ADVERTISEMENT

Killer Sequences

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
What sequence of events severely impacted the probability of IU beating Illinois? Here are my top 2.
  1. IU's 2 card carrying point guards fouled out. IU played the end of regulation time and all of overtime without a true point guard. This hole manifested itself in the unfocused, uncoordinated offense into which IU fell.
  2. Lander's lack of defense allowed Illinois to score 8 consecutive points late in the 2nd half. He gave up a barely contested 3 to Frazier, Illinois's bet shooter. Then he chose to guard Frazier loosely and gave up another 3. Finally Frazier missed a 3 but Lander fouled him, conceding 2 free throws.
I do give props to Trace and Race, the only 2 bigs suited up. They managed to play tough and not foul out.

What sequence of events severely impacted the probability of IU beating Illinois? Here are my top 2.
  1. IU's 2 card carrying point guards fouled out. IU played the end of regulation time and all of overtime without a true point guard. This hole manifested itself in the unfocused, uncoordinated offense into which IU fell.
  2. Lander's lack of defense allowed Illinois to score 8 consecutive points late in the 2nd half. He gave up a barely contested 3 to Frazier, Illinois's bet shooter. Then he chose to guard Frazier loosely and gave up another 3. Finally Frazier missed a 3 but Lander fouled him, conceding 2 free throws.
I do give props to Trace and Race, the only 2 bigs suited up. They managed to play tough and not foul out.
Those are a couple biggies and Lander's probably the most obvious because they were back to back to back, or nearly so. But: Race's FTs, TJD's wild shots, lane violation, failing to get to the FT line.. I really thought we got pretty favorable treatment from the refs and that game was sitting their waiting for us to take it and we couldn't do it.

Al Durham was a disaster last night. He hit some free throws to start the game but basically did nothing the rest of the way except turn it over.

When you play as hard as Illinois does sometimes the whistle should not go your way. I thought the game changer was Curbelo’s hatchet job on Race’s face that was conveniently overlooked by the refs and by the foolish announcers. End of regulation time I believe That was a flagrant 1 and we win.

Last edited:
Al Durham was a disaster last night. He hit some free throws to start the game but basically did nothing the rest of the way except turn it over.

Al's 3 pointers were just Fool's Gold.

I hold him more accountable for the loss than Lander. 2 crap passes, one which led to a fast break, when we had a 6 point lead. He can't handle the ball against real pressure. Never has. You can't trust his decision-making. Never will.

3. Us having NO TALENT

Reactions: OrlandoHoosier
Man. Those are tough choices. As bad as those three consecutive defensive possessions are for Lander / IU I do not think those alone were the reason for the loss. Therefore, I am going with #1. Zero fg’s by RP or AD from 16:23 time remaining in first half through OT. Zero. Our guards as much as lack of player development are the reason for this loss and the last 3.5 years of basketball. So 1. Definitely going with 1 here!

The biggest mistake Lander made was reclassifying . He should still be in HS enjoying his senior year , growing ,and getting stronger. I do however think he has improved from the beginning of the season , and is starting contribute . I made the comment back when he signed that we shouldn't get down on him as a player when he struggles , as he was young and the physical part of the game would be a big adjustment . Realize that as a star point guard in HS he probably was not expected to play much D as his coach needed him on the floor , and not in foul trouble . Now he has to play against bigger , older , and stronger players . I think he will continue to improve , and next year he will be a big contributor . Growing pains !!!

When you play as hard as Illinois does sometimes the whistle should not go your way. I thought the game changer was Curbelo’s hatchet job on Race’s face that was conveniently overlooked by the refs and by the foolish announcers. End of regulation time I believe That was a flagrant 1 and we win.
Yeah I caught that too. Dakich didn’t see it, he was too busy talking. Couldn’t tell if it was intentional but Curbelo thought it was funny. Race needs to remember that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT