ADVERTISEMENT

Katic and Smith expect to improve in Bosted’s 2nd year

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Many believe OL improvement is key to keeping IU’s QBs upright.

With IU's whirlwind offseason and roster movement finally subsiding — including three transfer offensive linemen, four incoming freshman offensive lineman and nine offensive line returners — Bostad is back to work this fall camp, attempting his latest crucial step in turning around IU's blocking unit.

The Hoosiers starting offensive line is certain to look much different than last season, but this isn't Bostad's first rodeo with personnel changes and significant transition. He's found himself in similar situations before, and almost every time he's found success on the other side.

There isn't much the 57-year-old Bostad hasn't experienced in his 34 years of coaching, and he doesn't intend for year two at Indiana to be any different.

"I would say he hasn't changed at all, honestly," Smith said. "We've kept the same coaching points as we did last year, and obviously we saw a good, steady growth from last year from 2022 with him coming on to the staff. So he's kept all the same coaching points, regardless of what the plays are, so we're still going up."

Added Katic: "I think what's so great about him is he prepares us in the meeting room and on the field so much during the week and after practice, and then on game day he's cool. He doesn't talk much but [makes] corrections, and he kind of lets us just do our own thing. And I think that's what I like a lot about him, because he knows he's prepared his guys.
With IU's whirlwind offseason and roster movement finally subsiding — including three transfer offensive linemen, four incoming freshman offensive lineman and nine offensive line returners — Bostad is back to work this fall camp, attempting his latest crucial step in turning around IU's blocking unit.

The Hoosiers starting offensive line is certain to look much different than last season, but this isn't Bostad's first rodeo with personnel changes and significant transition. He's found himself in similar situations before, and almost every time he's found success on the other side.

There isn't much the 57-year-old Bostad hasn't experienced in his 34 years of coaching, and he doesn't intend for year two at Indiana to be any different.

"I would say he hasn't changed at all, honestly," Smith said. "We've kept the same coaching points as we did last year, and obviously we saw a good, steady growth from last year from 2022 with him coming on to the staff. So he's kept all the same coaching points, regardless of what the plays are, so we're still going up."

Added Katic: "I think what's so great about him is he prepares us in the meeting room and on the field so much during the week and after practice, and then on game day he's cool. He doesn't talk much but [makes] corrections, and he kind of lets us just do our own thing. And I think that's what I like a lot about him, because he knows he's prepared his guys.

https://247sports.com/college/india...cts-keeping-bostad-was-huge-for-me-234657762/

Of course they are going to improve. Everybody is going to improve. Everybody at every school is going to improve. As Al McGuire said, the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores,

Every year there seems to be an assumption that all other teams are going to stay the same in talent and ability. We will find out about the team by the time they play UCLA. I am not giving CCC any credit until he actually accomplishes something. But right now all he can do is talk and he is doing a damn good job.

Of course they are going to improve. Everybody is going to improve. Everybody at every school is going to improve. As Al McGuire said, the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores,

Every year there seems to be an assumption that all other teams are going to stay the same in talent and ability. We will find out about the team by the time they play UCLA. I am not giving CCC any credit until he actually accomplishes something. But right now all he can do is talk and he is doing a damn good job.
No. Every year some schools improve (at different rates), some don’t improve, and some get worse.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT