ADVERTISEMENT

IU @ Michigan State, Game 1: IU falls out of first place with an 8-6 loss...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
It will be RHP Luke Sinnard on the mound for IU with an ERA of 4.21 in 72.2 IP. The lineup and batting order is the same as it's been in the past few games.

For MSU, it's RHP Andrew Carson with an ERA of 3.64 in 47 IP. MSU has six lefties in their batting order to include the 1-4 hitters.

It's 64 degrees as the sun sets and the wind is minimal at SSE 8 mph.

1st Inning:

T1st:

Glasser grounded out to open the game.

Whalen walked on a 3-1 count with one out.

Taylor also walked on a 3-1 count to put runners on 1st and 2nd with Tibbitts up and one out.

Tibbitts flied out with Whalen taking 3rd and Taylor holding at 1st with two outs.

Mathison grounded out to retire the side.

B1st:

Sinnard K'd the leadoff hitter.

The next batter reached on an infield single. Sinnard then got the B1G's leading hitter on a K for two outs.

Sinnard got his third K to end the inning.

IU 0 MSU 0

Last edited:
2nd Inning:

T2nd:

Pyne led off with a GO. Jessee and Cerny singled to put runners on 1st and 2nd and one out.

Serruto fouled out for two outs and runners still holding with the top of the order up in Glasser.

A pitch clock violation moved both runners to 2nd and 3rd, and then Glasser walked to load the bases with two outs.

A two-out, two-run RBI single by Whalen puts IU up 2-0 with runners at 1st and 2nd.

Taylor K'd looking to retire the side. The Spartan starter is over 40 pitches through two innings.

B2nd:

On a single and an error by Jessee in LF, the leadoff hitter reached 2nd. It was a tough error for Jessee when the ball took an awkward bounce.

Sinnard then got the next batter on a K for one out and the runner at 2nd. Another K by Sinnard kept the runner still at 2nd and two outs.

Sinnard ended the inning with another K, his sixth K through two innings.

IU 2 MSU 0

3rd Inning:

T3rd:

It's the 4-6 hitters up with Tibbitts leading off. Tibbitts lined out on a hard liner to SS.

Mathison singled to put a runner on with one out.

Pyne K'd for the 2nd out with Mathison still at 1st.

Mathison stole 2nd. Jessee K'd to retire the side.

B3rd:

It's the 9 thru 2 hitters up for MSU.

The leadoff hitter grounded out to 1B for the first out. The next hitter put down a perfect bunt to reach.

The next hitter got his 2nd homer of the season to tie the game at 2-2.

Cerny made a tough catch on a foul ball for the 2nd out with the bases empty. Sinnard got a K to end the inning.

IU 2 MSU 2

Sinnard is way to prone to giving up HR's. He is a solid starter but gives up WAY to many home runs. That guy who hit it is not even a home run hitter.

Go find a legit ace and start Sinnard on Saturday which he is more than good enough to do. I don't blame Mercer for the home run because that is who Sinnard is, but guys of his caliber need to be pitching Saturday. Mercer needs to go out and find a true ace and another legit starter like most schools have and stop trying to be clever and piece it together three innings at a time with one Saturday starter. Not the best way to do it but it's what we have thanks to Mercer's lack of brilliance.

3rd Inning:

T3rd:

It's the 8 thru 1 hitters up with Cerny leading off. Cerny was hit by a pitch to reach.

Serruto singled with Cerny reaching 3rd to put runners on the corners with no outs and the top of the order up in Glasser.

A GO to the right side of the infield scored Cerny to give IU a 3-2 lead with a runner at 2nd and one out.

Whalen popped out for the 2nd out with Serruto still at 2nd and MSU pulls their starter who was already at 71 pitches. The Spartans brought in LHP Joseph Dzierwa with an ERA of 5.83 in 66.1 IP, and he faced Taylor.

Taylor K'd looking for the second time to retire the side.

B3rd:

It's the 5-7 hitters up. Sinnard got GOs for the first two outs. The next batter singled on a fly ball that was not hit deep but fell in the right spot to put a runner on.

Sinnard then gave up his first walk of the game to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs.

Sinnard then hit a batter to load the bases with two outs and Sinnard is at 66 pitches right now.

A flyout to Jessee ended the inning where the Spartans loaded the bases on a weak fly ball single and nothing else but a walk and hit batter, but came up empty.

IU 3 MSU 2

Our defense stinks tonight and it's forcing Sinnard to throw far to many pitches. You had Jessee misplay the hit for a double, Whalen had the catch pop out of his glove and Jessee tried to hard drop that last out. So far these mistakes have not led to any runs but it means Sinnard can only go 5 probably and have to burn Kraft now.

None of these mattered yet but they could very well later in game. PLEASE DEFEND BETTER WITH YOUR FIELDING.

5th Inning:

T5th:

Tibbitts led off and flied out. A GO by Mathison got the 2nd out with Kraft warming up in the bullpen.

Pyne hit a two-out double to put a runner in scoring position with Jessee up.

Jessee hit a RBI double to put IU up 4-2 with Cerny up and two outs.

Cerny flied out to retire the side.

B5th:

It's the 2-4 hitters up and Sinnard faced the toughest part of the Spartan lineup.

Sinnard got a K looking for the first out. The next batter grounded out for two outs.

The next batter reached on a bunt single. Sinnard caught the runner off 1st on a pickoff and the runner was tagged out in a rundown to end the inning.

IU 4 MSU 2

6th Inning:

T6th:

It's the 9 thru 2 hitters up with Serruto leading off. Serruto reached on a single and It's the top of the order up in Glasser.

Glasser K'd looking for the first out. Whalen flied out to shallow RF for the second out. Taylor grounded out to the pitcher to retire the side.

B6th:

It's the 5-7 hitter up with Sinnard out there at 85 pitches. A bloop single in no man's land to CF put the leadoff hitter on.

Sinnard then got his 9th K of the game for the first out.

A single that got past a diving Pyne put runners on 1st and 2nd and one out.

Sinnard then got his 10th K for two outs and he is still being clocked at as high as 96 mph.

Sinnard then walked the No. 9 hitter on a full count to load the bases and two outs, and Mercer brings in LHP Ryan Kraft with an ERA of 2.09 in 56 IP. Kraft would have a lefty/lefty advantage with most of the MSU lineup.

Kraft gave up a double to clear the bases to make it 5-4 MSU, and so much for the lefty/lefty matchup.

The walk by Sinnard to the No. 9 hitter who was in a hitting slump really hurt. Kraft then walked the next batter to put two on and two outs and the B1G's leading hitter up.

A GO ended the inning but IU coughed up a two-run lead after two outs.

MSU 5 IU 4

Clown Mercer tried to stretch Sinnard to far and cost us a game. Done that far to many times. Will make Regional but as long as this idiot is managing will not win as big as we can with his in game management.

Also IU is clearly to cheap to add replay as we now see a second school has it in league. IU's a disgrace of an athletic department in so many ways. They hire a terrible coach and can't even pony up for replay as at least like a couple schools in conference clearly have.

Disgusting.

Kraft picked a hell of a time to have his worst outing of season. That is not Mercer's fault. However, the length he left Sinnard in was and is the difference.

I warned you all that our clown and idiot of a coach would manage us out of a win and cost us league title. I don't take pride in it but next time listen to me when I tell you we have a coach who cannot manage well in game and it can cost squad big.

7th Inning:

T7th:

With the 4-6 hitters up, Tibbitts hit a fly that fell between three players and he tried to take 2nd and was thrown out. A review showed that it was probably a good call at 2nd even though it was close, and the umps upheld the call. It was scored a single and an out at 2nd.

Mathison K'd looking for the 2nd out. Pyne reached on a walk on a 3-1 count. Jessee grounded out on a tough play by 2B to retire the side.

B7th:

Facing the 4-6 hitters, Kraft hit the leadoff batter and he doesn't look his usual dominate self in this outing.

Kraft then got a flyout for the first out. A couple of singles through the infield scored a run to make it 6-4 and runners on the corners with one out as the Spartans are finding the holes through the infield.

A SF scored another run to make it 7-4 MSU with two outs.

A pop up to 1B ended the inning and IU has six outs to try and come back in this game.

MSU 7 IU 4

Kraft picked a hell of a time to have his worst outing of season. That is not Mercer's fault. However, the length he left Sinnard in was and is the difference.

I warned you all that our clown and idiot of a coach would manage us out of a win and cost us league title. I don't take pride in it but next time listen to me when I tell you we have a coach who cannot manage well in game and it can cost squad big.
I doubt anyone will listen to you! All you do is bitch about everything IU

8th Inning:

T8th:

It's the 8 thru 1 hitters up and MSU brought in their usual closer in RHP Wyatt Rush with an ERA of 3.66 in 39 IP. IU went down in order without getting the ball out of the infield.

B8th:

The top of the order was up for MSU and the leadoff hitter reached on another single that got through the infield, and that's been much of the story in this game with hitters finding the holes in the infield.

A WP sent the runner to 2nd with no outs and Kraft had some kind of injury and was relieved by RHP Evan Whiteaker who hasn't pitched since a month and a half ago (April 4h), and he has an ERA of 5.65 in 14.1 IP.

Whiteaker through a WP on his very first pitch in a game after about 45 days which moved the runner to 3rd.

A SF scored the runner from 3rd to make it 8-4. A K and GO ended the inning.

MSU 8 IU 4

9th Inning:

T9th:

It was the 2-4 hitters up and Whalen K'd swinging for the first out. Taylor singled to put a runner on.

Tibbitts singled to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out.

Mathison singled to left center to score Taylor and put runners on the corners with one out and Pyne up.

Pyne sent a deep fly to the warning track in CF but it was just short and a long out for second out with Tibbitts scoring.

Jessee K'd to end the game.

MSU 8 IU 6

Thanks for picking tonight to throw like garbage Kraft. I know he did not mean to but he cost us the Big Ten Title at the worst time and could not have picked a less ideal time to have his first terrible outing.

Dude, I’ve read your comments on the coaches, university, AD, etc… which is a broken record, but whatever. I agree with Some of your points. But these young men are competing while you sit at home complaining and insulting their effort and ability. Theyre going to fail, have a bad outing, make errors, have bad ABs but it doesn’t mean they suck, shouldn’t be out there and certainly one player didn’t cost IU their chances. Your comments highlight your a ‘never was’. You never was an athlete who busted their butt, failed, but picked themselves up and succeeded. I quietly follow these strings because I appreciate the updates and some banter, but you’re simply a jerk behind a keyboard talking down young men giving it their all for their friends, school and personal drive. I hope IU comes back and wins the next two, wins the tourney and has success in a regional. I expect Kraft and the others who happen to struggle tonight to succeed their next opportunity, because I appreciate the hard work and effort. All these young men are good ball players or else they wouldn’t have the opportunity to wear Indiana across their chest.
Dude, You’re probably the guy who’s kid quit at 12 because he couldn’t stand getting yelled at after the games or was on a different team every year, because ‘the coach’.

Dude, I’ve read your comments on the coaches, university, AD, etc… which is a broken record, but whatever. I agree with Some of your points. But these young men are competing while you sit at home complaining and insulting their effort and ability. Theyre going to fail, have a bad outing, make errors, have bad ABs but it doesn’t mean they suck, shouldn’t be out there and certainly one player didn’t cost IU their chances. Your comments highlight your a ‘never was’. You never was an athlete who busted their butt, failed, but picked themselves up and succeeded. I quietly follow these strings because I appreciate the updates and some banter, but you’re simply a jerk behind a keyboard talking down young men giving it their all for their friends, school and personal drive. I hope IU comes back and wins the next two, wins the tourney and has success in a regional. I expect Kraft and the others who happen to struggle tonight to succeed their next opportunity, because I appreciate the hard work and effort. All these young men are good ball players or else they wouldn’t have the opportunity to wear Indiana across their chest.
Dude, You’re probably the guy who’s kid quit at 12 because he couldn’t stand getting yelled at after the games or was on a different team every year, because ‘the coach’.
You are right about one thing. I have never played organized sports (unless you consider my daily exercise at the YMCA on the weights as "sports"). I have no ill will towards the players and rarely criticize them. They are talented young men doing their best. I am not mad at Kraft at all. He was set up to fail.

Who I criticize is Mercer who is a grown adult and making good money and constantly failing in big situations. He teaches poor plate approach and lets far to many pitchers have career nights against his offense (although that was not a problem tonight or since the Sunday Northwestern game). He is a hitting guy and this is my NUMBER ONE complaint. 11 pitchers have had their best outing of the season against him in conference. That is a problem. He also stretches pitchers beyond their limits which did cost us tonight. He is not responsible for Kraft being off but he is culpable for that situation and left Sinnard out far to long.

Maryland is super well coached and is going to win a well deserved big ten title with an elite offense. They have also figured out a way to work around terrible pitching (except when Mercer made every starter look like Nolan Ryan) and win in spite of it. IU will still make a Regional and finish second or third which is a nice improvement.

There is zero doubt Mercer can recruit and this team is uber talented and can win on that talent alone. His teaching of fundamentals at the plate though and in game management is among the worst I have ever seen which is what separates a champion from a solid talented squad.

Tracy Smith and Chris Lemonis did not win every game but at least you felt like they were pushing the right buttons and were managing and developing players properly. The same cannot be said for Mercer and this team cannot stay at this level with the way he does things.

There was something about this game that felt flat to me even though we had leads of 2-0 and 4-2 and actually hit the ball for a good team percentage but it was mostly pretty spread out with 10 LOB. I doubt that the Terps will lose to PSU in the next two games with the Nittany Lions unable to hold on to a 7th inning, 7-run lead in tonight's game, so we need to try and hang on to 2nd place. We played a MSU team that was fighting for their playoff lives and they did just enough to get by us.

You can look to two different situations that cost us this game. Sinnard, who was pitching well but had given up 14 homers this season, gave up a 2-run shot to a batter who had just one homer on the season, and that was with the ball not carrying real well in the cold night air. The other situation that broke our backs tonight was when Sinnard had two outs and runners on 1st and 2nd, and he walked the No. 9 hitter who was in a big-time slump to load the bases, and that was when Kraft came in and gave up that bases clearing double.

Well, with Iowa beating NW tonight, we are just a half game ahead of them in the standings, so we need to put this past us and get the next two games. Nebraska also moved within a game of us with a win over the Boilers tonight. They said that Kraft had some kind of injury issue, so I hope that's not serious, and he certainly didn't have his best stuff tonight when we needed it.

The hits were even at 12 hits apiece. IU was 12 of 37 for .324, while the Spartans were 12 of 33 for .364. IU had four multi-hit players tonight and here are some stats.

Whalen was 1 for 4 with two RBIs.
Jessee was 2 for 5 with a double, 1 RBI, and he scored a run.
Mathison was 2 for 5 with a RBI.
Tibbitts was 2 for 5 and he scored a run.
Pyne was 1 for 3 with a double. 1 RBI, and 1 run scored.
Serruto was 2 for 4.
Cerny was 1 fo 3 and he scored 2 runs.
Glasser also had a RBI.

IU had the only error of the game.

As far as pitching, Sinnard was pitching well even though he gave up a 2-run homer and had 10 Ks on the game, but he ran into problems in the 6th loading the bases with two outs. Kraft had a really off game which is all I'm going to say about that. He left the game with what appeared to be some kind of injury problem which I mentioned earlier, so here's hoping it's not anything serious. Whiteaker made an appearance for the first time in about a month and a half, and he pitched pretty well for the lone inning he was in there for. Here are the pitching numbers.

Sinnard: 5.2 IP, 8 hits including a two-run homer, 5 runs all earned, 10 Ks, 2 BBs, and 1 hit batter.

Kraft: 1.1 IP, 4 hits including a double, 3 runs all earned, no Ks, 1 BB, 1 WP, and 1 hit batter.

Whiteaker: 1.0 IP, no hits or runs, 1 K, no BBs, and 1 WP.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Kraft hasn’t been Kraft since before Maryland. I’m hoping injury was something like a finger cut but have to wonder whether something brewing for a while. Any creates an opportunity for someone else. Also Maryland hit him hard which I have to believe an on point Kraft locating and controlling his pitches would not have been the case (there would have been hits). Maryland also was start (I think) of hbp + each appearance and walks

Dude would be complaining and dissing coaches, players if he was an lsu or vandy fan (vandy have had offensive struggles). Just scribing every frustration in his head because psyche needs and wants IU to be national power. Good to have dreams but can’t get over the fact he’s completely powerless sitting on the couch.

Dude would be complaining and dissing coaches, players if he was an lsu or vandy fan (vandy have had offensive struggles). Just scribing every frustration in his head because psyche needs and wants IU to be national power. Good to have dreams but can’t get over the fact he’s completely powerless sitting on the couch.
And has never played organized sports before LOL He's a video game jockey or something. Frankly, I think that says a lot about someone when they're as hyper critical of something that they've never even remotely done themselves....except on Xbox.

Damn, that blows. I didn't follow it but Pyne sent one to the warning track with 2 on in the 9th? Man......so close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT