ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Mercer

Palmbeachhoosier

All-Big Ten
Aug 13, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
Anyone else love to listen Jeff Mercer do interviews? You can can tell he loves the game of baseball and is a true student of the game. He always says good things about his staff. He is always very enthusiastic about his players even when they were struggling early he always had good things to say about them. I believe in Jeff Mercer. I hope he has much success and that we are able to keep him for a very long time.

Reactions: RBB89
Anyone else love to listen Jeff Mercer do interviews? You can can tell he loves the game of baseball and is a true student of the game. He always says good things about his staff. He is always very enthusiastic about his players even when they were struggling early he always had good things to say about them. I believe in Jeff Mercer. I hope he has much success and that we are able to keep him for a very long time.
There is zero doubt in my mind the guy knows what he's doing. Optimistic, encouraging, sharp, astute, and well-spoken. I see no reason whatsoever we should ever have to worry about him going anywhere. He's said over and over and over this is his dream job.

Reactions: ulrey
There is zero doubt in my mind the guy knows what he's doing. Optimistic, encouraging, sharp, astute, and well-spoken. I see no reason whatsoever we should ever have to worry about him going anywhere. He's said over and over and over this is his dream job.
Lol, dream job or not, if he continues success at IU other teams will come after him. Just like they did Skip, and just like they did Lem.

Lol, dream job or not, if he continues success at IU other teams will come after him. Just like they did Skip, and just like they did Lem.
Yep and that is what I am worried about. I also love the job Justin Parker is doing with the pitching staff. Right now we have four very solid starters hope we can get a couple more relievers develop it looks like Manous is starting to come around.

So either he's liar or Fred is too damn cheap to learn from his last two bolts. Which is it?

So either he's liar or Fred is too damn cheap to learn from his last two bolts. Which is it?
I’d say the latter is the most likely. What would you do if you were staring down the barrel at 7 figures per year at a national power program at the height of your chosen profession. Look, IU is his dream job right now, what happens if someone calls and that changes? At the end of the day he has a family to grow and take care of, and I NEVER fault a man for taking care of his family.

I’d say the latter is the most likely. What would you do if you were staring down the barrel at 7 figures per year at a national power program at the height of your chosen profession. Look, IU is his dream job right now, what happens if someone calls and that changes? At the end of the day he has a family to grow and take care of, and I NEVER fault a man for taking care of his family.
I hope he does so well we find out. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
I thought I read or somewhere that Tracy Smith actually took a pay cut to go to ASU. I do hope Coach Mercer has the kind of success that I believe he is capable of having. He is definitely a baseball guy thru and thru.

I thought I read or somewhere that Tracy Smith actually took a pay cut to go to ASU. I do hope Coach Mercer has the kind of success that I believe he is capable of having. He is definitely a baseball guy thru and thru.
I think that was Fred-speak. Not sure I bought it then or now. Seemed he was trying to cover his backside. But the real difference was I never once heard TS declare this was his dream job. His replacement didn’t either.

Last edited:
Skip had less in base pay initially at ASU than he was making his last year at IU, but he got significant assist pool money and more money off camps and yearly base pay increases at ASU.

No offense, but I HATE when people bring that up. I found a listing somewhere of IU's coaches' salaries, and it says he is making $225K. He can't take care of his family on that? It has to be a million, or more? Sorry, but I'm working 3 jobs and about 65 hours per week, and I'm not even close to 6 figures and I take care of my family just fine. Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't jump at a salary 4 times that if I were him, but the reason would NOT be because my family really needs it.

Reactions: mk23
No offense, but I HATE when people bring that up. I found a listing somewhere of IU's coaches' salaries, and it says he is making $225K. He can't take care of his family on that? It has to be a million, or more? Sorry, but I'm working 3 jobs and about 65 hours per week, and I'm not even close to 6 figures and I take care of my family just fine. Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't jump at a salary 4 times that if I were him, but the reason would NOT be because my family really needs it.

Yeah, but you can set your family up with generational money. You can take care of them not just in the here and now, but for a generation or two past you, if you make enough and invest it wisely.

Reactions: mk23 and hatchetdad
That’s a very shortsighted view of things. Everyone’s personal economy is quite different, and wide varying.

Maybe someone has a mother and father that needs 24/7 care and the parents can’t afford long term care. Maybe they have kids in college that they don’t want to have student loan debt. Maybe, as Kraft alluded to, they want to have money around in case something unfortunate happens to them that their family doesn’t have to worry about money. This list could go on.

Everyone’s situation and view is different, but these are very factual circumstances that anyone can have.

An FYI, 225k is much less than what the previous 2 coaches were paid yearly, and not even close to what the head coaching market of bigger name coaches was at when this position was open. If Mercer continues to have success, he’s going to have to get paid to stay bottom line.

I hope the administration enjoys baseball success and values it. I personally like having a successful baseball program. IU has earned major respect in SEC country. I live in Mobile and guys from Ole Miss and Auburn have been complimenting me on the IU boys and the top 25 ranking.
Don't be cheap on baseball Fred.
Go Hoosiers!

I hope the administration enjoys baseball success and values it. I personally like having a successful baseball program. IU has earned major respect in SEC country. I live in Mobile and guys from Ole Miss and Auburn have been complimenting me on the IU boys and the top 25 ranking.
Don't be cheap on baseball Fred.
Go Hoosiers!

Perhaps a look back to the report announcing Coach Mercer’s hiring can add some needed perspective to this thread. https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ille-native-jeff-mercer-head-coach/753281002/

Reactions: mobilehoosier
[
That’s a very shortsighted view of things. Everyone’s personal economy is quite different, and wide varying.

Maybe someone has a mother and father that needs 24/7 care and the parents can’t afford long term care. Maybe they have kids in college that they don’t want to have student loan debt. Maybe, as Kraft alluded to, they want to have money around in case something unfortunate happens to them that their family doesn’t have to worry about money. This list could go on.

Everyone’s situation and view is different, but these are very factual circumstances that anyone can have.

An FYI, 225k is much less than what the previous 2 coaches were paid yearly, and not even close to what the head coaching market of bigger name coaches was at when this position was open. If Mercer continues to have success, he’s going to have to get paid to stay bottom line.

Sorry....not buying what you are selling. Obviously it looks like I'm in the minority, but idc. It will always be a pet peeve of mine. People living in huge houses, saying they "have to take care of their family" to go move into a mansion. Yes, there are many circumstances where by some fluke, $225K can't cover it. But 99% of the time, it would.

And the FYI in your last paragraph has nothing to do with my comment. I never meant to argue he should NOT get more money. He should get more money. If he has the success our past 2 coaches have had, I want them to pay up to keep him here.

Reactions: mk23
If he cant beat Illinois, I'm not sure why we're worried about him leaving

Greg Murray said that this is Mercer’s first ever conference series loss. That is incredible. Let’s also hope it is his last for a very long time. Nice job by Saalfrank today and nice to see the offense back eventhough it was against a Sunday starter.

Reactions: muubell
Greg Murray said that this is Mercer’s first ever conference series loss. That is incredible. Let’s also hope it is his last for a very long time. Nice job by Saalfrank today and nice to see the offense back eventhough it was against a Sunday starter.
Palm Beach. Enjoy your posts. I have a son who is a high school pitcher. (Sophomore) I was thinking about your statement: "Nice job by Saalfrank today and nice to see the offense back even though it was against a Sunday starter." While Sunday starters are not normally the ace of the squad I also thought about how good a kid has to be to be a Sunday D1 pitcher on any team. I'd love for my son to be a Sunday starter. Huge Grin!
Go Hoosiers!

Palm Beach. Enjoy your posts. I have a son who is a high school pitcher. (Sophomore) I was thinking about your statement: "Nice job by Saalfrank today and nice to see the offense back even though it was against a Sunday starter." While Sunday starters are not normally the ace of the squad I also thought about how good a kid has to be to be a Sunday D1 pitcher on any team. I'd love for my son to be a Sunday starter. Huge Grin!
Go Hoosiers!

Don’t feel bad for Andrew, he’ll be drafted this year. Likely to be the first of our pitchers called. Think we may have a major rebuild for next year with weekend starters gone plus Fineman, Gorski, & Lloyd, maybe Bradley.

Don’t feel bad for Andrew, he’ll be drafted this year. Likely to be the first of our pitchers called. Think we may have a major rebuild for next year with weekend starters gone plus Fineman, Gorski, & Lloyd, maybe Bradley.
Agree. Hope we catch fire starting w U K tomorrow. I think we’ll be green next year but with young talent. Plenty of kids from juco that may help.

Go Hoosiers!
I did not mean to badmouth the Illini Sunday starter. I agree if you are a Division 1 weekend or week day starter for that much you are really good. The Friday and Saturday starters were really good. So is your son a lefty or righty? How is stuff? Wish him luck. Maybe you can send him to Atlantic for junior and senior year. We have a kid that was here for his freshman thru junior year then transfers to private school. I did not like him much but Vandy does he was a mid week starter as a true freshman. He is struggling a little this year though. But hey we have ave a final 4 and a couple of final 8 appearances in the last few years.

We do have solid guys coming back next and maybe Kaletha can maybe appeal for extra year if not satisfied with his draft status. Hopefully Walker and Houston can become as effective on offense as they are on defense. Barr can continue to get stronger. Skrir, Crail, Dunham, Richardson will be a year more mature. Yes it is not Gorski, Lloyd and Fineman but it is guys that can play.

Reactions: 82IU
I did not mean to badmouth the Illini Sunday starter. I agree if you are a Division 1 weekend or week day starter for that much you are really good. The Friday and Saturday starters were really good. So is your son a lefty or righty? How is stuff? Wish him luck. Maybe you can send him to Atlantic for junior and senior year. We have a kid that was here for his freshman thru junior year then transfers to private school. I did not like him much but Vandy does he was a mid week starter as a true freshman. He is struggling a little this year though. But hey we have ave a final 4 and a couple of final 8 appearances in the last few years.
Right handed. Still growing. 16 years old. Size 13 shoe. Last outing 4 shut out innings with an 11 pitch 4th w 3 K’s. Two best pitches are two seam , which runs in pretty well and a truly nasty curve. Working to improve change. Ok proud dad. Huge grin!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT