ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Haralson 'Crystal Ball' to IU

Haralson, Mullins, Sisley, and then fill it out with Portal kids...that'd be incredible.
Go ahead and throw Moreno in there too! I think you could feed him a lot of minutes, but split time at the 5, if 1) Reanu returns, or 2) you take another portal 5. Don't even need someone at Ballo's level, but a serviceable experienced big.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Go ahead and throw Moreno in there too! I think you could feed him a lot of minutes, but split time at the 5, if 1) Reanu returns, or 2) you take another portal 5. Don't even need someone at Ballo's level, but a serviceable experienced big.
Obviously would love to get Moreno too...

My completely uninformed, and unqualified "guess" on him is that he might end up being a better value to his "2nd school" though. He ate up smaller teams in the games I saw him play, but when faced with any sort of size and strength inside, he quickly became quite a lot less effective. I could see him struggling early in college...and that presents a very different set of dynamics nowadays, for someone like him, than it used to.

I think with Woody's track record, spending a little more money and bringing in proven college centers might be a better investment.

But having said all this, I'll be very, very excited if he ends up choosing IU. The size and raw abilities are elite.

Not one but 2…..

The headline was exciting but then you read the article….”If pressed” one of them picks IU with 25% certainty while the other picks at 35%. Better than nothing but not exactly a torrent of strong conviction predictions the night before an announcement. He would be a great “get”.

Let’s face it. They DO NOT know. I think the player does not know. It’s still just a guess.
Of course they don't KNOW...

We are getting down to where we'll start to see more 2025 commitments though, I would think. Their AAU seasons are now largely over. Some of them will have some stuff yet this summer and early fall, but must most of them will be transitioning back to "school/academy" ball, and focusing more closely on their college choice.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Haralson commit soon, to someone. He's been on everyone's radar for years now...unlike someone like Mullins, who blew up fairly recently. I personally wouldn't advise Haralson to commit, probably not until next spring even...I'd hold out and see if a high major team on his list ends up having an increased need when the portal shakes out. I doubt IU would "back off" on recruiting him, and/or lower his NIL package if he waited, as an example.

But obviously there's something to be said for getting the decision done, and focusing on other things.

Let’s face it. They DO NOT know. I think the player does not know. It’s still just a guess.
Tipton is one of the only ones I’d pay attention too. Kids communicate with him directly to do edits and he has a ton of inside knowledge. I would bet he even asked the kid if he could make a prediction.

Reactions: Seyton
Of course they don't KNOW...

We are getting down to where we'll start to see more 2025 commitments though, I would think. Their AAU seasons are now largely over. Some of them will have some stuff yet this summer and early fall, but must most of them will be transitioning back to "school/academy" ball, and focusing more closely on their college choice.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Haralson commit soon, to someone. He's been on everyone's radar for years now...unlike someone like Mullins, who blew up fairly recently. I personally wouldn't advise Haralson to commit, probably not until next spring even...I'd hold out and see if a high major team on his list ends up having an increased need when the portal shakes out. I doubt IU would "back off" on recruiting him, and/or lower his NIL package if he waited, as an example.

But obviously there's something to be said for getting the decision done, and focusing on other things.
IU will be able to give him the highest NIL package. So I could see him committing now. Our NIL is insane right now. I heard from someone I trust that basically we have blank check books right now as long as the rules stay the same. You visit IU and woody wants you? The only question is how much do you need, and I heard we don’t haggle. Makes a lot of sense on Tucker, rice, Ballo, and Carlyle.

IU will be able to give him the highest NIL package. So I could see him committing now. Our NIL is insane right now. I heard from someone I trust that basically we have blank check books right now as long as the rules stay the same. You visit IU and woody wants you? The only question is how much do you need, and I heard we don’t haggle. Makes a lot of sense on Tucker, rice, Ballo, and Carlyle.
That kind of talk makes me want to puke. But I'm old and this game is new. I get it and am happy we are one of the "haves" and not the "have nots" like little brother up I-65, but damn.

I’ve also heard the UK talk about having unlimited nil is false too. If this class comes down to just money then I have no fear of any of the other offers but as we know it’s not just the money. It helps though.

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but he is also heavily considering the OTE professional route as well. If it meant jeopardizing the Dream 3 to get Haralson I wouldn't do it.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
there's a limit to everything, he may have a ton of funds to use, but it's not unlimited. you overpay for a Harrelson; you might handicap yourself for portal season. Woodson needs to win this year or someone else will be handing out the candy next year. now if a kid visits and says I need x amount and Woodson thinks it's reasonable he can seal the deal.

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but he is also heavily considering the OTE professional route as well. If it meant jeopardizing the Dream 3 to get Haralson I wouldn't do it.
who are you considering the "Dream 3": IE kids: Mullins, Sisley and Moreno? Haralson's higher rated than any of them, as is Tiller correct?

I’ve also heard the UK talk about having unlimited nil is false too. If this class comes down to just money then I have no fear of any of the other offers but as we know it’s not just the money. It helps though.

Do you think former UK players are loyal to UK or to Calipari? Not exactly on topic here, but just interested in your guys' opinion. I always have had a perception that they're Calipari guys - not UK guys - especially in the one and done era.

Reactions: Cavanagh and T.M.P.
Do you think former UK players are loyal to UK or to Calipari? Not exactly on topic here, but just interested in your guys' opinion. I always have had a perception that they're Calipari guys - not UK guys - especially in the one and done era.
Calipari players are loyal to Calipari, 100%. Did any stay at UK? Maybe the one kid who was from KY, although I'm not sure he commited before Cal left and I don't think was that highly ranked anyway. At least with Pope I believe there's hope of it returning to being about UK... but he still will have to win at a high level. I bet many of the UK Cal players will show up at AR games maybe sporting AR gear.

Reactions: Seyton and Cavanagh
A lot of the top guys from the Cal era already stated they were loyal to Cal

Calipari players are loyal to Calipari, 100%. Did any stay at UK? Maybe the one kid who was from KY, although I'm not sure he commited before Cal left and I don't think was that highly ranked anyway. At least with Pope I believe there's hope of it returning to being about UK... but he still will have to win at a high level. I bet many of the UK Cal players will show up at AR games maybe sporting AR gear.
only about 5 percent of the guys he coached there stayed more than a year anyway. in today's world are any players loyal to their schools

Ironically Sleepers just posted a podcast about this and apparently Kerr Krisa did an interview with Willie Cauley-Stein and he said he didn't know who he'd be supporting or what he'd wear to a UK v AR game, and I think he meant in Rupp. Sad, but not surprising.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT