ADVERTISEMENT

IU is a middling academic school

Last edited:

To me, this is more disappointing than our decades of irrelevance in athletics.
Meh, while it’s “not cool”, an overall ranking of a university is largely useless and very difficult to justify a methodology.

The schools within the university are what matters. As long as Kelley, Maurer and med school remain highly ranked it’s all that really matters.

Meh, while it’s “not cool”, an overall ranking of a university is largely useless and very difficult to justify a methodology.

The schools within the university are what matters. As long as Kelley, Maurer and med school remain highly ranked it’s all that really matters.
I disagree. People judge universities on job apps. It’s a proxy when you have hundreds or thousands to weed through.

IU’s 80+% admit rate is a joke. What are we, Central Florida?

Reactions: hoosiers94
Are you going to turn away a Kelley candidate because IU overall is on the decline?
There are other schools at IU. I don’t really care about Kelley.

And if I’m hiring a BA/BS, yeah I’m going to think the kid from NW, UCLA, Michigan etc is likely to be smarter overall.

And if I’m hiring a BA/BS, yeah I’m going to think the kid from NW, UCLA, Michigan etc is likely to be smarter overall.
Well I disagree - pretty vehemently. There are numerous reasons for a really smart kid to go to IU over those you mentioned. Cost being a major factor.

I just looked it up. There are 14,000 kids going to Kelley. That’s wild. Are you going to let your kids major in whatever they want? Poly sci? Art? Lit?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I just looked it up. There are 14,000 kids going to Kelley. That’s wild. Are you going to let your kids major in whatever they want? Poly sci? Art? Lit?
Yes.

They'll be paying for it. Or a scholarship will. I'd like them both to double major or minor in at least one humanity like philosophy, history, classics, or economics. I'll discourage them from any woowoo subjects like women's studies, English lit (as it's taught today), etc. I'd hope neither chooses to major in business and hopefully will major in math or a hard science.

I don’t really care about Kelley.
What? Why not?

Kelley is the school that's producing future business leaders who grow their companies and help to create jobs.

My oldest kid is a Kelley grad and has had a quick and meteoric rise to VP of Finance for a healthcare organization. My niece is graduating next month with a Kelley degree and got a Wall Street offer last September. She's had a fun senior year with a great job lined up months ago.

Yes.

They'll be paying for it. Or a scholarship will. I'd like them both to double major or minor in at least one humanity like philosophy, history, classics, or economics. I'll discourage them from any woowoo subjects like women's studies, English lit (as it's taught today), etc. I'd hope neither chooses to major in business and hopefully will major in math or a hard science.
I’d strongly suggest economics over those others.

Yes.

What does they’ll be paying for it mean? You counting on schollies? I have no doubt my daughter will get accepted to FSU/mizzou/iu type and won’t get a scholarship or any money. . I’ll have to pay

Reactions: larsIU

Ummm….news alert 🚨 I graduated from there. What did you expect? Any respectable institution would have said hell no when I applied.

I’d strongly suggest economics over those others.
Leave his daughter alone. She’s a Bitcoiner.

What? Why not?

Kelley is the school that's producing future business leaders who grow their companies and help to create jobs.

My oldest kid is a Kelley grad and has had a quick and meteoric rise to VP of Finance for a healthcare organization. My niece is graduating next month with a Kelley degree and got a Wall Street offer last September. She's had a fun senior year with a great job lined up months ago.
I don't consider "business" an academic subject that should be taught undergraduates at a university.

I know I'm in the minority. Not looking to fight. I'm happy your family is doing so well.

Reactions: BadWakeboarder
I don't consider "business" an academic subject that should be taught undergraduates at a university.

I know I'm in the minority. Not looking to fight. I'm happy your family is doing so well.
Well, I think it’s a great undergraduate degree. Why don’t you?

I felt that way for quite some time as well. That it should be for edification not vocational. A broader education. Enrichment. But the cost has made me reconsider that and so too has my own career. I’m blessed to have six (was seven) very close friends from law school. We literally group text every day. One practices law. That’s it. All of us do other shit. And I wish I would have had business and finance and accounting and economics in my background instead of poly sci, public policy/admin. Real world stuff. The humanities stuff you can learn on your own today.

Last edited:

Didn't mean to come across as boastful. We have our issues just like every other family. But it's clear to me that Kelley is very highly regarded and opens doors.

Well, I think it’s a great undergraduate degree. Why don’t you?
For me, I don't think business majors are taught to value or find knowledge, truth, or the good life. I also don't think business subjects are good at teaching students how to challenge themselves and expand their thought and sense of being. And quite frankly, I don't think most business majors learn very much while in college. There's a reason many (most?) elite schools don't offer undergraduate degrees in business.

Most of this stems from my belief that your undergraduate degree shouldn't be driven by employment considerations. But, if you are driven by that, there are plenty of articles out there that suggest getting a business degree isn't as helpful as many think.

I felt that way for quite some time as well. That it should be for edification not vocational. A broader education. Enrichment. But the cost has made me reconsider that and so too has my own career. I’m blessed to have six (was seven) very close friends from law school. We literally group text every day. One practices law. That’s it. All of us do other shit. And I wish I would have had business and finance and accounting and economics in my background instead of poly sci, public policy/admin. Real world stuff. The humanities stuff you can learn on your own today.
You can learn the business stuff on your own. It's not difficult.

But you can’t get hired. Sorry, but you can’t work in finance, accounting, marketing etc without the undergrad degree. A full economics major maybe but now you’re splitting hairs over business vs Econ.
I love ya' RangerBoarder, but think you're wrong. Plenty of people don't major in biz as an undergrad and go onto work great jobs within business. Harvard, Yale, Princeton etc. don't even offer undergrad business degrees. They all unemployable? You don't think a math major has a shot at a finance job? Plus, if you want, you can (and probably should, nowadays) get an MBA. Here's one article of many on this subject:

And the differrence between econ and business is not splitting hairs.

Reactions: hoosboot
I love ya' RangerBoarder, but think you're wrong. Plenty of people don't major in biz as an undergrad and go onto work great jobs within business. Harvard, Yale, Princeton etc. don't even offer undergrad business degrees. They all unemployable? You don't think a math major has a shot at a finance job? Plus, if you want, you can (and probably should, nowadays) get an MBA. Here's one article of many on this subject:

I feel like you’re wrong brother but I don’t know. @BadWakeboarder how do you get in at these big companies today without a biz related degree? Do they interview poly sci/history majors? I feel like recruiting prevents that. Again I don’t know

I’m talking about that first job. Who is hiring a Northwestern humanities major into a finance role?

I feel like you’re wrong brother but I don’t know. @BadWakeboarder how do you get in at these big companies today without a biz related degree? Do they interview poly sci/history majors? I feel like recruiting prevents that. Again I don’t know
No - they don’t. I truly have no idea where Brad is coming from. Later in career the degree is less important - but an entry level job in business will absolutely require it.

The fact that the U of Illinois is ranked so high tells me that this is a bogus ranking.

And we have an 82% acceptance rate. I'm not sure why that rates as a negative, because it doesn't affect the actual classes.

We have to lead the league in banned fraternities and sororities - that has to count for something.

I did undergrad and a 3/2 mba at IU/Kelley.

This was 20 years ago. I always felt the 60 hrs or so of general study required for the BS was kind of, well, BS, as it had little structure to it.

If I did it over again I would have studied econ and then law school. I think you'd be better off with an econ degree in the business world and in my view lawyers run the corporate world.

I think the business degrees prepare you well to get your foot into the door and navigate a job within a corporation. The MBA at IU was definitely at a whole different level than undergrad. I disagree with one of the article's premises that an undergrad business degree doesn't prepare you for an MBA.

I just feel like unfortunately the cost involved has changed things to force education to be more results oriented. A quarter of a mil isn’t a joke. As well as home prices, insurance, daycare, etc. you have to make money today. Sucks
We’ll inflate that away until a year of college=a 20 piece from Popeyes.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT