ADVERTISEMENT

IU@MSU Game 3: IU 11 MSU 2, Final

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
IU didn't waste anytime jumping on the MSU pitcher in the 1st. Ashley opened the game with a double and Gorski hit a 2-run homer to give IU an early 2-0 lead. Saalfrank is on the mound.

Last edited:
Saalfrank is pitching well so far and has given up a single so far. He stranded a runner in the 2nd who reached on an error by Walker.

IU opened the 4th with back-to-back singles by Lloyd and Bradley. A FO put runners on the corners, and then Richardson walked to load the bases with one out. Dunham then doubled driving in two runs, putting runners on 2nd and 3rd with just one out. Walker was hit by a pitch to load the bases again, but Cross struck out and Ashley flied out to end the inning. IU up 4-0.

Saalfrank continues to pitch well. Through four innings, he has given up just a harmless single in the 1st, and has six Ks so far.

With IU batting in the 5th, MSU has brought in a relief pitcher.

Walker added to IU's lead in the 6th with a homer to make it 5-0. It was his second homer of the day as he homered in the first game today.

MSU's lead-off hitter in the 6th hit a solo homer to put MSU on the board at 5-1, IU.

It was good to see us get through the 7th with ease. That inning killed us in the first game today. Saalfrank has given up just two hits so far, with one of those being the homer. I don't know if he will be out there for the 8th, but his pitch count (90) is not all that high.

IU broke this game wide-open in the 8th. Richardson and Dunham opened the inning by reaching on an error and a walk, both Walker and Cross were out on a FO and a GO. Ashley scored Richardson on a single, and Gorski hit a triple to score both Dunham and Ashley. Lloyd then singled to bring in Gorski. Both Bradley and Barr walked to load the bases, but Richardson struck out to end their half of the inning. IU is up 9-1

Grant Sloan came on to pitch the B8th. Great game by Saalfrank.

In the B8th, Sloan got himself into trouble by walking two batters and hitting another batter to load the bases with two outs. Scott came on in relief and walked the first batter he saw to drive in a run, but he struck out the next batter to end the 8th. IU is up 9-2.

In the 9th, after one out, Walker walked and Cross hit a 2-run homer. IU up 11-2.

IU's pitching staff combined for a two-hitter in this one. Saalfrank had a really good game. Nebraska won their game today, but with our split, I believe we still barely hold onto first by just percentage points.

I thought I would add that Michigan won a double-header today against Northwestern and has tied us in the loss column (conf. record,) while we are one up on them in the win column, so they are also breathing down our back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT