ADVERTISEMENT

Keep in mind the NCAA is likely going to add a 10th assistant FB coach

Fro

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
We will have to replace Frey and we will have an opening for another coach beyond that.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ach-gains-support-of-ncaa-division-1-council/

NBC Sports said:
The NCAA’s Board of Directors is expected to approve a proposal that will allow college football programs to add a 10th assistant to the coaching staff. The proposal has received the support of the Division 1 Council in this week’s NCAA meetings, which was to be expected. There appears to be nothing else to stand in the way of passing the proposal and expanding the coaching staff at football programs across the country.

We will have to replace Frey and we will have an opening for another coach beyond that.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ach-gains-support-of-ncaa-division-1-council/

While I think this is likely to happen, hopefully rationale heads will delay to the end of next season as implementing this in April would create chaos. This is 128 new FBS positions, 65 of which are at power 5 schools. Undoubtedly elite schools would come try to poach some our position coaches or at other lower P5 schools (meaning more than just 2 openings for us) which means we will likely to poach need to poach multiple assistants from MAC schools. Many MAC and other smaller schools could conceivable lose half their assistants AFTER spring practice, with some smaller schools potentially even losing their head coaches.

While I think this is likely to happen, hopefully rationale heads will delay to the end of next season as implementing this in April would create chaos. This is 128 new FBS positions, 65 of which are at power 5 schools. Undoubtedly elite schools would come try to poach some our position coaches or at other lower P5 schools (meaning more than just 2 openings for us) which means we will likely to poach need to poach multiple assistants from MAC schools. Many MAC and other smaller schools could conceivable lose half their assistants AFTER spring practice, with some smaller schools potentially even losing their head coaches.
I'm with you that April implementation could create chaos. After this season seems most sensible.

most schools are just going to promote from within . some analyst on staff will get promoted. a website asked about this an found most schools told them they would promote from within

Our 10th assistant will be a special teams coach.
That seems like a reasonable choice. It is a demanding, ultra-critical job to be responsible for all aspects of special teams. Do we have someone now employed who could be moved into that role? I mean someone not among our nine current assistants.

NBC Sports said:
The NCAA’s Board of Directors is expected to approve a proposal that will allow college football programs to add a 10th assistant to the coaching staff. The proposal has received the support of the Division 1 Council in this week’s NCAA meetings, which was to be expected. There appears to be nothing else to stand in the way of passing the proposal and expanding the coaching staff at football programs across the country.
Really hurts the teams with modest budgets.

Yep. I wish there was a cost-of-living adjusted salary structure for coaching staffs.

most schools are just going to promote from within . some analyst on staff will get promoted. a website asked about this an found most schools told them they would promote from within

to what extent have big 5 level schools promoted from within in the recent past? (say last 5-10 yrs)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT