ADVERTISEMENT

IU Grads Poll

IU Grad?

• Yes

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
Right. I stayed away from the Cooler on purpose and only came back at the challenge from Bowelmania, aka Aloha.

It's still a cesspool, but finally has some alternate opinions.
When you were challenged did you know that you’d instantly be a top 3 poster or were you surprised by how low the bar was?

I started my post secondary education at IUPUI though dropped out before the end of my second semester. I completed my degree at The School of Hard Knocks with a double major in Life's Little Kicks in the Ass and Quantum Pain in the Ass Theory.

Does that count?
No judgements. Just a poll from Stoll to prove Sobester wrong, which is what he did.

I know; my wife is one.

And I met a lot of them when I was in Texas. I still love texting some of them, telling them that the A&M could never compete in a real conference like the B1G. Infuriates them every time.
Every time I see Texas A&M games, I think of that Tom Cruise movie where the cadets take over after their Commandant was fired. Buzz heads looking for a reason to shoot someone.

Yeah, he wouldn't have tolerated your thin-skinned, low signal quality posts. He didn't tolerate mine when I first found the board, but really thoughtful posters like DougS, Buzz, IUTerry, and Rockfish prodded me to engage in better conversation. I guess I'm one of those awful people who rises and falls to the level of what surrounds him.

Buzz could be a dick about it, but the quality of the arguments and conversation was exponentially higher during his reign. Posters like @BradStevens , @Univee2 , and @Marvin the Martian were the norm. Folks as thoughtful and informed as @crazed_hoosier2 and @Noodle or as middle of the road establishment as @Aloha Hoosier (all of whom I mostly disagree with politically but have learned a ton from and have tons of respect for*) were seen a bit as bomb-throwers in that regime. Some of that is mellowing and becoming better informed with age, but a lot of that is something else.

*add Ranger/Wakeboarder to that list, too, but can't remember if he was around much in the Buzz era.
Pretty hilarious you think you engage in any kind of meaningfule conversation.

It was just a joke, right?

I don’t recall but it was almost 20 years ago (maybe more?). Hell, I was once banned permanently. I even still have the email from Buzz banning me in 2009 (I forget how I was allowed back):

No, N, what I did was suggest that your post wasn't fit for polite company, and as can be seen below, it wasn't. It was rude, condescending, boorish, hostile, childish, and insulting to others. As for fixing it, didn't your mom teach you that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar? Given your tone, while asking me for something I'm in no way obligated to do, I'm guessing not.​

What I will do before too long is take the whole dopey thread down. What I will also do is make your suspension permanent, since this e-mail has convinced me you have no intention of playing nice with the other kids. Finally, I will direct any future e-mails from you directly to my junk mail folder, so I don't have to put up with you any more.​

I wish I had saved it, Buzz really didn't like my first post and gave me a warning. He had been talking about the differences between Republicans and Democrats, I made a joke about Republicans, clearly referenced as a joke, before launching into my main point. He said such jokes weren't helpful and led to back and forths that take away from actual discussion. He added that I was close to being removed from the board and would be if my next posts weren't better.

All these years later I can say he was right, such jokes do tend to end serious conversation.

I wish I had saved it, Buzz really didn't like my first post and gave me a warning. He had been talking about the differences between Republicans and Democrats, I made a joke about Republicans, clearly referenced as a joke, before launching into my main point. He said such jokes weren't helpful and led to back and forths that take away from actual discussion. He added that I was close to being removed from the board and would be if my next posts weren't better.

All these years later I can say he was right, such jokes do tend to end serious conversation.
How did this Buzz guy handle funny GIFs?

Yeah, he wouldn't have tolerated your thin-skinned, low signal quality posts. He didn't tolerate mine when I first found the board, but really thoughtful posters like DougS, Buzz, IUTerry, and Rockfish prodded me to engage in better conversation. I guess I'm one of those awful people who rises and falls to the level of what surrounds him.

Buzz could be a dick about it, but the quality of the arguments and conversation was exponentially higher during his reign. Posters like @BradStevens , @Univee2 , and @Marvin the Martian were the norm. Folks as thoughtful and informed as @crazed_hoosier2 and @Noodle or as middle of the road establishment as @Aloha Hoosier (all of whom I mostly disagree with politically but have learned a ton from and have tons of respect for*) were seen a bit as bomb-throwers in that regime. Some of that is mellowing and becoming better informed with age, but a lot of that is something else.

*add Ranger/Wakeboarder to that list, too, but can't remember if he was around much in the Buzz era.
I’d be perfectly fine for all moderators to immediately start deleting all posts that are personal attacks and try to clean up board.

How did this Buzz guy handle funny GIFs?

They weren't as prevalent in 2000 overall, but I don't recall ever seeing one here under his watch. I doubt they would have been allowed up for very long.

He wanted to have serious discussions about politics. And it wasn't to convince, he wanted people to lay out their arguments but not try to persuade someone else. We all get caught in that, and let's face it, it just doesn't happen. I mean I am sure on a subject, someone may have changed their mind. But the percentage is going to be much nearer to 0.

They weren't as prevalent in 2000 overall, but I don't recall ever seeing one here under his watch. I doubt they would have been allowed up for very long.

He wanted to have serious discussions about politics. And it wasn't to convince, he wanted people to lay out their arguments but not try to persuade someone else. We all get caught in that, and let's face it, it just doesn't happen. I mean I am sure on a subject, someone may have changed their mind. But the percentage is going to be much nearer to 0.

Season 1 Omg GIF by Friends

I've changed your mind and turned you into a Bitcoin maximalist.

Bitcoin Quotes GIF by Voltage

Sounds like a ripping good time, riveting in it's sterility.

Reactions: DANC
Pretty hilarious you think you engage in any kind of meaningfule conversation.

It was just a joke, right?
Apparently you had a stroke and missed a few sentences in my post. Make sure you take your medication.

Agree that changing people's worldview wasn't the focus, but it wasn't just talking past each other either. I am under the impression that there were some significant conversations here that contributed to the changes we saw in DougS. I know that he changed my thoughts on quite a few things as well.

Agree that changing people's worldview wasn't the focus, but it wasn't just talking past each other either. I am under the impression that there were some significant conversations here that contributed to the changes we saw in DougS. I know that he changed my thoughts on quite a few things as well.
Fascinating

• Haha
Reactions: jet812
It's not easy. I've been trying to change minds on Bitcoin for several years now. My batting average is .015 currently. I have 5 converts. One is a great coach and the Al Bundy of soccer (@mcmurtry66). The other is a younger and better dressed, Matlock (@BradStevens). And if I'm being honest they're probably just lying about being Bitcoiners because it gets me excited. Anyhoo, I agree hoosboot, it's difficult to change minds.

Last edited:
I think the best liberal poster here was @RerunStubs. He influenced my thinking on a few things and more often than not gave me some points to ponder. I wish he still posted. He would provoke some good discussions.

That must be from the good old days when men were men and mods were mods.
I do miss all those guys and gals from way back. Buzz, Rockfish, Stina, ARuss...the list goes on and on. All good, smart posters who made these boards better (or whatever iteration of them existed at the time).

Reactions: UncleMark
I don’t recall but it was almost 20 years ago (maybe more?). Hell, I was once banned permanently. I even still have the email from Buzz banning me in 2009 (I forget how I was allowed back):

No, N, what I did was suggest that your post wasn't fit for polite company, and as can be seen below, it wasn't. It was rude, condescending, boorish, hostile, childish, and insulting to others. As for fixing it, didn't your mom teach you that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar? Given your tone, while asking me for something I'm in no way obligated to do, I'm guessing not.​

What I will do before too long is take the whole dopey thread down. What I will also do is make your suspension permanent, since this e-mail has convinced me you have no intention of playing nice with the other kids. Finally, I will direct any future e-mails from you directly to my junk mail folder, so I don't have to put up with you any more.​

God I would love to read that post.

Definitely wish some of those guys you mentioned in your first paragraph were still posting on these boards. I know Buzz passed away, but as far as I know the others are still kicking around.

I like the cut of that guy's jib.
Buzz and I had some pretty blunt discussions, and he took down a few of my posts. But he never banned me or gave me a vacation. We had some back channel serious arguments. Met him once and we got along pretty well. When he came back after several years, he seemed changed and was very bitter and belligerent. Died not long after.

• Sad
Reactions: BradStevens
I know; my wife is one.

And I met a lot of them when I was in Texas. I still love texting some of them, telling them that the A&M could never compete in a real conference like the B1G. Infuriates them every time.
Mrs. hooky is an Aggie and couldn't give any less shits about A&M sports. So frustrating to talk smack and it not have an effect.

Buzz and I had some pretty blunt discussions, and he took down a few of my posts. But he never banned me or gave me a vacation. We had some back channel serious arguments. Met him once and we got along pretty well. When he came back after several years, he seemed changed and was very bitter and belligerent. Died not long after.
I never met Buzz, but met a handful of the regulars from the late 90s/mid 2000s. I went to an IU/Penn State basketball game and met a decent number of east coasters. Also met some people at the Big Ten Tournament circa 2001-03. I also played in the Peegs 3 on 3 basketball tournament in 2002 and met a few more folks there - I still have the shirt from that. I played with IU Believer and one of his friends. Good times.

I never met Buzz, but met a handful of the regulars from the late 90s/mid 2000s. I went to an IU/Penn State basketball game and met a decent number of east coasters. Also met some people at the Big Ten Tournament circa 2001-03. I also played in the Peegs 3 on 3 basketball tournament in 2002 and met a few more folks there - I still have the shirt from that. I played with IU Believer and one of his friends. Good times.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Remember when someone tried to start an alternative site just for "serious" discussions and you had to be invited to participate? That thing lasted about a month from what I recall. Almost as good as the infamous ranking of posters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT