ACC schools, West Virginia in the SEC and Maryland from the B1G

Reese - had offer from Arizona State

We have four kids that didn't have at least one P4 offer other then us, with two committing before camp season started.

We're winning some battles against legit teams.

I could care less where he gets kids as long as he's getting kids that want to be here and can help us win. He's winning battles against SEC and ACC schools for kids in their own backyard.

Indiana kids are going to be harder to get due to our (perceived?) status as a lousy football program. Kids outside the midwest aren't going to be nearly as familiar with us -- and our poor track record -- than kids who know all too well how bad we've been. If we can turn that around we'll do better in-state, but it will take time.

I would argue we've done much better with the kids we get from the south then from who we've gotten in-state, even the highly ranked kids.
I think this is mostly true but it’s also true that Indiana has produced quite a few really good players for the likes of ND, OSU etc that could have really helped us out.

Many if not most athletes would like to play close enough to home for family and friends to come to games. IU is the closest B1G school for many of these players so has an innate advantage at least in that regard.

Obviously we can’t get them all but just humor me. Take the last 5 years and add the top 5 players from Indiana. I guarantee you that CTA would still be the HBC.

Obviously we can’t get them all but just humor me. Take the last 5 years and add the top 5 players from Indiana. I guarantee you that CTA would still be the HBC.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. Looking over the list, there have been some kids that didn't make it and some that transferred out from who they committed to originally.

While I don’t disagree those in-state guys certainly could have helped IU, but even if IU had some 6-6, 7-5-type records the last few years, and again before ‘19, IU isn’t/wasn’t going to win in-state recruiting battles vs the likes of ND, UM and OSU. How ‘bout getting the guys we seemingly had decent shots with and lost to the likes of PU (Rondell Moore, David Bell), and the guys who’ve headed to Iowa, MSU and Louisville in recent years???

I agree Baller, I don’t care where they come from. That said we know CCC wants to focus a lot on recruiting effort on the surrounding region as he thinks that will help with retention…but that may be less important now in the Direct Compensation era as we’ll be at less of a $$ disadvantage than we used to be.

Did you think Cig was lying when he said he doesn't look at stars and relies on his and his staffs own evaluations?

Also, we had Burrus and Hall on campus this weekend for their officials, two highly touted kids in state.
No he wasn’t lying. We beat out Gardner Webb, and similar schools, so stars obviously don’t come into play. Hope he has a great career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT