ADVERTISEMENT

IU @ NW, Game 2: IU pulls game out in the 12th, 5-2...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
It will be RHP Seti Manase on the mound for IU with an ERA of 2.59 in 31.1 IP. As usual, it's Serruto behind the plate and Mathison is the DH. The batting order is the same as yesterday.

LHP Sam Garewal will be on the mound for NW with an ERA of 7.52 in 32.1 IP.

It's 61 degrees at game time and cloudy with the wind blowing in at around 5-10 mph. Almost no chance of rain.

1st Inning:

T1st:

Glasser singled to start the game. A balk moved Glasser to 2nd and then a passed ball moved him to 3d.

Whalen and Taylor both K'd for two outs with Glasser still at 3rd. Tibbitts lined out to SS and after Glasser made it to 3rd with no outs, IU strands him there.

B1st:

Manase starts the game with control problems and walked the first batter and then hit the next batter.

The runner on 2nd was picked off on a throw by Serruto.

Manase then walked another batter to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out.

A fly ball resulted in the 2nd out with runners now on the corners.

Manase got a K to end the inning with runners left on the corners.

IU 0 NW 0

Last edited:
Thank god Northwestern is incompetent fundamentally. Any other Big Ten team and IU would be in a huge hole right now. Menase has no control and our batters look like middle schoolers at best flailing and missing at pitches from terrible pitchers.

Also no Arnone or Calarco in NW lineup who are easily their best hitters in an already bad offense. This team better learn how to hit pitching just like everyone else in conference does. Only a Mercer team can make horrible pitchers look like Nolan Ryan for extended games in a row.

Enjoy collapsing out of another tournament since this is the Mercer experience. I want the guy to succeed I really do. However, try to realize the guy has major flaws in the way he coaches and you can't win at the level you want when he is in charge. There is more to coaching then recruiting with Mercer is good at but the rest he does pretty poorly.

Talent wins some in spite of him. I am not trying to troll. I however am VERY seriously concerned about the program with him in charge. You cannot have an offensive coach who's team goes into a slump for multiple weeks in a season every year and makes every other pitcher have career days?

Is everyone else not concerned about this stuff? I really want to know.

Well down 1-0 after 2 and should be down at least 3-0 if NW were better at basic fundamentals. Can IU even score a run today? I have my doubts with the way our batters look incompetent at the plate against a horrible pitcher.

How can anyone watch this and not be seriously concerned about this program? I really want to understand.

2nd Inning:

T2nd:

Mathison grounded out to lead off as the 5-7 hitters are up. Pyne and Cerny both K'd to retire the side.

Garewal came into the game not having big strikeout numbers, but he has four Ks through the first two innings.

B2nd:

Manase faced the 6-8 hitters. The leadoff hitter doubled and Kraft is warming up in the bullpen with Manase not being sharp in the game up until now.

A SAC bunt moved the runner to 3rd with one out.

Another bunt went to Manase and with a rundown between home and 3rd, the runner was tagged out for the 2nd out.

A two-out double scored the runner to make it NW 1-0 and Manase's day was over quickly with LHP Ryan Kraft coming in with an ERA of 2.27 in 43.2 IP.

On a full count, Kraft hit a batter to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs, but Kraft then got a K to end the inning.

NW 1 IU 0

Thank god Northwestern is incompetent fundamentally. Any other Big Ten team and IU would be in a huge hole right now. Menase has no control and our batters look like middle schoolers at best flailing and missing at pitches from terrible pitchers.

Also no Arnone or Calarco in NW lineup who are easily their best hitters in an already bad offense. This team better learn how to hit pitching just like everyone else in conference does. Only a Mercer team can make horrible pitchers look like Nolan Ryan for extended games in a row.

Enjoy collapsing out of another tournament since this is the Mercer experience. I want the guy to succeed I really do. However, try to realize the guy has major flaws in the way he coaches and you can't win at the level you want when he is in charge. There is more to coaching then recruiting with Mercer is good at but the rest he does pretty poorly.

Talent wins some in spite of him. I am not trying to troll. I however am VERY seriously concerned about the program with him in charge. You cannot have an offensive coach who's team goes into a slump for multiple weeks in a season every year and makes every other pitcher have career days?

This will be my second and last time I will respond to you. As someone stated in another thread, none of us control the hiring at IU.

You put so much energy into something and get so little in return. Don't you see no one likes your posts, very rarely does anyone respond to your posts, etc? You are having a conversation with yourself. You would be just as productive stepping outside and yelling at the clouds.

Anytime you have to qualify as many posts as you do stating "I am not a troll" you are already lying to yourself. You are absolutely a troll. That or Mercer personally upset you in some way.

You really need to take back and reevaluate your priorities. If IU baseball makes you this upset, I really pity you.

This will be my second and last time I will respond to you. As someone stated in another thread, none of us control the hiring at IU.

You put so much energy into something and get so little in return. Don't you see no one likes your posts, very rarely does anyone respond to your posts, etc? You are having a conversation with yourself. You would be just as productive stepping outside and yelling at the clouds.

Anytime you have to qualify as many posts as you do stating "I am not a troll" you are already lying to yourself. You are absolutely a troll. That or Mercer personally upset you in some way.

You really need to take back and reevaluate your priorities. If IU baseball makes you this upset, I really pity you.
I am just seriously worried about the future of this program and no one else seems to be.

3rd Inning:

T3rd:

It's the 8 thru 1 hitters up with Jessee leading off.

Jessee singled to start the inning. A SAC bunt moved Jessee to 2nd with one out with the top of the order up.

Glasser K'd for the 2nd out. Whalen flied out to retire the side.

B3rd:

Kraft faced the 3 thru 5 hitters. Kraft got a K, a walk, and two K's to end the inning.

NW 1 IU 0

4th Inning:

T4th:

It's the 3 thru 5 hitters up with Taylor leading off. Taylor and Tibbitts both flied out for two outs. Mathison then K'd to retire the side.

B4th:

It was the bottom of the order up for NW. Kraft got an infield pop up and then got a GO for two outs. A two-out single just over Tibbitts glove put a runner on. A GO ended the inning.

NW 1 IU 0

Looks like we are still in a "Maryland" hangover. Should be 1-1 right now at worst. Bad fundamental baseball at the plate when you have a guy at third with nobody out and you can't get him in.
Wake up Hoosiers.... let's go!!

This team is so checked out fundamentally they gave up a free run.

Really concerning. Won't say anything else but I am not sure how this can work long term.

5th Inning:

T5th:

It was the 6-8 hitters up and IU went down in order with two lineouts and a K.

B5th:

It's the 2 thru 4 hitters up and the leadoff hitter reached on a single. Kraft then got a K for the first out.

A flyout resulted in the 2nd out with the runner still at 1st.

A double that Taylor couldn't corral and it was off his arm and then a poor throw by Taylor for an error allowed an unearned run on the throw. Kraft got a GO to end the inning.

NW 2 IU 0

5th Inning:

T5th:

It was the 6-8 hitters up and IU went down in order with two lineouts and a K.

B5th:

It's the 2 thru 4 hitters up and the leadoff hitter reached on a single. Kraft then got a K for the first out.

A flyout resulted in the 2nd out with the runner still at 1st.

A double that Taylor couldn't corral and it was off his arm and then a poor throw by Taylor for an error allowed an unearned run on the throw. Kraft got a GO to end the inning.

NW 2 IU 0
How can you watch this and not be concerned about the team mentally and the leadership they are receiving at moment to get out of tough times?

6th Inning:

T6th:

Serruto led off and flied out and it seems like every hard hit ball by IU went right to the NW fielders.

Glasser lined out and Whalen singled to put a runner on. Taylor grounded out to retire the side. Garewal is at 74 pitches through 6 innings.

B6th:

It's the bottom of the order up and Whalen made a good play on a ball in CF for the first out. Kraft got a GO for two outs. A grounder to Kraft ended the inning.

NW 2 IU 0

2-12 when trailing after 6. This team is a serious front runner - and that’s not a compliment. Today would be a swell time for number 3.

Wonderful. This team is so Jekyll and Hide under Mercer. They literally cannot hit anymore. Please realize there are no more NCAA Tourneys coming under this staff. We desperately need a change if we don't want to let Mercer do what Sharon Versyp did to PU women. Yes she was OK at first but there were concerning signs and the next thing you knew the program was in shambles. That is where this is headed with this staff.

Please understand I love most of the IU coaches and am very complimentary of them. I know there is nothing anyone on this board can do but I just wish you guys would all see this program is in grave danger of collapsing completely and I don't just mean this season.

7th Inning:

T7th:

It was the 4 thru 6 hitters up with Tibbitts leading off. Tibbitts flied out to the warning track for the first out.

Mathison was hit by a pitch to put a runner on. Up to this point, Garewal has thrown 56 strikes to 26 balls.

Pyne singled to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out and Garewall was pulled for RHP Coby Moe with an ERA of 9.00 in 14 IP.

A WP moved the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Cerny hit a pop fly with the runners holding and Jessee K'd to retire the side and IU missed on a big scoring opportunity.

B7th:

It's the top of the order up for NW. A K and a great play by Whalen in CF resulted in the 2nd out after a review upheld the catch. A GO ended the inning.

NW 2 IU 0

8th Inning:

T8th:

It's 9 thru 2 hitters up for IU. Serruto grounded out for the first out.

With the top of the order up, Glasser singled to put a runner on with one out.

The Wildcats went to the bullpen again and brought in RHP Ben Grable with an ERA of 4.50 in 24 IP who is one of NW's more reliable pitchers, and he will face Whalen.

Whalen grounded out with Glasser taking 2nd and two outs. The play at first was reviewed and it was upheld as an out.

Taylor doubled to LF to score Glasser and Tibbitts is up with two outs.

Tibbitts singled in a ball that was perfectly placed to score Taylor to tie the game and two outs.

With Mathison up and two outs, a balk moved Tibbitts to 2nd. Mathison flied out to retire the side.

B8th:

Kraft was back out there to face the 4-6 hitters and Kraft he put them down in order on just a handful of pitches to end the inning.

IU 2 NW 2

9th Inning:

T9th:

It's the bottom of the order up for IU which hasn't done hardly anything at the plate today. Cerny K'd and Jessee grounded out for two outs. Serruto K'd swinging on a full count to retire the side.

B9th:

Kraft was back out there to try and get IU to extra innings and he faced the bottom of the order.

Kraft got the leadoff hitter on a hard hit ball to CF that was right to Whalen. Another flyout resulted in two outs.

A batter reached on an infield hit with two outs and the top of the order up and a pinch hitter up. Kraft then got a K to end the inning and take it to extra innings.

IU 2 NW 2

This offense owes this entire pitching staff and especially Kraft an apology for how they have hit recently. Just terrible approach at plate.

Did Taylor bet against his own team? That is twice he has screwed up today. Game would be over or nearly over if he would stop making mistakes.

10th Inning:

T10th:

It was the top of the order up for IU, and Glasser and Whalen grounded out for two outs.

Taylor walked to put a runner on.

In an absolutely incredible bad luck situation , Tibbitts doubled and Taylor was going to score easily, but he fell down going down the 3rd base line and was tagged out at the plate to retire the side.

B10th:

RHP Connor Foley relieved Kraft and he has an ERA of 4.96 in 16.1 IP. It's the 2-4 hitters up and Foley walked the leadoff hitter. A DP ball erased the runner for two outs.

A single put a runner on with two outs. The runner stole 2nd, but Foley got a K to end the inning. Foley has been throwing heat up to 96 mph.

IU 2 NW 2

Would have won the game twice now if not for Taylor. Even if he makes just one of the mistakes Hoosiers still win. This team's psyche is so broken right now.

There is pitcher no. 3 this series to have career day against IU. When will you guys realize Mercer has a serious issue teaching plate approach.

11th Inning:

T11th:

It's the 5 thru 7 hitters up and Mathison flied out for the first out. Pyne and Cerny both K'd to retire the side. The freshman Cerny is having an especially bad time at the plate today with 4 Ks in 5 plate appearances.

B11th:

Foley got the first two batters , but then gave up a walk and Serruto nailed the runner trying to steal 2nd to end the inning.

IU 2 NW 2

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call that a “big win” but it was a good win as we were not great at the plate but got some clutch hits late and Krafty!, CF and Ridedorph looked good

12th Inning:

T12th:

IU finally broke through to take the lead. Here was how it occurred:

Jessee hit a stand-up double and Serruto reached on a bunt single to put for runners at the corners and no outs.

Glasser hit into a FC with Serruto out at 2nd and Jessee holding at 3rd and one out.

Whalen reached on a FC and Glasser moved to 3rd after an error by the SS with one out and Jessee scoring on the play.

Taylor doubled to score both Glasser and Whalen to make it 5-2 and that would be the score after Tibbitts grounded out, Mathison walked and Pyne reached on a FC with Mathison out at 2nd to retire the side.

B12th:

RHP Brayden Risedorph came in to close it out and he put them down in order with two GOs and a K, and IU avoided what would have been a bad loss, especially after getting some help in other B1G games today.

IU 5 NW 2 (Final - 12 innings)

I wouldn’t call that a “big win” but it was a good win as we were not great at the plate but got some clutch hits late and Krafty!, CF and Ridedorph looked good
I generally agree with what you said, but from the context that it would have been a big, big loss that we couldn't afford to have, that made it a big win. We got some help today in other B1G games, so losing that game today would have been an opportunity missed.

Why do you do the same rant on every one of these posts? I have seen no one but me respond to your melodramatic posts about everything. You are ruining the original poster's much appreciated info.

I generally agree with what you said, but from the context that it would have been a big, big loss that we couldn't afford to have, that made it a big win. We got some help today in other B1G games, so losing that game today would have been an opportunity

When Glasser opened the game with a single and made it to 3rd after a balk and passed ball with no outs, yet he was stranded there, it was kind of a harbinger of what the game was going to be like for IU for much of the first seven innings. It wasn't a good sign that Manase couldn't even get through 2 IP, but IU got great pitching from that point on to help IU hang in there until they got something going at the plate. The Wildcat starter was not a strikeout pitcher coming into the game, but he had a career high in Ks before he left the game. When IU did have good contact on pitches they seemed to always go straight to fielders, and while NW is last in fielding, they also made some great plays on difficult balls.

I was glad to see the freshman Taylor get that 2-RBI double in the 12th, after he had a tough day with the error that allowed the unearned run to make it 2-0 NW, and then he fell down heading for home which kept the game at 2-2. While Taylor's 2 RBIs turned out to be unneeded, the three-run margin going into the bottom of the 12th took a lot of pressure off the freshman Risedorph, who would have certainly felt the pressure if it was just a one-run lead.

IU was 11 for 46 for a team batting average of .239, while NW was 7 of 39 for .179. IU had four multi-hit players and here are some of the stats:

Taylor: 2 for 5 with two doubles, 3 RBIs, and 1 run scored.
Tibbitts: 2 for 6 with a double, and 1 RBI.
Jessee: 2 for 5 with a double, and 1 run scored.
Glasser: 2 for 6, and he scored 2 runs.
Whalen: 1 for 6, 1 RBI, and 1 run scored.

Both teams had one error apiece.

Like I indicated, Manase had a poor start to the game and fans just got seated before he made his exit from the game. He gave up the only earned run given up by IU with the other run unearned because of the lone error. Kraft had a great 7+ innings pitched and the relievers after him were just as good. Foley was throwing heat with one pitch that reached 96 mph. Here are the pitching numbers:

Manase: 1.2 IP, 2 hits which were both doubles, 1 run which was earned, 1 K, 2 BBs, and a hit batter.

Kraft: 7.1 IP, 4 hits to include a double, 1 run which was unearned, 7 Ks, 1 BB, and he hit a batter.

Foley: 2 IP, 1 hit, no runs, 2 Ks, 2 BBs. and the rest of his slate was clean.

Risedorph: 1 IP and all three batters went down in order with one K.

The game tomorrow has been moved up to a 1 p.m. ET start time to avoid bad weather later on.

IU again got a lot of help from other B1G games today.

Illinois 14 MSU 7 - MSU entered this series a game ahead of IU in the B1G, but after dropping the first two games of this series, they are now a game behind IU with IU in sole possession of 2nd right now.

Nebraska 12 Maryland 10 - The Huskers didn't cool the Terps off at the plate, they simply outscored them today. Both teams had pitchers see their ERAs take a little bit of a hit today. IU moved to within a game of the Terps with the Huskers staying a game behind IU in the standings.

Minnesota 4 Michigan 2 - No one saw the Wolverines losing the series to the Gophers, but by losing today, they did just that. This was the second series win for the Gophers in the B1G having won two of three from OSU to open the B1G season. Michigan, which had the most favorable schedule left in the league, is now a full two games behind IU in the standings, and they have scored a total of two runs in the series so far.

Iowa 15 OSU 3 - Iowa still had Keaton Anthony, their leading hitter, out of the lineup, but they throttled a bad OSU team anyway. Iowa remains a half game behind IU, and are even with IU in the loss column, but behind IU by a game in the win column.

Rutgers 10 PSU 0 - Rutgers has taken the first two games of the series and are a game behind IU in the standings.

South Dakota State 7 Purdue 5 - SDSU and the Boilers have split the first two games of the non-conference series. The Boilers are now in 7th place, but are a half game behind MSU, Nebraska and Rutgers for 4th place.

In summary, going into tomorrow's action, IU is a game behind the Terps, while a half game ahead of Iowa, and a full game ahead of MSU, Nebraska, and Rutgers. Michigan is tied with Purdue in the loss column with 8 losses, and depending on what happens tomorrow, the Wolverines could be tied with Purdue in the standings or a game behind them.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
10th Inning:

T10th:

It was the top of the order up for IU, and Glasser and Whalen grounded out for two outs.

Taylor walked to put a runner on.

In an absolutely incredible bad luck situation , Tibbitts doubled and Taylor was going to score easily, but he fell down going down the 3rd base line and was tagged out at the plate to retire the side.

B10th:

RHP Connor Foley relieved Kraft and he has an ERA of 4.96 in 16.1 IP. It's the 2-4 hitters up and Foley walked the leadoff hitter. A DP ball erased the runner for two outs.

A single put a runner on with two outs. The runner stole 2nd, but Foley got a K to end the inning. Foley has been throwing heat up to 96 mph.

IU 2 NW 2
You would think that Mercer would teach his team to know how to run the bases, so players wouldn't fall down between third and home! I am joking of course, so that Mercer isn't blamed for everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT