ADVERTISEMENT

Kent Sterling article

The buyout is spread out over the length of the contract, which at this point would be about $1.5 mil per. That amount is offset by whatever job he takes after he were to leave IU. In short, it wouldn't be a whole lot. Now, please, for the love of gawd.....STOP ENABLING MEDIOCRITY.

It is offset IF he takes another job coaching. Ben Howland did not for several years when he could have, and UCLA was on the hook as a result. There is no rush to get another job, so IU will be on the hook.

No sir. By and large, mediocre the last 20 years. The Big Ten was awful post Knight through the Davis \ Sampson years, and we still didn't do very well. Absolutely awful conference. You can ignore that if you wish. Knight's last 6 years, not good.

In the last 20 years, we have made it to play in a game past the Sweet 16 three times. THREE

Davis 1 time
Crean 2 times
Knight 0 times
Sampson 0 times

That norm you talk about happened a lot more outside of the last 7 years than what you are stating. That is a fact.
Those 2 Sweet 16's were due to one player - Cody Zeller.

Tell me - just how many coaches have failed to get past the Sweet 16 with 2 of the top 4 picks of the NBA draft? All you need to know about IU under Crean. He's done less with more than any IU coach of the last 20 years. THAT is a fact.

Tell me - just how many coaches have failed to get past the Sweet 16 with 2 of the top 4 picks of the NBA draft? All you need to know about IU under Crean. He's done less with more than any IU coach of the last 20 years. THAT is a fact.

Who recruited that player to IU?

Your second sentence is an opinion, not a fact.

LSU had Shaq and won a total of one NCAA game in two years.

That's one player. And here I thought you could at least count to two. STOP ENABLING MEDIOCRITY.

Do the Celtics and the current universities/employers of all the coaches whose names keep being mentioned also get some sort of compensation if their coaches leave early?

If, how much approximately and who pays?
Since neither you or I (or anyone on here) has knowledge of the specifics of their contracts and any possible out clauses, who knows if that is even a hurdle? So you support Crean? Support his defensive strategies? Support the results he's produced with some of the best talent on any D1 roster?

My 2nd sentence was a QUESTION!!

LSU had another top 4 draft pick with Shaq?

Do you realize you're losing credibility with every post you make?

Last edited:
My 2nd sentence was a QUESTION!!

LSU had another top 4 draft pick with Shaq?

Do you realize you're losing credibility with every post you make?

The draft changes year by year. Some years drafts are good, some years they aren't. Plus, all it takes is one idiot GM to say a guy is a top 5 pick when 30 others wouldn't touch him for another 15 picks.

UCONN had four first round draft choices and couldn't make it to the Final Four. Bob Knight lost to Cleveland State, and Richmond, and a bunch of other scrubs. LSU can have Shaq and another first round draft choice and only win one NCAA game. Anything can happen in the NCAA tournament, that is what makes it great. Duke losing to Lehigh in the second round. Louisville losing to Morehead State. Austin Peay over Illinois, Penn over UNC, Vermont over Syracuse, Weber State over North Carolina, Kansas losing to VCU, Santa Clara over Arizona, Duke losing to Mercer and on and on.

You're losing credibility with every post if you can't acknowledge in the NCAA tournament crazy things happen all the time, to elite teams.

The draft changes year by year. Some years drafts are good, some years they aren't. Plus, all it takes is one idiot GM to say a guy is a top 5 pick when 30 others wouldn't touch him for another 15 picks.

UCONN had four first round draft choices and couldn't make it to the Final Four. Bob Knight lost to Cleveland State, and Richmond, and a bunch of other scrubs. LSU can have Shaq and another first round draft choice and only win one NCAA game. Anything can happen in the NCAA tournament, that is what makes it great. Duke losing to Lehigh in the second round. Louisville losing to Morehead State. Austin Peay over Illinois, Penn over UNC, Vermont over Syracuse, Weber State over North Carolina, Kansas losing to VCU, Santa Clara over Arizona, Duke losing to Mercer and on and on.

You're losing credibility with every post if you can't acknowledge in the NCAA tournament crazy things happen all the time, to elite teams.

I'll ask again: what coach has had 2 of the top four picks of the NBA draft and failed to get out of the Sweet 16?

UCONN had four first rounders in 2006 - but none in the top five. And as you yourself stated, "all it takes is one idiot GM".

BTW - while you're still looking for the "Who has lost with 2 of the top 4 picks", please inform us on which GM wouldn't have picked Cody Zeller for another 15 picks.

Please keep posting. You can't get quality entertainment like this for free anywhere else . . .

Issue with your argument is that those coaches won a title. Crean has not done that.....so he doesn't get the pass like a Coach K would for losing to Lehigh because CTC doesn't have the past success of a said Coach K.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Issue with your argument is that those coaches won a title. Crean has not done that.....so he doesn't get the pass like a Coach K would for losing to Lehigh because CTC doesn't have the past success of a said Coach K.
And he is just trying to deflect from answering the question.

It is offset IF he takes another job coaching. Ben Howland did not for several years when he could have, and UCLA was on the hook as a result. There is no rush to get another job, so IU will be on the hook.
From what I have read on other sites that the money is there for the buyout if or when Glass wants to use it.

1984 UNC had Micheal Jordan #3 Pick in his draft, Brad Daugherty #1 in his draft, Sam Perkins #5 in his draft, Kenny Smith top 10 in his draft and they lost in the sweet 16 and I am sure there are more than that but this is just off the top of my head.

1984 UNC had Micheal Jordan #3 Pick in his draft, Brad Daugherty #1 in his draft, Sam Perkins #5 in his draft, Kenny Smith top 10 in his draft and they lost in the sweet 16 and I am sure there are more than that but this is just off the top of my head.

That game is notable in that 1) it is considered one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history and 2) it showed the coaching brilliance of Bob Knight. That upset would never happen under today's rules, in all likelihood.

Ok, Scotty - who else? And let's be honest - a team with top talent like IU had in 2013 has never looked as overmatched as the Hoosiers did against the Syracuse zone.

That game is notable in that 1) it is considered one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history and 2) it showed the coaching brilliance of Bob Knight. That upset would never happen under today's rules, in all likelihood.

Ok, Scotty - who else? And let's be honest - a team with top talent like IU had in 2013 has never looked as overmatched as the Hoosiers did against the Syracuse zone.
There have been many upsets in the tournament in the first/second round of tournaments where one team had a lot more talent than the team that they lost to. UCLA/Princeton, Duke/Lehigh,Mercer, Indiana/Cleveland St,Richmond, Kansas/ N. Iowa and that is just off the top of my head and if you are a fan of the tournament you see big time upsets every year.

There have been many upsets in the tournament in the first/second round of tournaments where one team had a lot more talent than the team that they lost to. UCLA/Princeton, Duke/Lehigh,Mercer, Indiana/Cleveland St,Richmond, Kansas/ N. Iowa and that is just off the top of my head and if you are a fan of the tournament you see big time upsets every year.
Scotty, you named ONE team from 32 years ago that qualified - and it took a coaching genius and different rules for it to happen.

Again - which coach has had 2 of the top 4 picks in the NBA draft and lost in the Sweet 16? Just answer the question.

they were bad character kids and Holman did not finish his career and left Detroit early and Bassett got into trouble after leaving IU.
If you say so..Crawford was not even close to that.....and like you said After they left IU. IU program would have not been set back so far if he kept these guys. So like I said, CTC chose to put himself in the "Death Penalty"

If you say so..Crawford was not even close to that.....and like you said After they left IU. IU program would have not been set back so far if he kept these guys. So like I said, CTC chose to put himself in the "Death Penalty"
And again thank God he did and both Holman and Bassett were in trouble while at IU as well.

Scotty, you named ONE team from 32 years ago that qualified - and it took a coaching genius and different rules for it to happen.

Again - which coach has had 2 of the top 4 picks in the NBA draft and lost in the Sweet 16? Just answer the question.
How about Kansas in 1997 with 4 future NBA players who were beat in the sweet 16
Lafrentz a top 10 pick
Pierce a top 10 pick
Pollard first round pick
Vaughn a first round pick

Again there has been many teams upset in the tournament who should have never lost to the opponent they lost to. should Houston with two top 50 all time basketball players lose to NC St. in the championship game.

So has guys still on the IU roster....anyway you are missing the point.
I get you point that we gave ourselves the death penalty and I am glad that we started from scratch instead of having those type players on our team. Yes we have players the last few years that has gotten into trouble and got rid of most of them and I also said Crean should be fired for all the off the court problems.

How about Kansas in 1997 with 4 future NBA players who were beat in the sweet 16
Lafrentz a top 10 pick
Pierce a top 10 pick
Pollard first round pick
Vaughn a first round pick

Again there has been many teams upset in the tournament who should have never lost to the opponent they lost to. should Houston with two top 50 all time basketball players lose to NC St. in the championship game.

That team didn't have 2 picks in the top 4. And they lost a close game to the team that won it all - Arizona.

IU in 2013? It wasn't so much that they lost with Zeller/Oladipo as the WAY they lost - they looked lost, they were never in the game. In fact, that team played flat the end of that year instead of peaking. Upsets happen, but that was not an upset. It was an A$$ kicking.

Back to our question: in the history of the tournament, it's happened twice - the afore-mentioned 1984 UNC game and 2002, Duke (both times beaten by IU). And both group of players won titles (Jordan/Perkins in 1982; Williams/Dunleavy in 2001). The best Zeller / Oladipo got? Sweet 16 rings . . .

Reactions: hoosierdug

So, they won a title. Even less excuse for them to lose to teams like that. You are proving my point. Losses in the tournament can happen to great teams and it happens seemingly every year. You can give a pass all you want, but a team with a national title head coach has even LESS room to be losing to those teams.

So, they won a title. Even less excuse for them to lose to teams like that. You are proving my point. Losses in the tournament can happen to great teams and it happens seemingly every year. You can give a pass all you want, but a team with a national title head coach has even LESS room to be losing to those teams.
disagree....point is they have a coach that CAN win. Our coach has never proven to be a consistent winner.

I don't have issue with cutting those guys loose. I have issues with cutting guys like them loose and THEN keeping the Yogi's / Hanners / Davis . . .

Crean is responsible for the culture of the program. When a walk-on (Johnny Marlin) transfers because the culture is so toxic and you lose a big man 1/2 way thru his freshman year (Fischer) because his roomie is smoking weed, how can you defend it?

Reactions: hoosierdug

Crean was instructed to do so. Furthermore, Crean tried to keep Crawford, but Crawford and his mom thought NCAA sanctions would cripple the program plus the misfits were exiled and he didn't want to be in a rebuild.

For whatever reason you chose not to include those facts.

disagree....point is they have a coach that CAN win. Our coach has never proven to be a consistent winner.

Please explain to me how a coach at the level of Coach K can lose two out of three years in the first weekend as a top 3 seed if not for the fact that this stuff happens in the NCAA tournament. Lute Olsen, Bill Self, they have all done it. With the talent they have and their coaching chops, it shouldn't happen. But as usual, you have two different standards.

Crean was instructed to do so. Furthermore, Crean tried to keep Crawford, but Crawford and his mom thought NCAA sanctions would cripple the program plus the misfits were exiled and he didn't want to be in a rebuild.

For whatever reason you chose not to include those facts.
You sure you are not on here just to defend CTC? You say you don't care if he is fired but It is obvious you do.

You sure you are not on here just to defend CTC? You say you don't care if he is fired but It is obvious you do.

I deal with facts. You deal with nothing but opinions. You're like a ND fan that went to a directional school. At least that's how it feels to me. Seen plenty of those in my lifetime. Then you attack when presented with the facts. Crean tried to keep Crawford, despite your comments to the contrary. When presented with these facts, you fall back into attacking the poster for exposing you with those facts.

You REALLY have to quit bringing up RMK. Seriously. When he lost to Cleveland St he already had 2 NCs and a gold medal. Just stop. Are you really so far gone that you can't see that Crean would be given A LOT more rope if he had accomplished even a fraction of what Knight did? "Crazy things" do happen all the time but consistently poor coaching and a lack of accountability, well, it is what it is. STOP ENABLING MEDIOCRITY!

Last edited:
I deal with facts. You deal with nothing but opinions. You're like a ND fan that went to a directional school. At least that's how it feels to me. Seen plenty of those in my lifetime. Then you attack when presented with the facts. Crean tried to keep Crawford, despite your comments to the contrary. When presented with these facts, you fall back into attacking the poster for exposing you with those facts.
How do I know this is fact? because you say so? Also it is fact that he has a terrible BIG record, it is fact that his teams play zero defense, it is fact his teams fade at the end of the season. It is fact that his roster management has been very poor. Shall I go on Fred?

This statement means you're a Purdue fan. Because I know.

Update:

Last 20 years, Four Sweet 16's.

Knight 0
Davis 1
Sampson \ Dakich 0
Crean 3
Knight's record his first 8 years. 5 B1G championships, 2 FFs and one undefeated NC. Also going undefeated in B1G play for 2 1/2 year and only one loss overall in 2 full seasons. I'm glad you put so much stock in Sweet 16s. You really ought to be a Purdue fan.

Reactions: hgdownunder
Knight's record his first 8 years. 5 B1G championships, 2 FFs and one undefeated NC. Also going undefeated in B1G play for 2 1/2 year and only one loss overall in 2 full seasons. I'm glad you put so much stock in Sweet 16s. You really ought to be a Purdue fan.

Knight's first 8 years were in the 1970's. 40+ years ago. You know what else happened in the 1970's? Jimmy Carter, Iran hostages, gas lines, disco, Vietnam war, Bruce Jenner was Bruce Jenner, etc

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Can't we just enjoy this team's success without trying to justify Crean's existence? It's like you are trying to stir the anti-Crean sentiment back out of ppl. 3 Sweet 16s? Oh boy, can we have another, please?? Pretty please?

I'm guessing you're like 19-22 yrs old. No offense.

Reactions: bsmitty08
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT