ADVERTISEMENT

IU Opponents

Bowlmania

Hall of Famer
Sep 23, 2016
First, let me be clear I'm not pouring cold water on IU's fast start. The best any team can ever do is beat the teams they're scheduled to play and we're a perfect four-for-four to date. I was happy to be able to attend the UCLA game and be a part of IU's win in that iconic venue. I still think that was a key game and an important road win over a conference opponent with some good players. Our team looks disciplined, focused and fast, and Coach Cig and the staff are doing a nice job.

That said, all of this talk about a 10 or 11-win record and a berth in the CFP is very premature. The teams we've defeated have a combined record of 3-11. One of them, Western Illinois, hasn't won a game since 2021. Today's Sagarin ratings rank our strength of schedule nationally (including all D1 schools - - FBS and FCS) as 194th. We have yet to beat a very good team.

Our next opponent, Maryland, is the best team we will have played so far. They're 3-1, losing only to Michigan State on a last-second FG. Maryland's three wins include a W over a good Virginia team at Charlottesville.

This Saturday's game will be an important test and give us a much better idea as to whether IU is truly an upper echelon team.

Go Hoosiers!

Ohio State has played Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall. Those three teams have combined for three wins total. I don't think Indiana is much different than many teams who are currently sitting undefeated.

Indiana has to prove itself every week going forward because the fanbase will continue to find reasons to question the worthiness of each win. Ohio State football fans don't do that, they have history on their side.

I hope Cignetti builds a program where these negative perceptions are shattered.

Ohio State has played Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall. Those three teams have combined for three wins total. I don't think Indiana is much different than many teams who are currently sitting undefeated.

Indiana has to prove itself every week going forward because the fanbase will continue to find reasons to question the worthiness of each win. Ohio State football fans don't do that, they have history on their side.

I hope Cignetti builds a program where these negative perceptions are shattered.
Look, most of us are IU fans. I bleed cream and crimson. I don't want to argue with another IU fan about how good (or not) we are. I'll just say that comparing IU to Ohio State at this juncture, in any way, shape or form, doesn't make for a compelling argument.

Indiana has to prove itself every week because we are the losingest program in NCAA Division 1 history and because this fanbase has suffered like few others. We have a history of losing games in the most gut-wrenching fashion. We (the fans) have been teased with some big upsets and even a few winning seasons (a very few - - just three since 1995). We even cracked the Top 10 nationally in 2020, only to have everything fall apart soon after.

I'll say it again. I'm thrilled that we're 4-0. I'll be even happier once we've defeated somebody good. I expect that to happen this weekend.

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: td75
Look, most of us are IU fans. I bleed cream and crimson. I don't want to argue with another IU fan about how good (or not) we are. I'll just say that comparing IU to Ohio State at this juncture, in any way, shape or form, doesn't make for a compelling argument.

Indiana has to prove itself every week because we are the losingest program in NCAA Division 1 history and because this fanbase has suffered like few others. We have a history of losing games in the most gut-wrenching fashion. We (the fans) have been teased with some big upsets and even a few winning seasons (a very few - - just three since 1995). We even cracked the Top 10 nationally in 2020, only to have everything fall apart soon after.

I'll say it again. I'm thrilled that we're 4-0. I'll be even happier once we've defeated somebody good. I expect that to happen this weekend.

Go Hoosiers!
F*ck the history. It doesn’t matter. You think CCC gives two shits about our history?

First, let me be clear I'm not pouring cold water on IU's fast start. The best any team can ever do is beat the teams they're scheduled to play and we're a perfect four-for-four to date. I was happy to be able to attend the UCLA game and be a part of IU's win in that iconic venue. I still think that was a key game and an important road win over a conference opponent with some good players. Our team looks disciplined, focused and fast, and Coach Cig and the staff are doing a nice job.

That said, all of this talk about a 10 or 11-win record and a berth in the CFP is very premature. The teams we've defeated have a combined record of 3-11. One of them, Western Illinois, hasn't won a game since 2021. Today's Sagarin ratings rank our strength of schedule nationally (including all D1 schools - - FBS and FCS) as 194th. We have yet to beat a very good team.

Our next opponent, Maryland, is the best team we will have played so far. They're 3-1, losing only to Michigan State on a last-second FG. Maryland's three wins include a W over a good Virginia team at Charlottesville.

This Saturday's game will be an important test and give us a much better idea as to whether IU is truly an upper echelon team.

Go Hoosiers!
Yes we’ll get a better view (v. The Terps) whether the O is the irresistible force and whether the D is the immovable object (HEP’s rock). I’ll say there is more evidence that the Hoosiers are real and not frauds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT