ADVERTISEMENT

James Madison Bowl

On the plus side, I did finally see #74 maul one guy. So maybe he was bumping his own QB with his butt so many times because he just didn't have the lateral quickness (saw him get beat fast a few times...) so he had to back up fast to pass protect.

#99 did look OK. Sarratt is the real deal or at least big ten level.

I didn't watch the game but I see Fisher had something like 17 total tackles with 12 being solo. Just trying to square those stats with observations that he isn't good. Were other parts of his game the problem?

Seriously? He was credited with 17 tackles!.... I watched the game and I'm shocked to see he was credited with being in on 17 let alone 12 solos... To me he did a lot of falling on the pile or being at the bottom of the pile simply because the runner and guy doing the tackling fell on top of him.... I don't know who kept the game stats but they weren't watching the same game I watched... I was surprised how easily he was blocked out of plays that were run to his side... Not B1G caliber...

What did he bumble? Tuttle was our QB and found out later he had a shoulder (?) injury. It was obvious he wasn't close to being at full strength. Not everyone was outraged, as you claim.
Everyone I know (not on this board) was outraged. Outraged is probably too strong of a descriptive word for what we felt...more like "what-the-****"ness. First time the chinks in the armor were plain as day.

I mostly watched Fisher over other defensive guys. I didn't see him as soft, I just saw a guy doing nothing, except mouthing off to every AF player he got blocked by. He didn't even try to make a play on some I watched. But yeah, I saw him come out of some piles, so I clearly missed nearly all of his tackles. I saw a couple.

I thought he was so far from a Big 10 linebacker I'll be really dismayed if he's a recruit. But, like I said, apparently there's bunch I missed. He's their starter, had decent stats, so I must be way off.
If he is brought, it should cast a discerning eye on the others not seen.

Hard to judge a guy based on one game. Especially when you essentially have an entirely new coaching staff together for like 3 weeks giving signals and calling the game. I wasn’t that impressed with Fishers play. I actually fell asleep watching the game. He was by far the leading tackler on an 11-1 team heading into the game though. The defense clearly didn’t play up to the same standard they had all year. I think the biggest asset the experienced JMU players bring is their attitude and culture under Cignetti’s leadership. If they are pushing guys on our roster to meet or exceed their potential and helping teach the system to other players they are of value even if their role on game day is to provide depth. I wasn’t excited about any JMU players coming when others were before the game, but I try to always see things from a glass half full perspective. If Cignetti brings any of those guys in I trust he knows what he is doing. He has a better gauge on their ability than we do watching one game. All the matters is what happens in September.

I mostly watched Fisher over other defensive guys. I didn't see him as soft, I just saw a guy doing nothing, except mouthing off to every AF player he got blocked by. He didn't even try to make a play on some I watched. But yeah, I saw him come out of some piles, so I clearly missed nearly all of his tackles. I saw a couple.

I thought he was so far from a Big 10 linebacker I'll be really dismayed if he's a recruit. But, like I said, apparently there's bunch I missed. He's their starter, had decent stats, so I must be way off.
No you're not way off... He'd get waxed in the Big Ten...

He was getting pushed 7 to 8 yards down the field by a solo G on nearly every other play... Was rarely getting off his blocks... His solos had to be after they'd already gained 8 yards... I only recall him actually meeting a RB in the hole twice in the entire game...

They ran inside a lot so he probably got a lot of assists just by tripping over the guy... I have a feeling that he probably got credit for several of #1's tackles too... (he's #11)

The guy looked to me like he was just going through the motions... Maybe he's a lot better than what he showed tonight, or maybe he was injured but if that's not the case, he has no business attempting to play in the Big Ten. He'd be a total waste of a scholarship, in my opinion...
Not defending JMU players, but their motivation has to be about zero right now.

AF is in range for a chip shot and announcer informs me it's "well within" their kickers range. He runs out and stats show he has hit from 50 lol.
Most announcers and which includes all 2nd level announcers are suits, faces, voices and no gray matter to be a resource or support.

Last edited:
He was getting pushed 7 to 8 yards down the field by a solo G on nearly every other play... Was rarely getting off his blocks... His solos had to be after they'd already gained 8 yards... I only recall him actually meeting a RB in the hole twice in the entire game...

They ran inside a lot so he probably got a lot of assists just by tripping over the guy... I have a feeling that he probably got credit for several of #1's tackles too... (he's #11)

The guy looked to me like he was just going through the motions... Maybe he's a lot better than what he showed tonight, or maybe he was injured but if that's not the case, he has no business attempting to play in the Big Ten. He'd be a total waste of a scholarship, in my opinion...
I might be willing to give him a little leeway only because the blocking scheme of the option is designed to do exactly what he only marginally dealt with successfully. Damn hard to prepare for in roughly 2-3 weeks and shine against an option offense in their DNA.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
I might be willing to give him a little leeway only because the blocking scheme of the option is designed to do exactly what he only marginally dealt with successfully. Damn hard to prepare for in roughly 2-3 weeks and shine against with an option offense in their DNA.
That's true but the surprising element of it was that JMU rarely stopped the 1st option: the Fullback dive... The problem I have with him is that he was getting blown back on a lot of isolation stuff right over the Guard...

He really didn't appear to be making much of an effort to me...

It wasn't like he was just out of position, he was dancing with a Guard 7 yards downfield most of the night and not getting off the block until well after the play was all but over...

Hard to judge a guy based on one game. Especially when you essentially have an entirely new coaching staff together for like 3 weeks giving signals and calling the game. I wasn’t that impressed with Fishers play. I actually fell asleep watching the game. He was by far the leading tackler on an 11-1 team heading into the game though. The defense clearly didn’t play up to the same standard they had all year. I think the biggest asset the experienced JMU players bring is their attitude and culture under Cignetti’s leadership. If they are pushing guys on our roster to meet or exceed their potential and helping teach the system to other players they are of value even if their role on game day is to provide depth. I wasn’t excited about any JMU players coming when others were before the game, but I try to always see things from a glass half full perspective. If Cignetti brings any of those guys in I trust he knows what he is doing. He has a better gauge on their ability than we do watching one game. All the matters is what happens in September.
You said a mouthful. My hope is those JMU players in C&C can offer up IUFB ST's units that are weapons instead of the weakness they've been for several years.

Reactions: red hornet
Hard to evaluate JMU play today. Have to believe that any coming our way might not have been fully engaged. Plus playing an option team with very little prep time with interim coaches isn’t helping.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Fisher. Didn’t really see anything special with his play. I liked their receiver. Guess we wait and see.

Hard to evaluate JMU play today. Have to believe that any coming our way might not have been fully engaged. Plus playing an option team with very little prep time with interim coaches isn’t helping.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Fisher. Didn’t really see anything special with his play. I liked their receiver. Guess we wait and see.
Remember the Hoosiers playing Navy with their option offense under Wilson? Navy never punted the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT