ADVERTISEMENT

IU is fun to watch again

Yeah, play solid D and rebound, value the ball, take good shots and force more turnovers than you commit. Who woulda thought that would work? Oh yeah, everybody!

PS, I'd add making free throws but that's still a work in progress for this team!

Last edited:
The 2nd half is fun at least.

In terms of defense, I enjoyed the entire game.

We took NW's offense out of the game almost from tipoff to the buzzer.

Yes, we're still struggling to score points (especially when JM is on the bench). But (a) we knew offense was going to be tough for us without any great scorers on the squad, and (b) Rob's confidence and stroke seems to be improving.

Reactions: kkott
These threads are fun to read after we beat little sisters of the blind. Lets compare this one to this Friday nights after Mi. St. It will be suicide watch for some and fire CAM all over again. Crazy how some fans wear their emotions on their sleeves. This team has improved in some areas but is not a good team at all. IU has played a weak conference schedule so far. The top teams are yet to be played and they frankly are not that good either.

These threads are fun to read after we beat little sisters of the blind. Lets compare this one to this Friday nights after Mi. St. It will be suicide watch for some and fire CAM all over again. Crazy how some fans wear their emotions on their sleeves. This team has improved in some areas but is not a good team at all. IU has played a weak conference schedule so far. The top teams are yet to be played and they frankly are not that good either.

You seem upset. Why would a solid defensive effort upset you?

MSU, Ohio and PU are better than NU. So what? IU played the best defense I have seen in nine years...I enjoyed it.

We have come a long way since getting thumped by Fort Wayne and Indiana St by 20 points at home. Not many fans are expecting a win Friday night but hoping we at least play and compete hard which is all we can ask. Before this 3 game win streak, were we disappointed and frustrated "yes", calling for Archies head, "no". There might be 1 or 2 knuckleheads calling for his head but dont let them speak for the other 99 percent of us. You will see a post here or there out of frustration about calls or plays but take it for frustration only not calling for Archies head.

NW was predicted to finish in the top 5 in the conference this year and was coming off a win in the tournament last year.

Well, I know at least one poster who wears his emotions on his sleeve and he seems angry!

It's a process and there will be steps forward and backward. Yesterday was a step forward. Friday may indeed be a step back, especially if we're catching MSU coming off an embarrassing home loss and Izzo has all week to drill them. If we can play D and limit TO's we'll be in alot off games. The low hanging fruit to me to fix is FTs. This team should be closer to 75%, especially without Davis. As limited on offense as we are, we can't afford to give away points.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierraven

They aren't quite Colorado that's for sure.

This crappy conference does currently have 4 teams in the Kenpom top 20. It also has all but Rutgers in the top 100.

The Pac12, for comparison sake, has zero teams in the top 20 and a few of our posters bitter preferred choice just recently was beaten by two sub 100 teams.

I like how we're trending.

Last edited:
You seem upset. Why would a solid defensive effort upset you?

MSU, Ohio and PU are better than NU. So what? IU played the best defense I have seen in nine years...I enjoyed it.
Not upset in the least. Too many come here after a win and CAM is the best. After a loss they have seen no improvement in this team. If they can not see improvement in this team they should not be posting on any bb forum. My point was simple. This team is bad and CAM was dealt this hand and forced to play it. Why does anyone not expect ups and downs each week? CAM is without question teaching this team defense and ball value every possession. He can not score for them and he can not shoot free throws for them. His "brand" of ball looks very encouraging to me so far. He just has very little to work with. I actually really like CAM as a hire and think he will get the job done much faster and more sustained than the last 3 knuckle heads. But one win over another bad team means little.

Reactions: Kwang
Not upset in the least. Too many come here after a win and CAM is the best. After a loss they have seen no improvement in this team. If they can not see improvement in this team they should not be posting on any bb forum. My point was simple. This team is bad and CAM was dealt this hand and forced to play it. Why does anyone not expect ups and downs each week? CAM is without question teaching this team defense and ball value every possession. He can not score for them and he can not shoot free throws for them. His "brand" of ball looks very encouraging to me so far. He just has very little to work with. I actually really like CAM as a hire and think he will get the job done much faster and more sustained than the last 3 knuckle heads. But one win over another bad team means little.

I am more happy with the improved play...then again, I was not saying we made a mistake hiring Archie after the Indiana State and IPFW losses either.

We are seeing improved play on the floor that has resulted in wins. Is that against top 25 teams? No. But we were losing games to teams much worse than Northwestern earlier this year. This is ground floor building right now. The fact that our defense is so improved and we actually appear to know how to attack a zone gives me confidence going forward. The record is not where we would like but the positive trend in our play is.

Last edited:
I bet you're fun at parties.

The key is that we improve. And we have.

Every team has both upside (ie, the best we could be) and downside (ie, the worst we could be) potentials. Given how much offensive production we lost from last season and Crean's recruiting misses, I think everybody realizes that our upside potential was pretty limited from the get-go. We could have Wooden, Smith, Krzyzewski, and Knight all roaming our sidelines right now, I'd guess that we'd still be a mediocre team.

But, as Derek Jeter once said, it doesn't take any talent to work hard. So are we punching above, at, or below our weight? Are we working hard at compensating for our shortcomings by doing the things we can do to be a better team? I think so.

I bet you're fun at parties.
First time posting here. Live in Ga. for 25 years and have become an SEC football fan...ok cue the boos. But, I grew up in Indiana, played high school and small college ball there and am a DEVOTED IU basketball fan. Sorry if restating the obvious but i SO much more enjoy watching them play now. I understand we have issues that need to be worked on but my god... we are playing defense for a change! And our offense doesn't look like a keystone cop movie weaving and setting up a three ball. I love IU basketball and now I'm watching from GA every chance I can!

Just let us enjoy some good fundamentals for a moment, regardless of who the opponent was... I saw some great ball movement and defense that hasn't been present for several years now... Sorry to hear somebody pissed in your Cheerios this morning... Don't piss in mine...

Was...this was one game. At least it was a good game against a mediocre team.
PSU and MN are no slouches. They have played good, consistent basketball. Huge improvement. They will slip again, but this is what I have been waiting for. Just a beginning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT