ADVERTISEMENT

IU at Wisconsin, 2001

Wow! Those two announcers were serious homers, weren't they? I was waiting to hear them say, "I have no explanation for this horrific abberation we're seeing on the football field. These are THE Wisconsin Badgers, for cryin' out loud! We all know they should be out there opening up cans of Whoopass on the Green Bay Packers, the Detroit Lions and the Chicago Bears -- not performing like this against a barely-organized program like Indiana ..."
And couldn't they squeeze in just a few more weak cliches?
Don Fischer? You, sir, are a national treasure!

Thank you sooooo much for posting this. I had won an eBay auction for tickets to this game, but backed out (in fairness I was 19) and missed the game. The nightmare of missing this game fueled my obsession with never missing games home or away. A few weeks later, I attended my first road game...a win at Michigan State...and my autumns have never been the same.

I had never actually seen this game, and I would probably have valued this game tape at $500. I am actually on vacation and was eating with family and listening to a band at a ski lodge when I saw this post. Luckily, I have an understanding family.

They are from the Wisconsin sports media. This was before the days of BTN so it was a Wisconsin game feed with their two guys.
I knew they were homers. I think there was a reference during the game to Wisky game broadcasts on their public network. Wow what a concept; free game coverage for fans. We've come a long way baby. I miss the Mop Lady. Huge Grin!

They are from the Wisconsin sports media. This was before the days of BTN so it was a Wisconsin game feed with their two guys.

Yeah, I remember people on this forum asking WTTV4, etc to look into simulcasting some of those away games in the pre-BTN games and the station managers saying it was a ridiculous amount of money to get the rights to broadcast the game since it was tied into some goofy Big Ten rule.

This used to be common. Local stations would broadcast the games at night on tape delay.

After watching IU crush OSU at the horseshoe in 1987, my old college roomie and I watched the replay that night. I recorded it on his VCR. Wish I knew what became of that tape.

WTTV used to broadcast the Bucket Game, again on late Saturday night tape delay. I also had a tape of the 1988 Bucket Game: a 52 - 7 pasting of the Boilers at WL. Apparently this tape ended up with the '87 OSU tape. Oy.

This used to be common. Local stations would broadcast the games at night on tape delay.

After watching IU crush OSU at the horseshoe in 1987, my old college roomie and I watched the replay that night. I recorded it on his VCR. Wish I knew what became of that tape.

WTTV used to broadcast the Bucket Game, again on late Saturday night tape delay. I also had a tape of the 1988 Bucket Game: a 52 - 7 pasting of the Boilers at WL. Apparently this tape ended up with the '87 OSU tape. Oy.
This never gets old :

Also remember when WTTV would run pre and post game shows for basketball, even when games were on CBS or ESPN.

Reactions: 76-1
This tape jogged my memory on one subject. How much talent we had on Offense and how little we did with it. Randle-El and Williams were excellent players, and Jeremi Johnson was a very good fullback. In the Offensive Line, you had Craig Osika, Anthony Oakley, Enoch DeMar, Bobby Brandt, and Kris Dielmann at Tight End. Osika and Dielmann played several years in the NFL and at least two of the other three found their way onto NFL rosters for short periods of time.
This is the same team that came home the following week to play Illinois and lost 35-14. How does this Offense only score 14 points?

Reactions: 82hoosier and RBB89
This tape jogged my memory on one subject. How much talent we had on Offense and how little we did with it. Randle-El and Williams were excellent players, and Jeremi Johnson was a very good fullback. In the Offensive Line, you had Craig Osika, Anthony Oakley, Enoch DeMar, Bobby Brandt, and Kris Dielmann at Tight End. Osika and Dielmann played several years in the NFL and at least two of the other three found their way onto NFL rosters for short periods of time.
This is the same team that came home the following week to play Illinois and lost 35-14. How does this Offense only score 14 points?
In fairness, Illinois went to the Sugar Bowl that year I believe.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT