ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched Butler...

Would love to see Holtmann at IU. Team is tough and disciplined. The Butler way needs to turn into the Hoosier way period!

Would love to see Holtmann at IU. Team is tough and disciplined. The Butler way needs to turn into the Hoosier way period!
I agree. We can't wait around forever for stevens or some other big name who may or may not come. I think he would do well at iu oh and he won't be at butler long imo.

I like Holtmann a lot. Young but experienced, strong ties to Indiana, and a very good recruiter.

When he took over Butler, they were coming off a pretty bad year in 2013-14 including losing 15 of their last 19 games under Brandon Miller. The next year, he took over a tough situation after being named coach in October and lead that team to the a win over UNC in November, and eventually to the second round of the tourney where they almost beat a 3-seeded Notre Dame in OT.

Tis year he is still without a superstar. Kelan Martin is a good player who destroyed IU in their game, but he is only averaging 15 a game and shooting a mere 40% from the field. After that they really don't have anyone except a bunch of role players, but they play defense and they are mentally strong.

Most of all, he is realistic, unlike Donovan or Stevens.

Reactions: bailey777
Hire Holtmann and bring smart, tough, high IQ, fundamental, team basketball back to IU!

No, it doesn't.

Why? Because it always had been. We just need to go back to what we were.
I agree. I don't know how someone that coined the phrase "It's Indiana" would miss so much about what it means to be Indiana. It isn't just winning but it is playing intelligent ball with kids that grow up wanting to be part of Indiana.

Watching Indiana this year has been more than frustrating. Good teams talk about playing to their potential and getting the most out of every kid. It is hard to watch the way we play and feel like we are maximizing any of our talents. Time to do more than make a coaching change. It is time to recapture our identity and I'm not talking about motion offense stuff. We need kids with high basketball IQ that play hard every possession...the Indiana way.

I agree. I don't know how someone that coined the phrase "It's Indiana" would miss so much about what it means to be Indiana. It isn't just winning but it is playing intelligent ball with kids that grow up wanting to be part of Indiana.

Watching Indiana this year has been more than frustrating. Good teams talk about playing to their potential and getting the most out of every kid. It is hard to watch the way we play and feel like we are maximizing any of our talents. Time to do more than make a coaching change. It is time to recapture our identity and I'm not talking about motion offense stuff. We need kids with high basketball IQ that play hard every possession...the Indiana way.
My thinking if we are not going to win a championship I would rather watch a team that plays smart and plays great defense.

Reactions: HookHoops
Butler plays like IU used to play.
If you can't beat them.
Hire their coach and his winning system!

Last edited:
No, it doesn't.

Why? Because it always had been. We just need to go back to what we were.

I agree that the Hoosiers have gotten away from what they once were but there's no denying IU has taken a back seat to Butler this past decade when it comes to fundamentally sound, high IQ, tough nosed team basketball. It's tough to swallow. If IU needs to take their identity back, who better than a coach who identifies with the same basketball philosophy we yearn for as fans and who already has solid support in state. He's my choice if a vacancy opens up.

beat Villanova at 'Nova. What I wouldn't give to have a team at IU that played the way Butler plays. God I miss good basketball. At least I will be able to root for the Dawgs in the NCAAT.
Tough lockdown defense: if they turn it over, they don't panic but go back to what they do best. They hit their free throws. They have disciplined guard play. Mighty in the paint. Crisp passing. After watching IU fumble away that game against Iowa, Butler's win was inspirational. A true team, not a false enigma.

There were 2-3 posters on this board on October and November, who follow both IU and Butler, who had really negative things to say about Holtmann. Anybody recall the downside?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT