ADVERTISEMENT

IU Football Needs New Head Coach & Image Makeover

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
I have been following IU football since the early 70's & only remember a couple times the program reaching rock bottom.

We have solidified ourselves in Power 5 history by reaching 700+ losses 1st.

We need a new image & discipline going forward.

We hired RMK out of the service academies when the BB program was in shambles.

I would take any of the 3 service academy coaches & turn IU into a run option Power 5 school. We get 5 years into this, & IU Football will have a brand new identity.

It makes sense on so many levels for IU Football..
- You get the best option QB's
- Run the clock (shorten the game)
-Keep your defense off the field
- You just need OL road graters not pass rush athletes against OSU & Mich DL athletes
- It is hard to prepare for on a B10 grind. You will catch teams on the road off-guard who do not defend IT well.
- It is a discipline offense, & it spills over to discipline on the defense.
- It is not a bad offense to watch. It is a lot better than what I have watched the past 2 months..
- Hiring a service coach & installing this offense has a much higher probability of success in 5 years vs. a new coach & high passing offense
- Sadly, it will never happen..

I have been following IU football since the early 70's & only remember a couple times the program reaching rock bottom.

I would take any of the 3 service academy coaches & turn IU into a run option Power 5 school. We get 5 years into this, & IU Football will have a brand new identity.

- You just need OL road graters not pass rush athletes against OSU & Mich DL athletes
- It is hard to prepare for on a B10 grind. You will catch teams on the road off-guard who do not defend IT well.
- It is not a bad offense to watch. It is a lot better than what I have watched the past 2 months..
- Hiring a service coach & installing this offense has a much higher probability of success in 5 years vs. a new coach & high passing offense
There is a reason the service academies are the only schools that still run those offenses. There aren't 10 "road graters" out there who are like, "Aw, I have no offers out of high school because all I can do is run block. If only there was a P5 team that would run an antiquated offense and offer me, so I could keep playing football."

The truth is, those big nasty kids that can't pass block in high school still get P5 offers. The teams just spend a year or two teaching them how after they get to school. Not a problem at most P5 schools, since freshmen rarely start anyway. There are not 10 kids out there sitting at home that would be all-conference lineman if they could only find a school that runs the flexbone.

Not my first choice, but considering IU’s track record of trying to compete like most schools, I’d rather see IU go the “service academy” route than another poor hire. I like the Navy coach, who by the way, went to my high school.

Reactions: IUFANBB

Why

When has the option been successful in the power 5? Not since Nebraska of the 90’s. Those days are long gone. Fans at every losing program always think it’ll solve problems. It won’t.

Reactions: 76-1
Georgia Tech tried this. It doesn't work. I would take a look at an FCS powerhouse and get a coach that has built a program. Someone from this list.

I like Keeler, Stiegelmier, and Cigneeti from that list...

Georgia Tech tried this. It doesn't work. I would take a look at an FCS powerhouse and get a coach that has built a program. Someone from this list.

Keeler or Cognetti look like they know how to run programs!!

I like Keeler, Stiegelmier, and Cigneeti from that list...
IIRC Stiegelmeier’s 65 and Cignetti is 62.

Speaking of James Madison Univ (Cignetti’s current school) the guy Cignetti replaced (Mike Houston) was 37-6 at JMU and won a national champ there—and fwiw he’s 10 years younger than Cignetti.

He’s at ECU now and just gave Fickell and UC a really close game at Cincy.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1

I bet Allen wouldn't win at any of these places either. He's simply a lousy head coach.

Reactions: kmathum
There is a reason the service academies are the only schools that still run those offenses. There aren't 10 "road graters" out there who are like, "Aw, I have no offers out of high school because all I can do is run block. If only there was a P5 team that would run an antiquated offense and offer me, so I could keep playing football."

The truth is, those big nasty kids that can't pass block in high school still get P5 offers. The teams just spend a year or two teaching them how after they get to school. Not a problem at most P5 schools, since freshmen rarely start anyway. There are not 10 kids out there sitting at home that would be all-conference lineman if they could only find a school that runs the flexbone.
My point was that we don't need the super athletic pass-rush linemen with this offense to have success against OSU or Michigan. We just need to find really good run blocking linemen like Wisconsin and now Illinois.

Why

When has the option been successful in the power 5? Not since Nebraska of the 90’s. Those days are long gone. Fans at every losing program always think it’ll solve problems. It won’t.
Georgia Tech ran it not that long ago for 15-20 years.

Georgia Tech ran it not that long ago for 15-20 years.
Paul Johnson was there 11 years. 82-61 overall (67%), 51-37 in conference (58%). They played in 9 bowl games.

That said, we had the best option QB we could have ever had when CC was here, and still lost more than we won.

If we were ever to consider such a move, it could only work if we have successful, football-oriented AD like a Barry A. to provide program direction. We don't have that.

My point was that we don't need the super athletic pass-rush linemen with this offense to have success against OSU or Michigan. We just need to find really good run blocking linemen like Wisconsin and now Illinois.
And my point is that you won't find them. Or, rather, that when you find them, you'll also find that they are being recruited by OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois. You won't just get them because you are a P5 program with an option offense. In fact, you probably won't get them, because they will want to learn how to be an NFL lineman, and you dlcan't teach that by running an option offense.

Paul Johnson was there 11 years. 82-61 overall (67%), 51-37 in conference (58%). They played in 9 bowl games.

That said, we had the best option QB we could have ever had when CC was here, and still lost more than we won.

If we were ever to consider such a move, it could only work if we have successful, football-oriented AD like a Barry A. to provide program direction. We don't have that.

It wasn't because our offense stunk. We just had a bad defense back then.

Reactions: IUFANBB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT