ADVERTISEMENT

IU coaching rumor of the day.

burnthemallralphie

All-Big Ten
Mar 27, 2015
Cincinnati
From two sources I trust: IU has contacted Steve Kerr. Now maybe they are asking his opinion, but I have heard it from two people that have been good sources in the past.

From two sources I trust: IU has contacted Steve Kerr. Now maybe they are asking his opinion, but I have heard it from two people that have been good sources in the past.

If this is true, then I'd say it's almost certainly the case that they've contacted Kerr for reference purposes only. Who in the world would give up a spot coaching Curry, Thompson, Green, and Durant for a rehab job in the college ranks?

Then they dug up the bones of Red Auerbach and asked him if he wanted the job.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

I feel better about it not being Alford. I talked with someone who worked in the athletic dept years ago and they said that the admin did indeed speak with Alford back in '06 and again in '08. Word is he was a complete ass about the whole situation both times with all sorts of ridiculous ultimatums/demands. Said it soured IU on Alford and that they aren't worried about Alford being hired at all. There's more to the story, but that's the gist.

I don't have any particular reasons to believe or disbelieve this story. I'm choosing to let it ease my anxiety about Alford possibly being hired.

Reactions: mops65
I feel better about it not being Alford. I talked with someone who worked in the athletic dept years ago and they said that the admin did indeed speak with Alford back in '06 and again in '08. Word is he was a complete ass about the whole situation both times with all sorts of ridiculous ultimatums/demands. Said it soured IU on Alford and that they aren't worried about Alford being hired at all. There's more to the story, but that's the gist.

I don't have any particular reasons to believe or disbelieve this story. I'm choosing to let it ease my anxiety about Alford possibly being hired.
If the right people want SA, it will be SA. Money matters more than bruised egos

If you call IU coaching position a rehab job, you need to get off of drugs or the booze.

How so?

We were knocked out of the first round of the NIT this year and the recruiting cupboard Crean leaves behind is pretty bare. On top of that, there's no telling what some of our current players will do -- thus far, only Davis has (by way of his HS coach, anyway) publicly committed to returning. Further, we haven't made the Final Four in 15 years and haven't won a national championship in 30 years.

Granted, there are varying degrees of rehab jobs. But it's not as if the job is vacant because Crean decided on his own to go out on top.

If you liken it to buying a house, I wouldn't say the existing house has to be razed. But neither is it in "move-in condition." The new owner has some significant remodeling to do.

I actually believe this. Alford has that reputation. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

How so?

We were knocked out of the first round of the NIT this year and the recruiting cupboard Crean leaves behind is pretty bare. On top of that, there's no telling what some of our current players will do -- thus far, only Davis has (by way of his HS coach, anyway) publicly committed to returning. Further, we haven't made the Final Four in 15 years and haven't won a national championship in 30 years.

Granted, there are varying degrees of rehab jobs. But it's not as if the job is vacant because Crean decided on his own to go out on top.

If you liken it to buying a house, I wouldn't say the existing house has to be razed. But neither is it in "move-in condition." The new owner has some significant remodeling to do.

Yes, but the point is that the house is in Beverly Hills, not Riverside.

Reactions: mazz

They didn't have any real discussions with him either time, much to his frustration. It never happened.

Yes, but the point is that the house is in Beverly Hills, not Riverside.

This doesn't mean it's not a rehab job. It just means that, under the right care, the potential value of the property is very high. Houses in Beverly Hills need remodeling, too.

It's a rehab job. The program is not in very good shape. It's in better shape than it was 9 years ago, granted. But we've still got a ways to go to get back to where we (a) used to be, and (b) want to be again. No shame in admitting that -- it is, after all, the reality.

This doesn't mean it's not a rehab job. It just means that, under the right care, the potential value of the property is very high. Houses in Beverly Hills need remodeling, too.

It's a rehab job. The program is not in very good shape. It's in better shape than it was 9 years ago, granted. But we've still got a ways to go to get back to where we (a) used to be, and (b) want to be again. No shame in admitting that -- it is, after all, the reality.
We won't know what shape the program is in until the coach is hired, know who is going to the NBA (D-League), and know who will transfer. We also don't know who the new coach will recruit. We won't lose everyone.

I don't expect JBJ back. OG could listen to the people projecting his draft status and leave. Bryant could leave, but I don't think he will with a good coach. He came initially for Crean, but I would expect he is now connected enough to the school and doesn't want to leave to sit out a year. He could leave for the pro game, but I don't believe he thinks he is ready. Hartman?

It is too early to start running down our program.

I think a lot of this talk or buzz could be coming out of the Alford camp and he might use this as leverage to get more money out of UCLA. I dont think we hire Alford but I do think its one of the coaches left in the sweet 16 since Miller and Marshall are now out of the tourney and no offer yet.

How so?

Maybe the term that has, IMHO, the same meaning as you give to rehab, and is a less emotional connotation is rebuild.
In any case the next coach is not starting from ground zero like CTC had to but he will also not inherit an established team that will be favored tocontend for a Big 10 title

How so?

Is it worse than what Davis left when Sampson took over? Sampson's first season we went 21-11, got a 7 seed and won the first game in the tourney. The next year, a week before the debacle, we were #13 in the AP.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Of course you do

haha. i think Glass was paying attention the masses. read his list of requirements. i don't see rapist enabler on there anywhere and i read it one and half times.

no other logical candidate has IU ties. those words were to appease.

haha. i think Glass was paying attention the masses. read his list of requirements. i don't see rapist enabler on there anywhere and i read it one and half times.

no other logical candidate has IU ties. those words were to appease.
Yeah because lawyers always mean what they say. Dws

I have no idea what is going to happen but that PC didn't eliminate anyone. He can spin any hire into fitting his criteria.

He gave a list but no coach can check off each item...so compromises will have to be made and if he decides that his "double checks" for an IU guy outweigh the misses in other areas and then that's what will happen. If the big money demands it's SA, it will be SA. They know any pc backlash will be temporary. IU has proven that they can weather a coaches controversial behavior

Reactions: jom59
I tend to believe that's true, many years ago I knew someone who was on the search committee for Indiana State ... Alford was interviewed, same thing with the demands.

Yeah because lawyers always mean what they say. Dws

I have no idea what is going to happen but that PC didn't eliminate anyone. He can spin any hire into fitting his criteria.

He gave a list but no coach can check off each item...so compromises will have to be made and if he decides that his "double checks" for an IU guy outweigh the misses in other areas and then that's what will happen. If the big money demands it's SA, it will be SA. They know any pc backlash will be temporary. IU has proven that they can weather a coaches controversial behavior

well, that backlash will be too great if Alford coaches IU to the level that Alford has always coaches programs to.

you may be right but i doubt it. Alford without Pierre Pierce? maybe. Alford with Pierre Pierce? nizope

I love this forum because of all the I talked to someone who said this or I know someone that knows someone bs.

well, that backlash will be too great if Alford coaches IU to the level that Alford has always coaches programs to.

you may be right but i doubt it. Alford without Pierre Pierce? maybe. Alford with Pierre Pierce? nizope
Pierce didn't stop him from being hired in Westwood it won't stop him from being hired at his home.
It's naive to think that IU cares more about that crap than UCLA. IU and its fans have shiwn that they can rationalize anything away if you win enough...The backlash SA will get here will be offset by the people who still remember him as the golden boy and hold onto that connection to RMK, one class basketball and small town Indiana boys making it big.

Indiana loves shooters, the rest we can deal with later :)

We won't know what shape the program is in until the coach is hired, know who is going to the NBA (D-League), and know who will transfer. We also don't know who the new coach will recruit. We won't lose everyone.

I don't expect JBJ back. OG could listen to the people projecting his draft status and leave. Bryant could leave, but I don't think he will with a good coach. He came initially for Crean, but I would expect he is now connected enough to the school and doesn't want to leave to sit out a year. He could leave for the pro game, but I don't believe he thinks he is ready. Hartman?

It is too early to start running down our program.

I don't consider calling ours a rehab job to be "running down our program." I call it being realistic about the gaps that exists between (a) a sober analysis of where we are, (b) a realistic vision of the best we could be, and (c) a broadly shared and understood goal of where we expect to be.

To say that ours is not a rehab job is to say that those gaps either don't exist or aren't of significant size. But they do exist and they are of significant size. Conceding that is the first step towards repairing it. Denying it serves no purpose other than to say "Meh, we've been good enough."

No we haven't.

Is it worse than what Davis left when Sampson took over? Sampson's first season we went 21-11, got a 7 seed and won the first game in the tourney. The next year, a week before the debacle, we were #13 in the AP.

No, I don't think it is. But I don't think that means we're knocking on the door.

We're not where we can be. We're not where we expect (or, at least, should expect) to be.

Look, if Bill Self suddenly took ill and had to step down from his job at Kansas, the next coach would be stepping into a very healthy basketball program. I don't see what the big deal is about conceding that it's not the same case here. The next coach will have some rebuilding to do.

If that weren't the case, then we might as well say that Crean and the Harbaughs are right that he was fired in spite of being successful here.

Pierce didn't stop him from being hired in Westwood it won't stop him from being hired at his home.
It's naive to think that IU cares more about that crap than UCLA. IU and its fans have shiwn that they can rationalize anything away if you win enough...The backlash SA will get here will be offset by the people who still remember him as the golden boy and hold onto that connection to RMK, one class basketball and small town Indiana boys making it big.

Indiana loves shooters, the rest we can deal with later :)

uh, ya it will. Bloomington is not Los Angeles.

what have we been shown to rationalize? Sampson's phone calls? Knight being a red ass? it seems to me that extra recruiting phone calls/ cursing and enabling a rapist are two slightly different things. smh

IU and its fans are pretty conservative (see 9 years of rarely-in-the-top-25 basketball by Creaner)

ya, some subset of the fan base will always love Stevie no matter what. can't say it's the majority. and i don't believe IU wants to get into bed with that.

again, we may hire him but not because IU cares more about winning than anything else (see Davis era, see Crean era again).

still not sure what you are getting at here. If IU cares about winning more than anything then why would Alford be on the list at all?

Last edited:
uh, ya it will. Bloomington is not Los Angeles.

what have we been shown to rationalize? Sampson's phone calls? Knight being a red ass? it seems to me that extra recruiting phone calls/ cursing and enabling a rapist are two slightly different things. smh

IU and it's fans are pretty conservative (see 9 years of rarely-in-the-top-25 basketball by Creaner)

ya, some subset of the fan base will always love Stevie not matter what. can't say it's the majority. and i don't believe IU wants to get into bed with that.

again, we may hire him but not because IU cares more about winning than anything else (see Davis era, see Crean era again).

still not sure what you are getting at here. If IU cares about winning more than anything then why would Alford be on the list at all?
Yeah you're right, red state Indiana/Bloomington is far more PC than UCLA/Cali...what was I thinking, dws

Btw, Bloomington isn't making this hire, the money is Indpls, and Chicago. They don't care if some "hippies" protest for a few days. They won't have to deal with them

He's on the list because he has the right connections and there are people who think that we need a family hire to get IUBB back to what it once was...some people think that his connection to Indiana will make him and IU a winner. They both need each other

But my point was/is....you don't know who will be or won't be hired. You can state your opinion as strongly as you like, but in the end it's just your opinion and it's not anymore valid than those who think that he will be hired

They didn't have any real discussions with him either time, much to his frustration. It never happened.

I'm more likely to believe the person I actually know worked for the athletic dept during that time. I also didn't ask for any info. We were talking about the coaching search and all I said was "I just hope it's not Alford". They replied with "I don't think you have to worry about that..." then they proceeded to give me a longer, more detailed version of what I posted. Like I thought I made clear I don't know if it's true. Just passing along a story.

Yeah you're right, red state Indiana/Bloomington is far more PC than UCLA/Cali...what was I thinking, dws

Btw, Bloomington isn't making this hire, the money is Indpls, and Chicago. They don't care if some "hippies" protest for a few days. They won't have to deal with them

He's on the list because he has the right connections and there are people who think that we need a family hire to get IUBB back to what it once was...some people think that his connection to Indiana will make him and IU a winner. They both need each other

But my point was/is....you don't know who will be or won't be hired. You can state your opinion as strongly as you like, but in the end it's just your opinion and it's not anymore valid than those who think that he will be hired

oh, i forgot about Indy aka the Los Angeles of Central Indiana

who are these people who think IU needs one of its own? Mike Davis?

again, it's not my opinion. it's fact. Alford will not coach IU. :) if and when I am wrong, reply to this post and tell me so.

oh, i forgot about Indy aka the Los Angeles of Central Indiana

who are these people who think IU needs one of its own? Mike Davis?

again, it's not my opinion. it's fact. Alford will not coach IU. :) if and when I am wrong, reply to this post and tell me so.
The odds are against whomever you'd say...predicting who it won't be won't put you on the Nostradamus level.

No the point wasn't that LA = indpls...quite the opposite. Folks in Indy are much more likely to overlook one of their owns issues than some "strangers" out in La La land. For lords sake Indiana elected a Gov who was for electric shock therapy to prevent homosexuality...you really think that they'll give a crap about SAs crap from ten yes ago?

SA has the backing of many former players, and alums Doyle even wrote about it today.

I'm not saying that SA will be hired, I'm just saying that you don't know crap

The odds are against whomever you'd say...predicting who it won't be won't put you on the Nostradamus level.

No the point wasn't that LA = indpls...quite the opposite. Folks in Indy are much more likely to overlook one of their owns issues than some "strangers" out in La La land. For lords sake Indiana elected a Gov who was for electric shock therapy to prevent homosexuality...you really think that they'll give a crap about SAs crap from ten yes ago?

SA has the backing of many former players, and alums Doyle even wrote about it today.

I'm not saying that SA will be hired, I'm just saying that you don't know crap

who can you say that? is alford our coach? i'm right so far

as for your characterization of Indiana's conservatism, you got it all wrong. the same folks who voted for that gov have had real trouble with Alford's handling of pierce. noticed we didn't hire him previously either.

but back to the point: Alford's not our coach = me being right (to date)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT